• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Packers regular season thread

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting thread started for regular season.

Bears week 1 opponent, new era begins on Sunday.

Hopefully defense improved over last year and running game can be very effective.

With Love and young WR crew passing somewhat of a question mark. Honestly I will be happy if by end of year see good improvement with Love and the young WRs.

For me the key if Packers want to win week 1 are:
- Contain Fields scrambling/running and make him throw the ball
- win turnover margin
- Avoid penalties
- Moving the chains with running the ball on 3rd/4th and short when going for it

rtfgbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Campbell is healthy at MLB and our young guys on the Dline can hold up well enough against their run game so Quay Walker as a spy on Fields is an option.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers start with big win over rival.

Good:
- Packers controlled line of scrimmage on both sides of ball
- Defense 4 sacks and 7 tackles for loss... rookies getting in on sacks (Van Ness and Brooks)
- Love looked poised and no big mistakes for 2nd start... made some big throws on 3rd and 4th down
- Aaron Jones running and catching the ball
- Packers defense getting some turnovers and scoring TD.. quite the run by Walker
- Packers special teams with some big returns
- Doubs couple of TDs... 2nd was big time play

Bad:
- Packers offense without Jones was not as productive
- Aaron Jones hamstring injury... cannot afford to have him on sideline
- AJ Dillon... too slow 1.5 yards per carry
- Too may personal foul penalties
- Ford at safety... miss tackles, slow in coverage, personal foul after he got run over

Ugly:
- Nothing

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers start with big win over rival.

Good:
- Packers controlled line of scrimmage on both sides of ball
- Defense 4 sacks and 7 tackles for loss... rookies getting in on sacks (Van Ness and Brooks)
- Love looked poised and no big mistakes for 2nd start... made some big throws on 3rd and 4th down
- Aaron Jones running and catching the ball
- Packers defense getting some turnovers and scoring TD.. quite the run by Walker
- Packers special teams with some big returns
- Doubs couple of TDs... 2nd was big time play

Bad:
- Packers offense without Jones was not as productive
- Aaron Jones hamstring injury... cannot afford to have him on sideline
- AJ Dillon... too slow 1.5 yards per carry
- Too may personal foul penalties
- Ford at safety... miss tackles, slow in coverage, personal foul after he got run over

Ugly:
- Nothing
Hard to argue. The main thing we learned from this game is the Bears still suck. See what happens next Sunday.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to argue. The main thing we learned from this game is the Bears still suck. See what happens next Sunday.
I didn't get bear hype. I have them last in division but admitted Fields being wild card that could change. Their defense wasn't good last year and don't see how it's good this year and their o-line is garbage. Saw lot of fans declaring Fields King of North, he has one win vs nfcn.

I also think people were selling GB short, love looked good, but he faced no pressure and wide open Wrs everywhere. As fan of team that employed Ed Donatal last year I can tell you no pressure no coverage makes anyone look good, see Daniel Jones, I think he owes Ed a cut.

After week 1 looks like Det, GB, MN, Chi.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats guys. Looks like Love may be the real deal. Loved him coming out of college but you guys traded up for him so we missed out.

Probably be fighting us for division after how poor Vikes looked.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 game for Love... after the season is over can best evaluate if drafting Love was the right move. That said, I was pleasantly surprised... he played better than I had expected.

He was definitely helped by the OL... Packers have a good OL again and some depth as well. Helps to be able to stay in pocket with making all the reads down field.

Aaron Jones may be very key to his success as well... big drop off between him and AJ Dillon who is big disappointment for me presently. Without Jones more focus may be on Love from defense if no running game to worry about.
1st half:
- Jones 5 touches on 1st series - TD
- Rest of series in 1st half no touches - 1 FG
2nd half:
- Jones heavily involved 1st 2 series - 2 TDs
- Jones injured on 2nd TD and offense 1 TD remaining 5 series

I like Doubs at WR... even more than Watson. Doubs will make the tough catches and move the chains... Watson may have more upside.. but presently still is not consistent catching the ball (several easy drops) and also has a problem staying on field.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 1 game for Love... after the season is over can best evaluate if drafting Love was the right move. That said, I was pleasantly surprised... he played better than I had expected.

