• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Packers regular season thread

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well enough to stay competitive during the season but not in the playoffs. For having a future hall of fame QB and not getting back to the SB in the last decade is a travesty. I think mgt decisions played a big role in that.

You would think, by drafting defense heavy in that time period we would see a better product on the field but IMO, nothing really has changed. I dont believe GB has enough quality players to compete against the better teams in this league.

The jury is still out on LaFleur for me. From your assessment, he didnt adjust to what the team needed for the detroit game. Not the sign of a good coach.
Everyone in the organization has played a role in getting to the playoffs regularly but failing to win a Super Bowl - from the athletic trainers to the third string tight end who blows onside kick coverage to the starting QB to the organization's president. Getting to the playoffs regularly is a sign that management is making some good decisions along the way. Winning a Super Bowl takes a healthy dose of talent and luck all coming together at the same time.

I'm the type of person who would rather have 8 playoff appearances in 10 years and no SBs than have 2 playoff appearances in 10 years and actually get lucky enough to win a SB once but also have 8 years of utter futility (like the Bucs and Rams). The Packers have remained reasonably competitive and we as Packers fans should be thankful for that rather than be salty because the stars didn't align for us one of those years.

LaFleur is capable of making adjustments. And as the game went on last week, he did make some. So did Love. I thought his offensive game plan going into the Lions game was very faulty and he certainly deserves a healthy chunk of the blame for that; but I'm not ready to terminally condemn him for it. We've seen him and his teams bounce back from bad performances week to week and even inside single games (as happened a couple weeks ago against the Saints). The Lions game was a lot of bad things all coming together at the same time to create an abysmal stinkfest. It happens to the best. This team certainly isn't the best, but I think they're still capable of competing for a wildcard spot - which if they do would be better than Aaron Rodgers' first year as a starter.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone in the organization has played a role in getting to the playoffs regularly but failing to win a Super Bowl - from the athletic trainers to the third string tight end who blows onside kick coverage to the starting QB to the organization's president. Getting to the playoffs regularly is a sign that management is making some good decisions along the way. Winning a Super Bowl takes a healthy dose of talent and luck all coming together at the same time.

I'm the type of person who would rather have 8 playoff appearances in 10 years and no SBs than have 2 playoff appearances in 10 years and actually get lucky enough to win a SB once but also have 8 years of utter futility (like the Bucs and Rams). The Packers have remained reasonably competitive and we as Packers fans should be thankful for that rather than be salty because the stars didn't align for us one of those years.

LaFleur is capable of making adjustments. And as the game went on last week, he did make some. So did Love. I thought his offensive game plan going into the Lions game was very faulty and he certainly deserves a healthy chunk of the blame for that; but I'm not ready to terminally condemn him for it. We've seen him and his teams bounce back from bad performances week to week and even inside single games (as happened a couple weeks ago against the Saints). The Lions game was a lot of bad things all coming together at the same time to create an abysmal stinkfest. It happens to the best. This team certainly isn't the best, but I think they're still capable of competing for a wildcard spot - which if they do would be better than Aaron Rodgers' first year as a starter.
Here's where our philosophies differ. For me, im from the old school mentality. i think the goal every season is to win the Super bowl not to receive a participation medal.

That said, i know winning a SB every year is unrealistic considering how hard it is just to win a game in this league. I think the frustrating part has been seeing them do well in the season only to fall apart in the playoffs.

I really dont expect much from the Packers this season . I know there are fans like yourself who thinks they can make the playoffs but if i had to bet money, i dont think they win more than 5 games. In my mind, anything over that will be a bonus. I know, i know. You think im a pessimist. ill admit, i wear my heart on my sleeve but i also consider myself a realist. Rookie QB, fairly young team, inconsistent defense and a coach who doesnt have a veteran QB anymore is not a recipe for a successful season but ive been known to be wrong before. I say the odds are not stacked in their favor.

Raiders 31
Packers 17

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's where our philosophies differ. For me, im from the old school mentality. i think the goal every season is to win the Super bowl not to receive a participation medal.

Winning a Super Bowl is the goal of all 32 teams. Only one team gets to actually do it every year. It's not about being content being making the playoffs then folding when that mission is accomplished; it's about giving your team a realistic chance to be that one team every single year.

The Jets just pushed all their chips to the middle of the table this past offseason staring at pocket queens and they ended up getting wasted immediately on the flop. They've got no more chips left to play. They're immediately out of the game. Done. I like the way the Packers play their hands - try to stay in the game as long as possible with the hope that one of these hands you'll get the right cards to win the game.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders 31
Packers 17

I think the Packers bounce back and have a pretty good game Monday. Not guaranteeing a win, but I think the Raiders score less than 31 and the Packers more than 17.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty sure Packers have not been playing for participation trophies.

