• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers OTAs / Training Camp

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
LaMichael James - RB - 49ers

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said RB LaMichael James (elbow) is expected to be ready Week 1.

James is expected to miss a month after dislocating his elbow for the third time in his career. With Kendall Hunter also on the shelf, rookie Carlos Hyde has stepped in as the No. 2 back in San Francisco. James will serve as a return man and change of pace option when healthy.
Source: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Jul 30 - 3:16 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Boone - G - 49ers

The Sacramento Bee reports the 49ers recently reached out to holdout RG Alex Boone, but Boone "remains resolute in his stance."

The 49ers have about $10 million in cap space, while Boone is the 43rd-highest paid guard in the league and wants to be paid like a starter. Joe Looney has been filling in at right guard during Boone's absence. He's reportedly looked pretty good. It's unclear if the 49ers plan to buckle and work out a new deal with Boone. But he's apparently ready to stay home until then.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Jul 30 - 11:35 AM

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Boone - G - 49ers

The Sacramento Bee reports the 49ers recently reached out to holdout RG Alex Boone, but Boone "remains resolute in his stance."

The 49ers have about $10 million in cap space, while Boone is the 43rd-highest paid guard in the league and wants to be paid like a starter. Joe Looney has been filling in at right guard during Boone's absence. He's reportedly looked pretty good. It's unclear if the 49ers plan to buckle and work out a new deal with Boone. But he's apparently ready to stay home until then.

Not sure I understand this one. Aren't there 64 starting guards in the league? Boone is underpaid and he's paid less than your average starting guard, but he is paid like a starter right? Or are you only paid like a starter if you're the 32nd (or higher) paid?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have high hopes for Tank, good to read he's doing well. Also cautiously optimistic about Morris developing into a real contributor. The Dial and Gabbert stuff is surprising to me (especially Gabbert) but great to read.

Not sure how to interpret the Aldon thing. Has he been impressive just by virtue of showing up and not being distracted by all his personal stuff? Or is he impressive for that, plus the fact that he's beasting on the field more than usual? If so, wow. If Aldon is actually better than he has been, this D could be really, really nasty.

Dial sounds like he is going to be a beast. Harbaugh is talking like he might be a starter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand this one. Aren't there 64 starting guards in the league? Boone is underpaid and he's paid less than your average starting guard, but he is paid like a starter right? Or are you only paid like a starter if you're the 32nd (or higher) paid?

I think the 49ers stance on this is that they paid him when he wasn't even playing(starter or back up). They paid him up front and took a chance on him.

When VD was sitting out the 49ers reasoning was we paid u a front loaded contract. Plus he is still being paid like a top 3 TE. He had no defense. Boone has a fight here but he also has to remember what the 49ers did for him. To be honest this might hurt Boone because it looks like 49ers found his replacement.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Boone - G - 49ers

49ers will pick from Iupati or Boone because Looney will take one of their spots. If im the niners pay Boone because he will be cheaper then Iupati and then use rest of money on Crabtree. Let Iupati walk. Next year Looney steps in to be a starter.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Thomas is currently on the IR so, when next season comes along, watch out!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes, he's paid like a slightly below average starter. It's not like he's getting nothing, but he's a very good player, who would make much more on the open market. It's just a tough situation. We're not going to give him what he'd be worth on the open market because we took a chance on him before he was that player and signed him to a long deal. Unless he's willing to sign an extension that pays him, say, top-20 money instead of top-10 money, I can't see anything happening.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dial sounds like he is going to be a beast. Harbaugh is talking like he might be a starter.