He was definitely helped by the OL... Packers have a good OL again and some depth as well. Helps to be able to stay in pocket with making all the reads down field.

Aaron Jones may be very key to his success as well... big drop off between him and AJ Dillon who is big disappointment for me presently. Without Jones more focus may be on Love from defense if no running game to worry about.
1st half:
- Jones 5 touches on 1st series - TD
- Rest of series in 1st half no touches - 1 FG
2nd half:
- Jones heavily involved 1st 2 series - 2 TDs
- Jones injured on 2nd TD and offense 1 TD remaining 5 series

I like Doubs at WR... even more than Watson. Doubs will make the tough catches and move the chains... Watson may have more upside.. but presently still is not consistent catching the ball (several easy drops) and also has a problem staying on field.

The problem for Watson, to me is availability. When he's on the field he's fine, but needs to be on the field.

I didn't see the first half of the game, but when Dillon was on the field, were they mostly running him and not making him a threat catching the ball? I'll watch Sunday to see if they're using him too one dimensionally or telegraphing the O with him on the field. Did you notice that at all?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem for Watson, to me is availability. When he's on the field he's fine, but needs to be on the field.

I didn't see the first half of the game, but when Dillon was on the field, were they mostly running him and not making him a threat catching the ball? I'll watch Sunday to see if they're using him too one dimensionally or telegraphing the O with him on the field. Did you notice that at all?

Packers were not 1 dimensionaly with Dillon IMO... they still tried passing the ball.... Dillon had 3 targets and 2 receptions in game... should have been 3 receptions as he had a drop for 3rd target.

Dillon did not hit the holes like Jones... 13 carries for 19 yards. Jones was seeing the holes better.. but did have 2 negative yards carries.. but still 9 for 41 yards overall.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers were not 1 dimensionaly with Dillon IMO... they still tried passing the ball.... Dillon had 3 targets and 2 receptions in game... should have been 3 receptions as he had a drop for 3rd target.

Dillon did not hit the holes like Jones... 13 carries for 19 yards. Jones was seeing the holes better.. but did have 2 negative yards carries.. but still 9 for 41 yards overall.

Ok, thanks for info.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand why Packers D ends and edge guys constantly jump inside on runs to the outside. Is contain no longer a thing or as pros are they just that dumb?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 2 minutes left in the game, and there is no doubt the packers are going to lose this game. It's the same shit in the 4th quarter, they have the lead and promptly go 3 and out on both of their possessions. That kind of shit has to stop, put your foot on the gas and win the game without putting the D in a shit spot where they spend 10 minutes of the 4th quarter on the field. Same shit, and it really pisses me off

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 2 minutes left in the game, and there is no doubt the packers are going to lose this game. It's the same shit in the 4th quarter, they have the lead and promptly go 3 and out on both of their possessions. That kind of shit has to stop, put your foot on the gas and win the game without putting the D in a shit spot where they spend 10 minutes of the 4th quarter on the field. Same shit, and it really pisses me off
2 things. 1. Offense has to execute. 2. Defense has to make a stop.

To be honest, I thought the Falcons would win easily today but GB put up a fight. On to next week!!

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be honest, I thought the Falcons would win easily today but GB put up a fight. On to next week!!

Right, but the way they hang out the D has to stop. They get paid too, but you have the lead and you need to keep the ball and work the clock. They haven't done that just about the entire tenure of Lafluer...and it's getting really F'ing old to me

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4 shitty passes at the end of the game is why I said in the beginning of the season they will lose a lot of games due to inexperience at the QB position.

I am impressed that they could have won this game but they will never amount to anything with the subpar play of the defense at the end. This has been GB’s problem for years. The defenses can never play 4 quarters.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but the way they hang out the D has to stop. They get paid too, but you have the lead and you need to keep the ball and work the clock. They haven't done that just about the entire tenure of Lafluer...and it's getting really F'ing old to me
I don’t disagree but just like the falcons defense making stops so does GB’s defense. I will always maintain the belief that defenses win championships. This loss was on the offense, defense and coaching. They all sucked when it counted.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree but just like the falcons defense making stops so does GB’s defense. I will always maintain the belief that defenses win championships. This loss was on the offense, defense and coaching. They all sucked when it counted.

