• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best roster of coaches in the B1G?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, we have 3 with National Titles and another one playing for one next Monday.
Saban is obviously on another planet. If he wins Monday, he will be on a level of his own, with Meyer being a notch below. Otherwise, Fisher has a title but otherwise has been a very subpar coach with the level of talent on his roster. Who else has a title?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say on coaching talent the B1G has the best roster.
SEC improved this year.
ACC stayed about the same but is strong.
PAC took a step back.
Big 12 has taken a step back with Stoops & Briles gone and Bill S. With one foot out the door.

Note after the B1G not actually ranking.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the homer and say the big12.

Riley just took his team to the playoffs in year 1.
Snyder
Gundy has established a consistent program
Campbell made ISU relevant already
Patterson has TCU in the top 15 most of the time, and is now recruiting top 25 classes
Rhule did well at Temple, and recruited a top 25 class at Baylor even after the scandal.

Jury still out on the other 4, although coach bro is way behind in recruiting.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Snyder
Patterson has TCU in the top 15 most of the time, and is now recruiting top 25 classes
Rhule did well at Temple, and recruited a top 25 class at Baylor even after the scandal.

Right now Riley for Stoops is a downgrade but he has the potential to catch up fast.
Baylor losing Briles is a competitive downgrade (but moral upgrade).
Herman is unproven and I’m not sure he is an upgrade from Strong.

Iowa State’s situation seems to have improved greatly but can that be maintained?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Snyder

Let’s see what Riley can do once it’s his players. Oklahoma was on the verge of the playoffs last year and they made it the year before. He walked into a wonderful situation with a Heisman quarterback that most first time head coaches would never ever see.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say on coaching talent the B1G has the best roster.
SEC improved this year.
ACC stayed about the same but is strong.
PAC took a step back.
Big 12 has taken a step back with Stoops & Briles gone and Bill S. With one foot out the door.

Note after the B1G not actually ranking.
Trading Sumlin for Fisher could be a huge bump but it could also be lateral. Sumlin was mediocre, but while Fisher does have a NC and another top 5 finish to his name, they were a joke this year despite having some of the best talent in the entire nation. Losing your starting QB shouldn't mean 7 wins when you have 4-5* kids at every other position.

Saban is still on top of the CFB world, and Kirby Smart is well on his way up. Not sure what to think of Malzahn, and I'd have to think Auburn would consider this season overall not what you wanted, despite beating Bama and UGA. Muschamp will likely improve Florida and could get them back to a perennial top 10/15 team.

Otherwise, nobody in the SEC is very good.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Snyder

Riley appear legit but we'll see how he makes the transition next year with Kyler Murray.

I'd say Snyder and Fitzgerald are on the same level in terms of doing a lot with next to nothing. They're both averaging 7.5-8 wins a year over the last decade (77 wins for Fitz, 79 wins for Snyder)

Gundy has established a consistent program, but who has he ever beaten? Does he have a win over a team that has even finished top 10? Okie State has a ton of money and not very high admission standards.

Campbell has done a great job, let's see if he can build on it. He's on that Jeff Brohm level.

Patterson is a good coach but just can't seem to get over the hump. 2014 was his pinnacle and then he got back this year after a horrible 2016. He's probably at or maybe just a bit below Dantonio.

Rhule hasn't done anything but lose yet.

Overall the depth isn't there that the B1G has.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Sumlin for Fisher could be a huge bump but it could also be lateral. Sumlin was mediocre, but while Fisher does have a NC and another top 5 finish to his name, they were a joke this year despite having some of the best talent in the entire nation. Losing your starting QB shouldn't mean 7 wins when you have 4-5* kids at every other position.

Saban is still on top of the CFB world, and Kirby Smart is well on his way up. Not sure what to think of Malzahn, and I'd have to think Auburn would consider this season overall not what you wanted, despite beating Bama and UGA. Muschamp will likely improve Florida and could get them back to a perennial top 10/15 team.

Otherwise, nobody in the SEC is very good.
Dan Mullen to Florida is big upgrade.
Joe Moorehead to Miss State is a solid hire.
Anyone over Butch Jones is a huge upgrade.
Chad Morris to Arkansas is an upgrade.

Overall the conference upgraded this year.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley appear legit but we'll see how he makes the transition next year with Kyler Murray.

I'd say Snyder and Fitzgerald are on the same level in terms of doing a lot with next to nothing. They're both averaging 7.5-8 wins a year over the last decade (77 wins for Fitz, 79 wins for Snyder)

Gundy has established a consistent program, but who has he ever beaten? Does he have a win over a team that has even finished top 10? Okie State has a ton of money and not very high admission standards.

Campbell has done a great job, let's see if he can build on it. He's on that Jeff Brohm level.

Patterson is a good coach but just can't seem to get over the hump. 2014 was his pinnacle and then he got back this year after a horrible 2016. He's probably at or maybe just a bit below Dantonio.

