• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best roster of coaches in the B1G?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold my beer.

Hey man, didn't you hear, your program is in Texas. You have close access to Texas recruits all located in Dallas, Houston, and east Texas. Wait, that's like 12 hours away?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are smoking crack. There is this fucking juggernaut named Alabama, with his little brother named LSU, and a cheating ass school like Ole Miss (until recently) pulling in top 10 classes yearly while poaching from Texas. Oh yeah, and A&M pulls in a top 10-15 class every year as well. Cry me a river about Notre Dame. :pound:
Yeah, those schools are in SEC territory. What Big 12 schools are located in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana again?

If you want to include SEC country as part of the Big 12 footprint, then your argument becomes even that much weaker. Urban has no problem pulling from Texas and the Southeast. Hell, Harbaugh has done well in that regard. How does this help your argument?

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JAG? What does that mean? And how do other Big 12 schools even compare to NW? Their admissions standards and overall budget make it damn near impossible to bring in top end recruits.

The problem with guys like Snyder, Briles, and Leach are that they never really did anything outside of the Big 12 in terms of big wins, so how does that make them elite? Dantonio beat Briles in Baylor's best year ever, and UCF beat them in their second best. Snyder hasn't beaten an OOC team worth anything in over a decade. Leach is proving at Washington State that he clearly has a cap.

The OOC success of the Big 12 points to them very clearly not having the best coaches in the nation.

The OOC success of the Big 12 has been >>>> than the Big 10 until very very recently. Some of you guys sound just like you did circa 2006 before the SEC took your cookies. It's a vicious cycle up in the midwest apparently. Arrogance that leads to being humbled.

Also, Dantonio hasn't won shit either on the national level. Because he is limited just like Leach, Gundy, and Briles were by the ceiling of the program. Doesn't mean they aren't great coaches though.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, those schools are in SEC territory. What Big 12 schools are located in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana again?

If you want to include SEC country as part of the Big 12 footprint, then your argument becomes even that much weaker. Urban has no problem pulling from Texas and the Southeast. Hell, Harbaugh has done well in that regard. How does this help your argument?

Because nobody is going to Ames Iowa to play football dumb ass. That's the damn point genius. :L

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OOC success of the Big 12 has been >>>> than the Big 10 until very very recently. Some of you guys sound just like you did circa 2006 before the SEC took your cookies. It's a vicious cycle up in the midwest apparently. Arrogance that leads to being humbled.

Also, Dantonio hasn't won shit either on the national level. Because he is limited just like Leach, Gundy, and Briles were by the ceiling of the program. Doesn't mean they aren't great coaches though.
Who has the Big 12 beaten OOC in this decade? Oklahoma has done work. Okie State has a good win over Stanford 6 years ago. Texas hasn't done shit. Baylor, nothing. Kansas State, Texas Tech, WVU, nothing.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has the Big 12 beaten OOC in this decade? Oklahoma has done work. Okie State has a good win over Stanford 6 years ago. Texas hasn't done shit. Baylor, nothing. Kansas State, Texas Tech, WVU, nothing.

Outside of Ohio St, what has the Big 10 done OOC? Yeah, lets exclude the top programs to make a stupid point. :L

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because nobody is going to Ames Iowa to play football dumb ass. That's the damn point genius. :L
So who the fuck is going to Iowa City then? Seriously? East Lansing is only close(ish) to Detroit, which is more of a detriment than benefit. Happy Valley is 100 miles from either Pittsburgh or Philly, literally in the middle of nowhere. Champaign and Bloomington are tiny towns that are both freezing right now. Are you seriously playing this card??

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Ohio St, what has the Big 10 done OOC? Yeah, lets exclude the top programs to make a stupid point. :L
Penn State just beat #11 Washington, MSU just beat #18 Washington State, Wisconsin just won a road game against #10 Miami.

Your move.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty hard to argue that the B1G has the best coaches in the nation after this year. The only question now is, what's the conference pecking order?

