• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best roster of coaches in the B1G?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is comical.

You can laugh if you want, but the Big 12 has two historically good football programs and a bunch of historical scrubs in no talent areas. It should be a really bad football conference with Texas and Oklahoma running over the league. Oklahoma consistently wins the conference but rarely comes out without a loss. Texas is wandering the wilderness for almost a decade now, but we should still just be winning on talent alone. But we can't, because the shitty programs have really good coaches.

Your view is warped because you don't recognize the ceilings and access to talent your programs have compared to Big 12 schools. I will say the Big 10 has some really good coaches at the moment though. Perhaps even better than the Big 12, but that is a recent development.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Mullen was already in the conference.
We'll see if Joe Moorehead does anything at MSU.
Tennessee job search was a dumpster fire, truly embarrassing.
Chad Morris didn't do a thing at SMU, can you call him an upgrade already?

The SEC just had so much turnover, as of now it has to be towards the bottom of the coaching rankings until proven otherwise.
You’re not looking at the deletions. Getting rid of McElwain, Jones and Bielema are huge upgrades regardless.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re not looking at the deletions. Getting rid of McElwain, Jones and Bielema are huge upgrades regardless.

Potentially I agree, but it's not like those guys didn't come with hype when they were hired also. We will see what the new guys do.

Jones won everywhere he was prior to Tennessee.

Bielema was a huge headline maker when they got him.

McElwain was probably the most unknown hire of the bunch, but he was a "Saban" disciple.

How is what you guys brought in more of a move the needle hire than those guys were?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's easy to make fun of, but all things considered, Muschamp has done a very good job with South Carolina so far.

Getting them to a bowl last season was an accomplishment in itself, and then winning 9 games this year, including wins over NC State and Michigan and playing Georgia close was a far bigger step up than expected.
This is very fair. I doubt he ever wins a NC, or even a division title there, but he should definitely be able to make them respectable again.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I misread your comment.

But as of this moment, there are only 4 coaches in the country with a natty to their name.
Right, I was pointing out that he had said there are 3 coaches in the SEC with National Titles.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can laugh if you want, but the Big 12 has two historically good football programs and a bunch of historical scrubs in no talent areas. It should be a really bad football conference with Texas and Oklahoma running over the league. Oklahoma consistently wins the conference but rarely comes out without a loss. Texas is wandering the wilderness for almost a decade now, but we should still just be winning on talent alone. But we can't, because the shitty programs have really good coaches.

Your view is warped because you don't recognize the ceilings and access to talent your programs have compared to Big 12 schools. I will say the Big 10 has some really good coaches at the moment though. Perhaps even better than the Big 12, but that is a recent development.
Access to talent? The Big12 has the state of Texas. That’s more talent than the Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska combined. Maybe even more.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No talent areas?? TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech are in TEXAS, arguably the most talent-rich state in the nation. With Oklahoma and Okie State just outside of Texas, all 6 of those programs should be amazing with all the talent there along with being so close to the southeast. The fact that Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Wisconsin will all finish ranked ahead of every Big 12 team but Oklahoma is a testament to B1G coaching.

Texas isn't winning because their coaches have been shit. You can't sit there and tell me guys like Kingsbury, Gundy, Horgelsen, and whoever is at Kansas should ever beat Texas, but they are because UT hasn't had a competent coach in years and years. None of those coaches has accomplished a single thing outside of the conference save for Gundy beating Stanford 7 years ago. The coaching in the Big 12 is probably 4th out of the P5, with only the Pac 12 behind.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to rank the coaches in the SEC, I'd go:

1. Nick Saban- obvious
2. Jimbo Fisher- Has a natty
3. Kirby Smart- Playing for a natty on Monday
4. Dan Mullen- Did a great job at Miss State, I'm a little nervous with him having Florida talent
5. Gus Malzahn- Has made a NCG
6. Will Muschamp- Doing good work at South Carolina
7. Mark Stoops- He has Kentucky making bowl games.
8. Derek Mason- He's no Rich Franklin, but doing about as well as one could expect at Vandy
9. Ed Orgeron- We're getting down to some slim pickings here
10. Matt Luke- No win situation at Ole Miss
11. Barry Odom- Uh, at least he made a bowl game this year?
12. Joe Moorhead- Has the potential to be a great hire, but unproven
13. Chad Morris- Not taking over the best of situations, gonna need some time
14. Jeremy Pruitt- Hard for me to see this one working out

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Access to talent? The Big12 has the state of Texas. That’s more talent than the Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska combined. Maybe even more.

Not true at all, Big 12 schools have less access to talent than any other conference. One state provides almost all of it with West Virginia, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Kansas providing next to nothing. Oklahoma has decent per capita talent but is very small, not big enough to provide for it's two programs, let alone others.

The closest thing you can find to a similar situation is the Pac 12 and California. But it's other states provide more than our other states.

It's also funny you left out the fact the Big 10 can recruit Ohio, Pennsylvania, and the entire northeast in addition to the states you named. Thats a shit load of people to sift through for talent. Fuck recruiting rankings, just on sheer numbers alone, you are going to find talent. Even if it takes some digging.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very fair. I doubt he ever wins a NC, or even a division title there, but he should definitely be able to make them respectable again.

IIRC, South Carolina was only able to win the division once under Spurrier. Spurrier got them over their ceiling a few years there, but realistically, making a bowl game every year with a 10 win season every now and then is about the best you can expect at SC.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Potentially I agree, but it's not like those guys didn't come with hype when they were hired also. We will see what the new guys do.