I think Gutey set the Packers up with a window to get to the Super Bowl when he signed Z. Smith, P. Smith, Amos and Turner in off season of 2018... he hit on all 4 free agents. The 2019 draft was also very good IMO... can point to 2020 draft as a reason Packers may not have some hardware... Love/Dillon in first 2 rounds... Love will save the draft from a D/F grade if next franchise QB... Dillon already a bust for me, but neither much of a help for 2020/2021 to get Packers another piece.

Defense was good enough to get us to the Super Bowl... unfortunately for 2019 to 2021 our special teams were bottom 5 in the league... 2020/2021 bottom 2. This is one area hold MLF responsible... especially with replacing fired special teams coordinator with his assistant for 2021... that made no sense IMO.

Also helps to have some luck and stay healthy in getting to Super Bowl.... 2014 had Bostick trying to field an on-side kick when he had received instructions just prior to only block... 2020 and 2021 had injury issues with Bakhtiari both years not playing in playoffs and Jenkins not playing 1 year.... Z. Smith was his first game back in 2021 after injury and limited.

Packers window closed... this is a rebuild year. For now only thing I am frustrated with this year (other than Bakh injury) is run defense... I thought DL and run defense would be much better this year... does not improve I do believe Joe Barry is gone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Packers bounce back and have a pretty good game Monday. Not guaranteeing a win, but I think the Raiders score less than 31 and the Packers more than 17.

Alexander still LP... would really help to have him back, ditto Jenkins. Not good seeing Runyan on the injury report... I really think Newman is drop off if he has to play again.

Appears another week without Campbell.

1696602834991.png

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander still LP... would really help to have him back, ditto Jenkins. Not good seeing Runyan on the injury report... I really think Newman is drop off if he has to play again.

Appears another week without Campbell.

View attachment 342418
Yeah, that's still a LOT of first stringers too banged up to practice. Certainly not helping things.

Pretty sure Packers have not been playing for participation trophies.

I think Gutey set the Packers up with a window to get to the Super Bowl when he signed Z. Smith, P. Smith, Amos and Turner in off season of 2018... he hit on all 4 free agents. The 2019 draft was also very good IMO... can point to 2020 draft as a reason Packers may not have some hardware... Love/Dillon in first 2 rounds... Love will save the draft from a D/F grade if next franchise QB... Dillon already a bust for me, but neither much of a help for 2020/2021 to get Packers another piece.

Defense was good enough to get us to the Super Bowl... unfortunately for 2019 to 2021 our special teams were bottom 5 in the league... 2020/2021 bottom 2. This is one area hold MLF responsible... especially with replacing fired special teams coordinator with his assistant for 2021... that made no sense IMO.

Also helps to have some luck and stay healthy in getting to Super Bowl.... 2014 had Bostick trying to field an on-side kick when he had received instructions just prior to only block... 2020 and 2021 had injury issues with Bakhtiari both years not playing in playoffs and Jenkins not playing 1 year.... Z. Smith was his first game back in 2021 after injury and limited.

Packers window closed... this is a rebuild year. For now only thing I am frustrated with this year (other than Bakh injury) is run defense... I thought DL and run defense would be much better this year... does not improve I do believe Joe Barry is gone.

I agree with pretty much everything but this. I don't quite see it as a "rebuild" year, I see it as a "build experience" year. "Rebuild" suggests we need to sell off some pieces to build a better future. The only thing I'm interested in selling off today is trading AJ Dillon for Jonathan Taylor. The on-field leader changed. The new leader needs to establish some experience as do the young playmakers around him. This is a young team, but has some talent. If anything needs to be "rebuilt", it's the sideline leadership on the defensive side of the ball and the athletic training staff. This team has some of the best defensive talent in the league, but they are not cohesive and the whole team can't stay healthy.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind getting beat, I do mind weak effort...and Watson has 3 really shit effort plays in this game that really make a difference...that and I really have no clue what the hell the offensive game plan in the 1st half was...I really don't even know where to start with that nonsense

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I believe the Packers have drafted pretty well over the past decade.

Pertaining to the DET loss... As I was sitting in the stands for that game, I was mostly frustrated with the play-calling. We knew we were down two starting OL and one playing hurt. We also knew DET's DL was gonna be amped.

Key ways to neutralize an energized DL when your OL is banged up includes...
- quick hitting passing plays such as screens and slants
- spreading the field in 3 & 4 wideout sets and running halfback draws

What LaFleur did was try to run a bunch of deep route combinations on all passing plays in the first several series - despite having Aaron Jones available. Jones should've gotten touches on every other play in that first quarter and all he was was a failed decoy. Love lost confidence when GB's OL couldn't hold up and he ended up making bad decisions - which is something every QB endures.