1. Urban Meyer (OSU) - still king of the conference, killing it in recruiting, and remains the only coach in the conference with a national title
2. James Franklin (PSU) - barely over Chryst, but he has taken Penn State from mediocre to nationally elite in back-to-back years, recruiting fantastic
3. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin) - has Wisconsin on a great trajectory with 34 wins in the last 3 years and seems to have a great base of young talent
4. Mark Dantonio (MSU) - rebounded in a big way and looks to have righted the ship after 1 horrible year, 10+ wins in 4 of last 5 years
5. Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern) - 10 wins in 2 of the last 3 years at a school like Northwestern is fantastic, would be a force at a school with a major budget
6. Jeff Brohm (Purdue) - took Purdue from 3-9 to 7-6 and a bowl win in 1 year without a single player I've heard of and has a great overall track record
7. Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) - steady every year, bring Iowa into the top 10 from time to time, but ended 2017 strong with one of the best wins in all of college football this year
8. Jim Harbaugh (michigan) - mostly beating the teams he should but can't beat his rivals, lacks any kind of signature win with top recruiting classes
9. Scott Frost (Nebraska) - only this low because he hasn't coached a game but he should shoot up if 2017 is any indication of what he can do
10. DJ Durkin (Maryland) - was killed with injuries this season but had a great win to start when everyone was healthy, and is recruiting fairly well
11. Chris Ash (Rutgers) - has a long way to go at Rutgers, but had a 2 game improvement this year and could possibly continue to climb with continuity
12. PJ Fleck (Minnesota) - took a very concerning step back this year from 9-4 in 2016, finishing 5-7 this season, but still has some momentum
13. Tom Allen (Indiana) - 3 straight years of no improvement at Indiana, missing a bowl this year for the first time since 2014, not all his fault but has a lot of holes
14. Lovie Smith (Illinois) - how a formerly successful NFL coach can fail this badly on the college level is hard to understand, but they aren't even on the radar right now
Brohm can't be that high.

Ferentz has to be above him. I'd Flip Allen, Ash and Fleck. Lovie shouldn't even get to be on the list. I'd Flip Franklin and Chryst too. But it doesn't really matter.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man, didn't you hear, your program is in Texas. You have close access to Texas recruits all located in Dallas, Houston, and east Texas. Wait, that's like 12 hours away?
Yeah, I heard. We may be in Texas but we are closer to San Diego than Houston. Hell, Midland and Abilene are about the same distance as Tucson and Phoenix and they are considered to be in West Texas.

Our talent level has really gone down since Kugler took over. He's a great offensivle line coach..and probably a good football coach. But, HE WAS A HORRIBLE RECRUITER as were his assistants obviously. We don't need a coach, we need a recruiter...and we might as well cheat in doing that since we ain't got a lot to offer. Used to have Juarez for a good time...but that place is now as dangerous as Afghanistan. We do have a lot better facilities than people realize.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They get Detroit kids all the time.

And East Coast kids. Swamp Rat Floridians don't even know their directions in English. Easy to trick.

So nobody is clearly incorrect.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty hard to argue that the B1G has the best coaches in the nation after this year. The only question now is, what's the conference pecking order?

1. Urban Meyer (OSU) - still king of the conference, killing it in recruiting, and remains the only coach in the conference with a national title
2. James Franklin (PSU) - barely over Chryst, but he has taken Penn State from mediocre to nationally elite in back-to-back years, recruiting fantastic
3. Paul Chryst (Wisconsin) - has Wisconsin on a great trajectory with 34 wins in the last 3 years and seems to have a great base of young talent
4. Mark Dantonio (MSU) - rebounded in a big way and looks to have righted the ship after 1 horrible year, 10+ wins in 4 of last 5 years
5. Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern) - 10 wins in 2 of the last 3 years at a school like Northwestern is fantastic, would be a force at a school with a major budget
6. Jeff Brohm (Purdue) - took Purdue from 3-9 to 7-6 and a bowl win in 1 year without a single player I've heard of and has a great overall track record
7. Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) - steady every year, bring Iowa into the top 10 from time to time, but ended 2017 strong with one of the best wins in all of college football this year
8. Jim Harbaugh (michigan) - mostly beating the teams he should but can't beat his rivals, lacks any kind of signature win with top recruiting classes
9. Scott Frost (Nebraska) - only this low because he hasn't coached a game but he should shoot up if 2017 is any indication of what he can do
10. DJ Durkin (Maryland) - was killed with injuries this season but had a great win to start when everyone was healthy, and is recruiting fairly well
11. Chris Ash (Rutgers) - has a long way to go at Rutgers, but had a 2 game improvement this year and could possibly continue to climb with continuity
12. PJ Fleck (Minnesota) - took a very concerning step back this year from 9-4 in 2016, finishing 5-7 this season, but still has some momentum
13. Tom Allen (Indiana) - 3 straight years of no improvement at Indiana, missing a bowl this year for the first time since 2014, not all his fault but has a lot of holes
14. Lovie Smith (Illinois) - how a formerly successful NFL coach can fail this badly on the college level is hard to understand, but they aren't even on the radar right now

I don't get the Chryst hype. Wisconsin has a system run by Barry, ever coach wins 10 games there. They don't do much prior or after their stops in Madison.