Rhule hasn't done anything but lose yet.

Overall the depth isn't there that the B1G has.

Now that Patterson is recruiting better he might get over the hump, watch out for next season as he finally has a highly recruited QB.

Not sure of Stanford was top 10 when he beat them in the Fiesta bowl, but he keeps winning.

Rhule has kept the recruiting at a high level, he'll win soon.

Riley also just landed a good recruiting class.

Is the BIG deep, or top heavy? Now that Harbaugh is exposed, takes some of the shine off the BIG.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dan Mullen was already in the conference.
We'll see if Joe Moorehead does anything at MSU.
Tennessee job search was a dumpster fire, truly embarrassing.
Chad Morris didn't do a thing at SMU, can you call him an upgrade already?

The SEC just had so much turnover, as of now it has to be towards the bottom of the coaching rankings until proven otherwise.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO his 2010 team was better.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would say so, though I think Mississippi St. is gonna take a little while. I meant Mullen, not Muschamp, and yes he's a HUGE upgrade over McElwain. I hated that hire from the get-go. Mullen could legitimately win 8-9 games next year.

I've never understood the luster of Chad Morris. He was a decent OC at Clemson, but they never got over the hump until he left, so you've gotta wonder if he wasn't holding them back a little. He was OK at SMU, but I'd say that's at best. Just coming in, I don't know that he's an upgrade over Bielema. Coming into Arkansas, at least, Bielema was far more accomplished.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that Patterson is recruiting better he might get over the hump, watch out for next season as he finally has a highly recruited QB.

Not sure of Stanford was top 10 when he beat them in the Fiesta bowl, but he keeps winning.

Rhule has kept the recruiting at a high level, he'll win soon.

Riley also just landed a good recruiting class.

Is the BIG deep, or top heavy? Now that Harbaugh is exposed, takes some of the shine off the BIG.
You might be right on TCU, I'm excited to see them next year. Our game with them at JerryWorld might be one I've gotta go to.

Stanford seems to be by far his best win. Other than that, is it Colorado last year?

Having a top 25 class means nothing if you can't coach. Maryland has back-to-back top 20 classes but you have to put it all together. Rhule was a trainwreck year 1, even with the issues with the program.

I like Riley, but let's see if he's for real.

The B1G is very deep. Scott Frost is better than any new hire at HC in any conference this year arguably, and he's 9th right now in my rankings. I wouldn't say Harbaugh has been exposed, but he's certainly sinking. Next year will be an enormous year. If he comes back and wins 10-11 games, he's back in the top 5. At this point, though, he'd still rank probably top 3-4 in the Big 12.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 has 3 outstanding coaches in Urban Meyer, James Franklin & Paul Chryst. Mark Dantonio is very good, but not great. Jim Harbaugh is the best of what's left. Most everybody else is inconsistent, unproven, or just outright bad. It remains to be seen if Scott Frost can produce the same kind of turnaround at Nebraska that he pulled off at UCF, but he has the possibility to be up among the top skippers, as well.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 has consistently had the best coaches in the nation with little fanfare because of the ceilings of the places they coach compared to other conferences top teams.

I mean think about it, the NFL draft says every single year that the Big 12 shouldn't be able to compete from a talent standpoint with the other Power 5 conferences, yet they do just fine every single year. That is pure coaching and scheme.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 10 has 3 outstanding coaches in Urban Meyer, James Franklin & Paul Chryst. Mark Dantonio is very good, but not great. Jim Harbaugh is the best of what's left. Most everybody else is inconsistent, unproven, or just outright bad. It remains to be seen if Scott Frost can produce the same kind of turnaround at Nebraska that he pulled off at UCF, but he has the possibility to be up among the top skippers, as well.
I would disagree about Dantonio, he's been an absolutely great coach at MSU. Getting kids to want to go play in a city that's plopped down in the middle of nowhere in michigan is outstanding, and he's won 10+ game in 6 of the last 8 years.

That's 3 outstanding coaches and 1 great one, with several promising young coaches that are doing strong jobs elsewhere. What other conference can you say that about?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 has consistently had the best coaches in the nation with little fanfare because of the ceilings of the places they coach compared to other conferences top teams.

I mean think about it, the NFL draft says every single year that the Big 12 shouldn't be able to compete from a talent standpoint with the other Power 5 conferences, yet they do just fine every single year. That is pure coaching and scheme.
This is comical.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban is obviously on another planet. If he wins Monday, he will be on a level of his own, with Meyer being a notch below. Otherwise, Fisher has a title but otherwise has been a very subpar coach with the level of talent on his roster. Who else has a title?

Dabo

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's easy to make fun of, but all things considered, Muschamp has done a very good job with South Carolina so far.

Getting them to a bowl last season was an accomplishment in itself, and then winning 9 games this year, including wins over NC State and Michigan and playing Georgia close was a far bigger step up than expected.