I don't think this was a terminal problem with LaFleur or Love or the OL or the defense, but it was certainly a bad game by all of them all at the same time. No one expected the Packers to win all 17 games this season and I expect they'll bounce back adequately against the Raiders.
I guess bouncing back adequately against the raiders didn’t catch on, lol. Maybe next game? I saw the last 1:30 of this game and 2 drops and a pick to end the game was zero surprise to me. I know you all don’t like to see them play to lose but I think the best thing they can do is get better picks in the draft and hope for some quality football players. I think the jury is still out on Love but I’m leaning more towards replacing him than keeping him and last but not least have them admit their mistake with hiring Barry and find someone who is not part of the usual rehire pool of failed defensive coaches.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say again?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say again?
Raiders did score significantly less than 31. The Packers came one foot from scoring more than 13 (if Love's last pass was a foot higher that was a game-winning touchdown). The 'pretty good game' part fell definitively and disappointingly short.

• The first half offensive play-calling was trash again. What the hell is LaFleur doing when he prepares the offensive gameplan? He had 11 days to get ready for this game and the defense was on the field almost the entire first half again.
  • Preston Smith should never be assigned coverage on Davante Adams, but it happened. That's an embarrassing failure at the DC level.
  • It's clear to me that this team's offense was built around Aaron Jones. Without him on the field the offense is a mess.
  • Walker and Savage both didn't finish the game with injuries. It's tough to win games when half your starters are hurt.

This was a game the Packers needed to win to make the playoffs. With the loss, the best they can hope for is finishing 8th in the NFC or two of the other wildcard contenders to ultimately shit the bed worse than them (DAL/SEA/ATL/NO/TB).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another poor start by the offense and another loss. Appears MLF's theme for the year is "there is no quit in this team".

Good:
- Defense only gave up 17 pts... including big stand to hold Raiders to FG after 1st interception
- Ford with 2nd interception in 2 weeks
- Packers rush defense did much better... but Raiders have not run ball well this year, gave up 96 yards and 3.3 avg
- 4 sacks by defense, a few on 3rd and 5-6 yards near mid field forcing Raiders punt
- Held D. Adams to quiet night

Bad:
- Reed, Doubs combined 2 receptions
- All RBs combined 2 receptions (Taylor both of them)
- MLF taking timeout end of 1st half with 45 seconds after 1st down... I figured it would come back to bite them... luckily Raiders missed 52 yard field goal.
- Q. Walker and Savage injuries... do not need more injuries... although thought McDuffie and very surprisingly Wilson played OK. Probably against better team much more of an issue.

Ugly:
- Packers offense in 1st half again... last 3 games total of 6 pts
- Watson effort down field to fight for balls... MLF was asked about it at press conference regarding 2 throws specifically, MLF said he would have to look at it again... but also said there is more opportunity there... but then said Watson gives you all he has and later said there is no lack of fight... so took both side with his response
- Love 3 interceptions... 1st one no idea what he saw there, 2nd defender maybe could have intercepted as well... long ball to Reed in 1st half, wondered where he was throwing that... much closer to defenders
- OL trying to stop Crosby

Packers need bye week

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • The first half offensive play-calling was trash again. What the hell is LaFleur doing when he prepares the offensive gameplan? He had 11 days to get ready for this game and the defense was on the field almost the entire first half again.
  • Preston Smith should never be assigned coverage on Davante Adams, but it happened. That's an embarrassing failure at the DC level.
  • It's clear to me that this team's offense was built around Aaron Jones. Without him on the field the offense is a mess.
  • Walker and Savage both didn't finish the game with injuries. It's tough to win games when half your starters are hurt.

MLF discussed the P. Smith after game... noted Raiders must have saw Packers alignment and changed the call to line up Adams vs him... noted Packers had same play when Adams with Packers. Could see P. Smith yelling at sideline after the play... obviously a poor defensive call.

Agree Aaron Jones is huge loss when he is out... huge drop off running and catching ball out of backfield without him.

Q. Walker injury hurts... despite 1 boneheaded play on FG vs Detroit, think he is playing very fast this year as on TFL vs Jacobs.

Do not know what to make of first half offense right now... something is not right.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLF discussed the P. Smith after game... noted Raiders must have saw Packers alignment and changed the call to line up Adams vs him... noted Packers had same play when Adams with Packers. Could see P. Smith yelling at sideline after the play... obviously a poor defensive call.