That's what Harbaugh does. Let me know when Fangio starts talking that way. I can't see Fangio starting anyone over Smith and McDonald, though we should see a pretty frequent rotation this year. I'd really like to see more of what the Hawks did last year, with regular rotations across the front seven (getting Lemonier and Skuta in on some action, too). That would allow guys to maximize their on-field snaps and stay fresh.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gotta say, I don't love all the INTs Kap has thrown. It's still early, he's never been a great practice player, and he hasn't thrown a lot of INTs in games, but it seems like every day he's throwing a pick or two. Including one yesterday in a one-on-one drill. That's a bit worrisome. Camp is basically geared toward QBs playing well.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, I don't love all the INTs Kap has thrown. It's still early, he's never been a great practice player, and he hasn't thrown a lot of INTs in games, but it seems like every day he's throwing a pick or two. Including one yesterday in a one-on-one drill. That's a bit worrisome. Camp is basically geared toward QBs playing well.

seemed plenty vs Seattle...

but yes, he doesn't really throw many....

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, its "I believe it when I see it.."

Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson as WRs and VD as TE... that ball should not see the same prints consecutively IMO... its on Kap to throw it around whether its by design or digesting the play.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I almost think it should see the same prints consecutively.

Then when the defense over compensates, Kap sees which one of the other three targets is open.

Now this requires him to go through progressions and read pre snap... Dunno if he can do that consistently or not yet...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

For the most part the reports I've seen of him have been positive so in a way I see this as good news because if he was completely torching the secondary that's a bad sign for our defense.

So the fact there is some win some lose some between the offense and defense I take as a positive.

My biggest concern with Kap is his ability to effectively and more importantly efficiently read defenses as I feel if he can master that his other issues like accuracy will fall into place and that's something that's hard to judge from TC.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
For the most part the reports I've seen of him have been positive so in a way I see this as good news because if he was completely torching the secondary that's a bad sign for our defense.

So the fact there is some win some lose some between the offense and defense I take as a positive.

My biggest concern with Kap is his ability to effectively and more importantly efficiently read defenses as I feel if he can master that his other issues like accuracy will fall into place and that's something that's hard to judge from TC.

I agree with this 100%. Not reading too much into practice reports, and honestly I don't have a great frame of reference since I don't follow the nuances of other teams the way I do the Niners. But I'd be a bit surprised if, say, Drew Brees threw many INTs in camp. Though this is the time to try things, take some chances, and learn your limitations. It just sounds like a few of these INTs have been on bad reads rather than, say, trying to force the ball downfield in a headwind.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost think it should see the same prints consecutively.

Then when the defense over compensates, Kap sees which one of the other three targets is open.

Now this requires him to go through progressions and read pre snap... Dunno if he can do that consistently or not yet...

Kap drop the ball on that logic last season.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I agree with this 100%. Not reading too much into practice reports, and honestly I don't have a great frame of reference since I don't follow the nuances of other teams the way I do the Niners. But I'd be a bit surprised if, say, Drew Brees threw many INTs in camp. Though this is the time to try things, take some chances, and learn your limitations. It just sounds like a few of these INTs have been on bad reads rather than, say, trying to force the ball downfield in a headwind.

Well in regards to Brees I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare his camp to Kap's camp because Brees (along with guys like Manning, Brady) have been in the same system for years and have already peaked at their skills as QBs. Young guys like Kap still have some room to grow and haven't hit their stride yet. I'm sure if you looked at the TC's of the great ones when they were early in their careers their would probably be a quite a few blemishes. Especially Brees who was pretty bad early in his career before he figured it out.

When it comes to Kap and really any young player is when they stop growing and improving is when you become very concerned and I think it's going to be hard to get a good feel if Kap has improved until the season starts when teams are game planning and it's all business.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well in regards to Brees I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare his camp to Kap's camp because Brees (along with guys like Manning, Brady) have been in the same system for years and have already peaked at their skills as QBs. Young guys like Kap still have some room to grow and haven't hit their stride yet. I'm sure if you looked at the TC's of the great ones when they were early in their careers their would probably be a quite a few blemishes. Especially Brees who was pretty bad early in his career before he figured it out.

When it comes to Kap and really any young player is when they stop growing and improving is when you become very concerned and I think it's going to be hard to get a good feel if Kap has improved until the season starts when teams are game planning and it's all business.

Sure. That's entirely fair. I just want him to be a great passer today, not three years from now. Is that really so much to ask?