• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2015 49ers

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hoping Bowman will be ready. WR concerns me at the moment as well as CB. No love for Andy as the P. Crimson? I was hoping for a long term K, but never had in mind a replacement Punter. The TE issue will play out soon enough I think with VD on the downside.

I can't see us cutting the punter we drafted in the 5th, and there's no way we can keep both Pinion and Lee. I agree that I would have looked at a K before a P, but that's not what we did.

I think Davis bounces back a bit at TE. I don't expect him to post 13 TDs again, but I would expect him to have something in the vicinity of 600 yards and 5 TDs. He's playing for one last lucrative contract this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season can go any direction. It can be as bad as 4-12 or as good as 11-5. It all depends on coaching and health. Lets hope its 11-5. Team has a lot of talent.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured I'd take a shot:

QB (2)
Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert

Let's hope we don't have to see how Gabbert is progressing. I actually kind of like Gabbert as a backup; I think he's got Alex Smith potential if he can get his head in it. That would be an ideal situation for a guy on the bench. All the same, I'd just as soon not find out.

RB (5)
Carlos Hyde, Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Mike Davis, Bruce Miller (FB)

No real mystery here. I'd like to see Hunter finally get back to it. I've always like him. Miller's legal difficulties seems to be blowing over. I would like to keep Millard on the roster, but we're too hard up for spots right now, and have a ton of TEs now.

WR (5)
Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Bruce Ellington, Quinton Patton, DeAndre Smelter

Smelter might start our on the PUP. Not sure who would take his spot. We go light here as we don't really have much talent at the spot. We make up for that with depth at...

TE (4)
Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Derek Carrier, Blake Bell

No real surprises here, other than the numbers. I don't expect Davis back after 2015 unless he really rebounds. Not ready to give up on Vance at this time, particularly as he's been effective as a blocker. Bell is raw, but he's got big potential. And you don't put fourth rounders on the PS and expect to keep them.

OL (8)
Joe Staley, Brandon Thomas, Marcus Martin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Erik Pears, Ian Silberman

A little light at this spot, but eight is about right. Looney walks this year. I keep Silberman because they picked him higher and because I think he's very slightly better-suited for OT if push came to shove. Brown goes to the PS.

DL (7)
Darnell Dockett, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Arik Armstead

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume Justin Smith is done. This group is pretty straightforward. MAYBE we keep eight here, but since we play a lot of fronts with just two of these guys on the field, that would be heavy unless Smith returns.

LB (9)
Navorro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Michael Wilhoite, Aaron Lynch, Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Philip Wheeler, Nick Bellore, Nick Moody

I go heavy, but these guys are our core STs players. Harold bumps Lemonier (though I'd love to see Lemonier and Harold claim a spot and bump Brooks). Wheeler and Bishop are a toss-up. I think we keep one. Bellore nabs a spot as a STs ace, as does Moody, who has more potential in coverage than others even though he was iffy in terms of assignments and tackling last year. Skov could take Moody's place if he can play a bit faster.

CB (6)
Tramaine Brock, Shareece Wright, Dontae Johnson, Jimmie Ward, Chris Cook, Kenneth Acker

Some touch calls here. They gave Cook enough money that I think he makes it. I went with Acker over Reaser based on his preseason play last year, but Reaser might have the better physical tools. Back end of this competition is muddled.

S (4)
Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, Jaquiski Tartt, LJ McCray

McCray and Tartt are a bit similar, but Dahl just isn't that good. I think the younger player beats him out.

STs (3)

K - Phil Dawson
P - Brad Pinion
LS - Kyle Nelson

PS

RB Jarryd Hayne – why not give him a shot to see if he can develop into something?
FB Trey Millard – I like him as a move FB/TE, but no room for him right now
WR Dres Anderson – one of the more highly regarded UDFA, and at a position of need
TE Busta Anderson – has the athleticism to help replace Davis next in 2016
OL Trenton Brown – project with some upside
DL Lawrence Okoye – give the Great Brit one more year to show something
NT Michael Purcell – looked anywhere from okay to terrible last year; we need depth for next year
CB Keith Reaser – if he doesn’t make the 53, he can come back from injury on the PS
LB Shayne Skov – if he doesn’t make the 53, he can wait for a shot on the PS
Other WR, TBD

This looks like a good roster to me. You have a group of about 10 guys who are bubble players and you don't know if they will make the team or not. Pinion might make the team but the reason I didn't have him make our team cuz if we cut Lee we only save 1 million. Then when you add in Pinion at 435,000 you are really only saving a little under 600,000. I'm not sure it's worth it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks like a good roster to me. You have a group of about 10 guys who are bubble players and you don't know if they will make the team or not. Pinion might make the team but the reason I didn't have him make our team cuz if we cut Lee we only save 1 million. Then when you add in Pinion at 435,000 you are really only saving a little under 600,000. I'm not sure it's worth it.

If Pinion can punt as well as Lee it will probably be worth it to the team. Younger and cheaper.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Pinion will have to at least come close to Lee in terms of competition. But if we cut a 5th-round punter, I'd be livid with Baalke.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance they keep him for kickoff duties only. I know that means we lose a spot some where else but maybe this is their thinking. Dawson is getting old.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Any chance they keep him for kickoff duties only. I know that means we lose a spot some where else but maybe this is their thinking. Dawson is getting old.

I just don't see how you justify carrying four STs players. I've certainly heard of punters who also do kickoffs. But I've never heard of a punter, a FG kicker, and a KO kicker all on the same team with a dedicated long-snapper. Those spots at the tail end of the roster are just too valuable. I'm not willing to let a Reaser, Acker, Millard, or a draft pick walk just to get a few more touchbacks. Not to mention that you start to compromise the coverage units with moves like that.