Agree Aaron Jones is huge loss when he is out... huge drop off running and catching ball out of backfield without him.

Q. Walker injury hurts... despite 1 boneheaded play on FG vs Detroit, think he is playing very fast this year as on TFL vs Jacobs.

Do not know what to make of first half offense right now... something is not right.
Unfortunately this has been GB's philosophy for years now. They rely on one player to carry the team for some reason. When that player is out or not playing at a high level they tend to fall apart. Regardless of Jones being out last night losing to a bad Raider team just shows how bad GB is. Again, no surprise in my eyes. They continue to prove my point that horrible decisions at the top is showing on the field. Shit rolls down hill.

Raiders did score significantly less than 31. The Packers came one foot from scoring more than 13 (if Love's last pass was a foot higher that was a game-winning touchdown). The 'pretty good game' part fell definitively and disappointingly short.

This was a game the Packers needed to win to make the playoffs. With the loss, the best they can hope for is finishing 8th in the NFC or two of the other wildcard contenders to ultimately shit the bed worse than them (DAL/SEA/ATL/NO/TB).
Yes, you are correct about the score but im not surprised GB lost. I will say you have several of woulda, shoulda and couldas in your statement about the score though.

So, do you think ML's success had more to do with Rodgers and less to do with his ability as a coach?

Im still scratching my head over the Barry hire.

Im sticking to my guns with my prediction that GB wont win more than 5 games and i think that might be to many.

Another poor start by the offense and another loss. Appears MLF's theme for the year is "there is no quit in this team".

Good:
- Defense only gave up 17 pts... including big stand to hold Raiders to FG after 1st interception
- Ford with 2nd interception in 2 weeks
- Packers rush defense did much better... but Raiders have not run ball well this year, gave up 96 yards and 3.3 avg
- 4 sacks by defense, a few on 3rd and 5-6 yards near mid field forcing Raiders punt
- Held D. Adams to quiet night

Bad:
- Reed, Doubs combined 2 receptions
- All RBs combined 2 receptions (Taylor both of them)
- MLF taking timeout end of 1st half with 45 seconds after 1st down... I figured it would come back to bite them... luckily Raiders missed 52 yard field goal.
- Q. Walker and Savage injuries... do not need more injuries... although thought McDuffie and very surprisingly Wilson played OK. Probably against better team much more of an issue.

Ugly:
- Packers offense in 1st half again... last 3 games total of 6 pts
- Watson effort down field to fight for balls... MLF was asked about it at press conference regarding 2 throws specifically, MLF said he would have to look at it again... but also said there is more opportunity there... but then said Watson gives you all he has and later said there is no lack of fight... so took both side with his response
- Love 3 interceptions... 1st one no idea what he saw there, 2nd defender maybe could have intercepted as well... long ball to Reed in 1st half, wondered where he was throwing that... much closer to defenders
- OL trying to stop Crosby

Packers need bye week
This should only be in the Good category if the offense scored more points. I get it, you're trying to see the positives.

Run defense was better but was it better because they improved or because because (you said it) Raiders have not run the ball well this year?
i guess we will find out when they play a team with a good run game.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should only be in the Good category if the offense scored more points. I get it, you're trying to see the positives.

Run defense was better but was it better because they improved or because because (you said it) Raiders have not run the ball well this year?
i guess we will find out when they play a team with a good run game.

You have to play who is on your schedule... if Raiders would have run all over Packers then it when have been under Bad or Ugly. Packers run defense did look better than Falcons/Lions games. They should have more difficult tests going forward... will have to see how respond.

Defense gave up 2 long drives for points that both resulted in TDs. One interception gifted a FG and the other at midfield Packers forced 3 and out. If the defense gives up 17 points in the NFL, they should expect a win... but GB´s offense so poor right now, appears that is still too much.

You only watched last 1:30 of the game, so unsure you are qualified much to discuss the game.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Competitive game, guys...I thought we were gonna lose.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, do you think ML's success had more to do with Rodgers and less to do with his ability as a coach?

Rodgers + Adams definitely had a lot to do with the Packers success in ML's first years. They were a finely-tuned machine. It was wise of him to not try to change too much with that dynamic when he got here and simply let them go out there and do what they do.

I'm not naive to what you're truly fishing for with that question, though. You think LaFleur should be replaced and want me to agree with you. At this point, I'm disappointed with how these last few weeks have gone, but still think it's too soon to start thinking about other options. Like I said previously, this team is young and this is a "get experience" season. If we are flipping our coaching staff every time this team faces adversity, things will get a lot worse, not a lot better. We need to give these guys some time to grow together.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to sit Aaron Jones since he on my FF team.