Jones won everywhere he was prior to Tennessee.

Bielema was a huge headline maker when they got him.

McElwain was probably the most unknown hire of the bunch, but he was a "Saban" disciple.

How is what you guys brought in more of a move the needle hire than those guys were?
I knew nothing about Jones but the other two did not impress me when they were hired.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No talent areas?? TCU, Baylor, and Texas Tech are in TEXAS, arguably the most talent-rich state in the nation. With Oklahoma and Okie State just outside of Texas, all 6 of those programs should be amazing with all the talent there along with being so close to the southeast. The fact that Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Wisconsin will all finish ranked ahead of every Big 12 team but Oklahoma is a testament to B1G coaching.

Texas isn't winning because their coaches have been shit. You can't sit there and tell me guys like Kingsbury, Gundy, Horgelsen, and whoever is at Kansas should ever beat Texas, but they are because UT hasn't had a competent coach in years and years. None of those coaches has accomplished a single thing outside of the conference save for Gundy beating Stanford 7 years ago. The coaching in the Big 12 is probably 4th out of the P5, with only the Pac 12 behind.

You guys slob on Pat Fitzgerald's knob in the Big 10 when he would be JAG in the Big 12. Every single program in the Big 12 = Northwestern outside of Texas and OU. But once again, lets focus on the success of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, etc. Dantonio is the only guy doing something unusual for it's program. Even Wisconsin seems to chug along regardless of who is coach. You see what happens when you take away Bill Snyder already. You saw what happened when Art Briles left. You saw what happened when Mike Leach left. TCU would be shit without Gary Patterson. Oklahoma St would be shit without Mike Gundy. And on and on and on...

P.S. No shit Texas has had shitty coaching. Fucking duh. Thats the point.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true at all, Big 12 schools have less access to talent than any other conference. One state provides almost all of it with West Virginia, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Kansas providing next to nothing. Oklahoma has decent per capita talent but is very small, not big enough to provide for it's two programs, let alone others.

The closest thing you can find to a similar situation is the Pac 12 and California. But it's other states provide more than our other states.

It's also funny you left out the fact the Big 10 can recruit Ohio, Pennsylvania, and the entire northeast in addition to the states you named. Thats a shit load of people to sift through for talent. Fuck recruiting rankings, just on sheer numbers alone, you are going to find talent. Even if it takes some digging.
Texas > Ohio
Pennsylvania > Oklahoma

Michigan and Wisconsin occasionally have decent recruits, but you also forget that we have ND smack in the middle of B1G country taking recruits from Indiana and Illinois (two areas that aren't exactly overflowing with top end talent), something the Big 12 doesn't have. And if you want to add the Northeast to B1G recruiting, that would mean the Big 12 has the SE. All in all, the disparity Texas has is enormous. There's also the fact that the admissions standards in the B1G are a lot higher than the Big 12 on average.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas > Ohio
Pennsylvania > Oklahoma

Michigan and Wisconsin occasionally have decent recruits, but you also forget that we have ND smack in the middle of B1G country taking recruits from Indiana and Illinois (two areas that aren't exactly overflowing with top end talent), something the Big 12 doesn't have. And if you want to add the Northeast to B1G recruiting, that would mean the Big 12 has the SE. All in all, the disparity Texas has is enormous. There's also the fact that the admissions standards in the B1G are a lot higher than the Big 12 on average.

You are smoking crack. There is this fucking juggernaut named Alabama, with his little brother named LSU, and a cheating ass school like Ole Miss (until recently) pulling in top 10 classes yearly while poaching from Texas. Oh yeah, and A&M pulls in a top 10-15 class every year as well. Cry me a river about Notre Dame. :pound:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree about Dantonio, he's been an absolutely great coach at MSU. Getting kids to want to go play in a city that's plopped down in the middle of nowhere in michigan is outstanding, and he's won 10+ game in 6 of the last 8 years.

That's 3 outstanding coaches and 1 great one, with several promising young coaches that are doing strong jobs elsewhere. What other conference can you say that about?
Hold my beer.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, we can't tackle.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys slob on Pat Fitzgerald's knob in the Big 10 when he would be JAG in the Big 12. Every single program in the Big 12 = Northwestern outside of Texas and OU. But once again, lets focus on the success of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, etc. Dantonio is the only guy doing something unusual for it's program. Even Wisconsin seems to chug along regardless of who is coach. You see what happens when you take away Bill Snyder already. You saw what happened when Art Briles left. You saw what happened when Mike Leach left. TCU would be shit without Gary Patterson. Oklahoma St would be shit without Mike Gundy. And on and on and on...

P.S. No shit Texas has had shitty coaching. Fucking duh. Thats the point.
JAG? What does that mean? And how do other Big 12 schools even compare to NW? Their admissions standards and overall budget make it damn near impossible to bring in top end recruits.

The problem with guys like Snyder, Briles, and Leach are that they never really did anything outside of the Big 12 in terms of big wins, so how does that make them elite? Dantonio beat Briles in Baylor's best year ever, and UCF beat them in their second best. Snyder hasn't beaten an OOC team worth anything in over a decade. Leach is proving at Washington State that he clearly has a cap.

The OOC success of the Big 12 points to them very clearly not having the best coaches in the nation.