All 3 need to perform. However, the rules in today's game favor the offense, therefore holding the ball for 2 minutes and 18 seconds of the 4th quarter is not good enough. That's hanging your defense out to dry. Add to that the stupidity of the Packer's DC and you have losses, many of them because you can't put together any kind of clock killing drives.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2 in the books

Good:
  • Packers through first 3 quarters of the game
  • Reed and Wicks each with their first NFL touchdowns - Reed is looking good already
  • OL despite not having Bakh and then Jenkins injury I thought played very good again... especially pass protection
  • Love still plays with poise... missed a couple of throws, issue with cadence on attempted sneak... but still playing better than I thought he would
  • Kicking and punting no issues for the rookies... was 1 punt would have liked pinned inside 5
Bad:
  • Walker and Alexander both dropping easy picks... Alexander a potential pick-6.
  • Dillon running the ball (again)... so slow to the hole... 15 carries 55 yards.
    • Twice I can recall on short 3rd and 1 did not pick up 1st down... picked it up on 4th and 1 after slipped and call on field overturned.
    • Panthers last week ran for over 150 yards on Falcons and averaged 4.7 yards per carry.
    • Wilson and Taylor did not appear to be much of an answer... only 4 attempts in the game
    • Packers averaged 4.0 yards for game thanks to Love´s big scramble
    • Without Jones GB running game really goes downhill
  • Nixon bringing ball out of end zone 8-9 yards deep... did it at least twice in game and Packers started near 20 yard line
  • Jenkins injury... starting to have problems being able to stay on field
Ugly:
  • 4th quarter - Packers 11 yards and Falcons 166 yards... up 24-12 and lose
  • Rush defense - Packers gave up 211 yards rushing... 4.7 yards per attempt... very deja vu like
  • Love QB sneak attempt... wrong cadence on the call so OL never moved
Packers very young team... so not suprised they lose close games like this and do not close them out. Hopefully they learn from this lose going forward.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 2 in the books

Good:
  • Packers through first 3 quarters of the game
  • Reed and Wicks each with their first NFL touchdowns - Reed is looking good already
  • OL despite not having Bakh and then Jenkins injury I thought played very good again... especially pass protection
  • Love still plays with poise... missed a couple of throws, issue with cadence on attempted sneak... but still playing better than I thought he would
  • Kicking and punting no issues for the rookies... was 1 punt would have liked pinned inside 5
Bad:
  • Walker and Alexander both dropping easy picks... Alexander a potential pick-6.
  • Dillon running the ball (again)... so slow to the hole... 15 carries 55 yards.
    • Twice I can recall on short 3rd and 1 did not pick up 1st down... picked it up on 4th and 1 after slipped and call on field overturned.
    • Panthers last week ran for over 150 yards on Falcons and averaged 4.7 yards per carry.
    • Wilson and Taylor did not appear to be much of an answer... only 4 attempts in the game
    • Packers averaged 4.0 yards for game thanks to Love´s big scramble
    • Without Jones GB running game really goes downhill
  • Nixon bringing ball out of end zone 8-9 yards deep... did it at least twice in game and Packers started near 20 yard line
  • Jenkins injury... starting to have problems being able to stay on field
Ugly:
  • 4th quarter - Packers 11 yards and Falcons 166 yards... up 24-12 and lose
  • Rush defense - Packers gave up 211 yards rushing... 4.7 yards per attempt... very deja vu like
  • Love QB sneak attempt... wrong cadence on the call so OL never moved
Packers very young team... so not suprised they lose close games like this and do not close them out. Hopefully they learn from this lose going forward.

Atlanta has one of (if not THE) best rushing tandems in the NFL. I have a hard time blaming the D too hard for being unable to stop the Falcons when they were on the field almost the entire second half. Even the Packers' two 3rd quarter touchdowns were pretty quick. The offense hung the defense out to dry with quick 3 & outs every possession of the 4th quarter when they were already tired.

The Packers not having Aaron Jones available showed itself the strongest in the 4th quarter. If he's getting touches at crunch time, I think the Packers win the game.

Last edited: