• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2023 Lions regular season game thread

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many mental fuck ups combined with Ben Johnson being atrocious inside the 10 with his play calling. We have the best short yardage back in the league and yet he has the scat back trying to run it in from the 5. Seriously need to stop with the pitty pat bullshit close to the goal line. Put in Monte and Skipper and run it down their fucking throats. No need for the fancy pants bullshit. Campbell also taking too many chances. Could have had an extra FG in the first half that would have won the game without any drama.

Agreed. My biggest pet peeve about Johnson's play calling.

When Johnson left Montgomery on the bench inside the red zone one drive after he ran through Dallas like a hot knife through butter inside the redzone, I nearly threw the remote through the tv.

Gibbs is good, but Montgomery is better. Especially in short yardage situations. There's no comparison. Johnson doesn't seem to understand that. At all. And going empty on the goal line is even worse, which he does may too much.

I like what Johnson has done with the offense scheme-wise, but I can't stand his play-calling. When Montogmery is getting a minimum 4 yards per carry, keep feeding him.

Last edited:

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the bone headed call by Brad Allen the NFL now has had an officiating crew fucking the Lions at least 1 game for the 30th consecutive year. Now the Longest streak in sports history

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the bone headed call by Brad Allen the NFL now has had an officiating crew fucking the Lions at least 1 game for the 30th consecutive year. Now the Longest streak in sports history
Zebras don’t like Lions - it’s in their nature.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buggs is gone. I dont like that but it seems there was an issue between him and coaches. He is still easily the 2nd best DT on the team but both sides have moved on. Hopefully we can get that big fat freak from TX in the draft.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buggs is gone. I dont like that but it seems there was an issue between him and coaches. He is still easily the 2nd best DT on the team but both sides have moved on. Hopefully we can get that big fat freak from TX in the draft.
I have no idea what happened there, and I don't think his play led to this. Whenever they let him play he was clearly better than all non-Alim DTs. I still think Martin has a bright future. I am not terribly worried about struggles in year one, I think we see something different next year.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reviewing the play two point conversion and seeing a couple of days of analysis, it seems to me that the ref blew it, but that the Lions were trying to be too cute as to how they were disguising the person being brought in as eligible. Should have kept that level of trickeration for the Conference Championship or Super Bowl. They have the best crews, the ones that can pay attention for the complete game (and overtime if it comes to that).

What I found irritating, though, is after getting screwed by the refs, Dan basically asked them to do it again and again. Put your temper tantrum away, and coach the moment. Trick didn’t work - go back to playing it straight. Win the f*ing game by believing in your team’s athletic abilities instead of their acting.

Looking forward to the Lions focus and win at home against the Vikings this weekend. Time to taste winning again.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reviewing the play two point conversion and seeing a couple of days of analysis, it seems to me that the ref blew it, but that the Lions were trying to be too cute as to how they were disguising the person being brought in as eligible. Should have kept that level of trickeration for the Conference Championship or Super Bowl. They have the best crews, the ones that can pay attention for the complete game (and overtime if it comes to that).

What I found irritating, though, is after getting screwed by the refs, Dan basically asked them to do it again and again. Put your temper tantrum away, and coach the moment. Trick didn’t work - go back to playing it straight. Win the f*ing game by believing in your team’s athletic abilities instead of their acting.

Looking forward to the Lions focus and win at home against the Vikings this weekend. Time to taste winning again.
I don't agree with the too cute part. It was a very intelligent play draw up that was a completely new twist in a play type. It is the kind of thing you can do rarely, but should almost always work when you do. The play was fantastic and with a decent officiating crew that is all anyone is talking about.

Small tweaks to eligible receivers was a Stapleton Belichick when he was at his peak, building on that does not hurt.

I don't even mind the play call on the final attempt. Mitchell was open and had every chance to extend over the line, if Goff is accurate on that throw Lions still win.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions Pro Bowlers: Hutchingson, Laporta, Ragnow, Sewell, and Reeves-Maybin.

Ragnow is a legacy pick, but I am good with it. Three of our Pro bowlers are 23 or younger, I like that a lot.

My initial reaction of Amon-Ra was shafted, but Brown, Lamb, Evans, Nacua....I think he just missing it is right.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions Pro Bowlers: Hutchingson, Laporta, Ragnow, Sewell, and Reeves-Maybin.

Ragnow is a legacy pick, but I am good with it. Three of our Pro bowlers are 23 or younger, I like that a lot.

My initial reaction of Amon-Ra was shafted, but Brown, Lamb, Evans, Nacua....I think he just missing it is right.
Nacua and Staff getting the nod over Goff and ARSB kinda annoys me.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is that Campbell told the refs before the game that he was going to do that and they still screwed it up. Belichick used these tactics constantly and yet the refs never messed it up. I wonder what the difference is?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea what happened there, and I don't think his play led to this. Whenever they let him play he was clearly better than all non-Alim DTs. I still think Martin has a bright future. I am not terribly worried about struggles in year one, I think we see something different next year.

I have no idea, either. It's been bizarre all season. Particularly after him being such a feel-good story last year.

And no, it couldn't have been about his play. He's definitely more impactful on the field than Benito Jones, et al.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLPA voted on the best coordinators. Glenn was voted as best DC, Fipp was rated 4th best Special teams, and Johnson did not make the top 5.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLPA voted on the best coordinators. Glenn was voted as best DC, Fipp was rated 4th best Special teams, and Johnson did not make the top 5.
Johnson will be an HC and Glenn should be fired. WHat you are referring to was a survey of players and who they thought was best

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson will be an HC and Glenn should be fired. WHat you are referring to was a survey of players and who they thought was best
I am well aware of what the poll was. It is why I said NFLPA in the post.

Glenn missed the mark at the start, the job he has done in the last 4-5 weeks has been remarkable. You can't doubt the changes he made in blitzing has not led to significant improvements

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ll never understand the folks who want Glenn fired.

He’s played the hand he was dealt. And his defense has kinda out played its talent level.

Nobody wants Brad Holmes fired. And he’s the reason why Glenn has the players he has to deal with. Not that anyone should want Holmes fired. But I don’t know why anyone would want Ben Johnson as a HC either.

Hope somebody takes him though.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He’s played the hand he was dealt. And his defense has kinda out played its talent level.

Nobody wants Brad Holmes fired. And he’s the reason why Glenn has the players he has to deal with. Not that anyone should want Holmes fired. But I don’t know why anyone would want Ben Johnson as a HC either.

I was a big fan of Glenn being fired at first. Lack of talent or not, we had not seem real improvement or innovation in years.

He has earned his time to continue recently. I would love to see what he could do if we added some key pieces on the defense now.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was a big fan of Glenn being fired at first. Lack of talent or not, we had not seem real improvement or innovation in years.

He has earned his time to continue recently. I would love to see what he could do if we added some key pieces on the defense now.
I have felt that our players have outplayed his scheme rather than his scheme making players better. Far too many times we see guys chasing down plays. Now it has been better last 3 games has been better.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have felt that our players have outplayed his scheme rather than his scheme making players better. Far too many times we see guys chasing down plays. Now it has been better last 3 games has been better.
I think our defensive talent is well below an average playoff team.

Lack of penalties and ball control on offense has helped mask it.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a whole lot more that goes into it, not least of which is where you go and who the GM is there. But I will go out on a limb and say Glenn will be a better HC than Ben Johnson. But I think both will be head coaches and probably as early as next year. And honestly I think both will be successful. Glenn reminds me of Demeco Ryan's a lot. And obviously the players love him if he's #1 in the league by the entire NFLPA. These guys watch more tape than any of us do watch live. I would guess they see things we don't see scheme wise. But I'll admit part of it is probably popularity contest. Not sure that's a bad thing though. Head coaches don't have to do all of the scheming, but they do have to get their guys to play for them.

Look at the defense last year vs this. There's very little roster improvement but a huge on field improvement. I agree that much of it is playing with a lead and not as many short fields via turnovers. But even the hot streak to finish last year we were outscoring teams. This whole season we have had defensive stops and/or turnovers in every game that I remember. We didn't have to flat outscore teams.