I think the Big 12 matches up well with any conference. Patterson, Gundy, and Snyder are a top 3 that most conferences can't touch. Campbell at ISU, has a great trajectory. If Stoops was still at OU, I don't think it would even be an argument.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can laugh if you want, but the Big 12 has two historically good football programs and a bunch of historical scrubs in no talent areas. It should be a really bad football conference with Texas and Oklahoma running over the league. Oklahoma consistently wins the conference but rarely comes out without a loss. Texas is wandering the wilderness for almost a decade now, but we should still just be winning on talent alone. But we can't, because the shitty programs have really good coaches.

Your view is warped because you don't recognize the ceilings and access to talent your programs have compared to Big 12 schools. I will say the Big 10 has some really good coaches at the moment though. Perhaps even better than the Big 12, but that is a recent development.

Did someone from the state of Texas just say the B1G programs have access to more talent than Big 12 programs? The state of Texas alone has more blue chip talent available than almost the entire B1G footprint combined.

Texas had 47 blue chip recruits in 2017, if you added Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin — they had 46 blue chip recruits combined in 2017.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penn State just beat #11 Washington, MSU just beat #18 Washington State, Wisconsin just won a road game against #10 Miami.

Your move.

So at the end of the year you will have zero top 10 wins OOC? Cool, so you guys haven't done shit either by your own standards you set for the Big 12. And this argument has never been about who has the better conference. The Big 10 by a mile in my eyes. I'm strictly talking about who has played above their heads for a really long time now. Only Texas has played below their potential. Everybody else is mostly at or above their potential in the Big 12. The Big 10 has much more potential as a league. Nebraska isn't even going yet. The Big 10 is the only league competitive with the SEC for potential. And they haven't lived up to it for a really long time. It seems you have the right coaches finally, hopefully it works out. I've got to go to work.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did someone from the state of Texas just say the B1G programs have access to more talent than Big 12 programs? The state of Texas alone has more blue chip talent available than almost the entire B1G footprint combined.

Texas had 47 blue chip recruits in 2017, if you added Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Minnesota and Wisconsin — they had 46 blue chip recruits combined in 2017.

What the hell is a blue chip recruit? Define?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State has beat PAC12 champ stanford in the Rose Bowl, Big12 Champ Baylor in the Cotton Bowl, SEC East Champ Georgia, we beat Oregon when they finished like #16. That’s all in like the last 5 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the Chryst hype. Wisconsin has a system run by Barry, ever coach wins 10 games there. They don't do much prior or after their stops in Madison.

I think the Big 12 matches up well with any conference. Patterson, Gundy, and Snyder are a top 3 that most conferences can't touch. Campbell at ISU, has a great trajectory. If Stoops was still at OU, I don't think it would even be an argument.
I like Chryst better than any coach they've had since Barry, honestly. He's a Wisconsin guy through and through and he gets those kids to play their asses off. Finishing 13-1 with two ranked wins while Alex Hornibrook is their QB is no small feat, regardless of SOS. That dude is trash. I've been saying recently that I'm glad Wisconsin didn't get/won't be able to get Joe Burrow from Ohio State. He would've been starting there from the start of 2016, and he's legit. I think he transfers somewhere and puts up monster numbers. Might've been the piece Wisconsin was missing.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Chryst better than any coach they've had since Barry, honestly. He's a Wisconsin guy through and through and he gets those kids to play their asses off. Finishing 13-1 with two ranked wins while Alex Hornibrook is their QB is no small feat, regardless of SOS. That dude is trash. I've been saying recently that I'm glad Wisconsin didn't get/won't be able to get Joe Burrow from Ohio State. He would've been starting there from the start of 2016, and he's legit. I think he transfers somewhere and puts up monster numbers. Might've been the piece Wisconsin was missing.

Maybe I am over playing the Wisconsin culture. I just didn't see that greatness coming through at Pitt

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So at the end of the year you will have zero top 10 wins OOC? Cool, so you guys haven't done shit either by your own standards you set for the Big 12. And this argument has never been about who has the better conference. The Big 10 by a mile in my eyes. I'm strictly talking about who has played above their heads for a really long time now. Only Texas has played below their potential. Everybody else is mostly at or above their potential in the Big 12. The Big 10 has much more potential as a league. Nebraska isn't even going yet. The Big 10 is the only league competitive with the SEC for potential. And they haven't lived up to it for a really long time. It seems you have the right coaches finally, hopefully it works out. I've got to go to work.
You said "The OOC success of the Big 12 has been >>>> than the Big 10 until very very recently."

I proved you very, very wrong. That's the point.

The rest of your post, regarding the B1G being the better conference and having more potential, is correct, but there's no reason it should be. It also certainly doesn't illustrate your "the Big 12 has the best coaches in the nation" quote from earlier.