• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NFL Hall of Fame ....... Who Gets In??

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just being sarcastic. Big Mek should be in.

He is hurt by the fact that he switched positions a few times in his career. He was the ultimate swiss army knife for the Broncos. Wherever they were weak he just filled in. To me that should be a huge advantage that he could play so many positions and dominate at all of them but the voters don't seem to see it that way.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I honestly can't see any reason for LT being inducted. He was a decent RB, but he wasn't anywhere near as great as he's made out to be. He happened to play in a "weak" division (Broncos excepted) and really never propelled his team into the playoffs. More to the point, he couldn't 'grind' out yardage. He was fast to the outside and made a living on sweeps. He certainly is not a Jimmy Brown, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders and I just don't think he belongs in the Hall with them.

So as a Patriots fan, knowing that Nick Buoniconti was certainly no Butkus, Singletary or Ray Lewis, is him being a HOF'er a sham? Knowing that Mike Haynes is no Deion, Nightrain, blount or Rod Woodson, is his HOF induction a joke?

I agree 100%, he's not a JB, Emmitt or Barry. But that's the very top of the HOF at the position. There are others in there. Is he a Trippi? A Dudley? A Lenny Moore? A Bettis or Riggins?

The weak division I don't give much of a care about. Not really a factor to me but lets see if it was... Colts had a worse division in that time, So did Green Bay, and Seattle (other 3 teams won fewer games than the other 3 AFC west Teams). Pats and Pittsburgh had the same strength around them (2 and 3 wins more over 9 years by those 3 teams). AFC West while LT was in SD was the ONLY division with two of the top 7 teams in terms of record in one division. Looks about as dead in the middle as you can be when it comes to division strength. And of course if you want to argue weaker division, if you play in that weak division what's your prize? Oh yeah, playing all your conference's division winners the next year.

LT was an equal opportunity back He'd run for 220 and 2 TD's against the Raiders, Bronco's and Patriots.

Not sure that Barry "propelled his team to the playoffs" either or ground out yards inside. How did OJ Simpson, or Adrian Peterson or Gale Sayers propel their teams to the playoffs? Again, not something that takes away an all-time career from HOF consideration. Tony Gonzalez won 1 playoff game in 16 years. He's a HOFer.

San Diego's made the playoffs 9 times since 1983. 5 of those times were in LT's 9 years there. 4 times in the other 25 years. So just based on when he played vs. when he wasn't in the last 34 years, the Chargers were 300% more likely to make the playoffs. He's been on the deepest that team has gone in the post-season in the past 20 years (and 3/4 of their playoff wins in the past 20 years).

Over his time in SD only 5 other NFL teams had better records, and only 2 scored more on offense. (NE and Indy who had by far the best QB's of the generation). No team ran for more yards or TD's.

I think he's a HOFer, an easy HOFer and no prob if he goes first ballot, though that is debatable (if Curtis Martin is a 2nd ballot, is LT a first? ).

2nd all time in rushing TD's behind only Emmitt, 3rd in total TD's behind Emmitt and Rice. 5th all time in rushing yards and yards from scrimmage. Currently the next closest active player to LT in TD's is 60 TD's behind. Like Frank Gore is halfway to his TD mark now (him and AD are the only two backs halfway)

He's an NFL MVP
he's got the rightful spot as the top back on the all-2000's team
still holds records for TD's in a season and consecutive games with TD's
broke Paul Hornung's most points in a month and a season records that were 50 years old
Broke Jim Browns most rushing TD's in a month record...
most games with 2 TD's rushing (and 3 and 4) in a season and consecutive games
most 200 yard games in a season
most consecutive multi-TD games
most consecutive 1200 yard rushing seasons
most consecutive 1500 total yard seasons
most seasons with 5,6,7,8,9...17 TD's
Fastest player to 9000, 12000, 15000 yards from scrimmage.

Last edited:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing that Mike Haynes is no Deion, Nightrain, blount or Rod Woodson, is his HOF induction a joke?

Mike Haynes is right there with those guys....he was probably the best corner in football for a few years.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly is not a Jimmy Brown, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders and I just don't think he belongs in the Hall with them.

As someone else has pointed out, the HOF section of running backs isn't simply this threesome. There are a lot of others in there, and Tomlinson was better than many that currently have gold jackets. He's most deserving of joining the class.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecklenburg was a beast. I watched him play and he was a wrecking ball on defense. Can't understand why he isn't in yet.

Mecklenburg was a good player, but he wasn't on the level of Randy Gradishar. If any Denver Bronco defender deserves a spot in the Hall, it's Gradishar.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Haynes is right there with those guys....he was probably the best corner in football for a few years.

I guess you could make that argument. I'd put him behind those 4, but no problem if someone disagreed.

But just making the point if we only allowed 3 QB's, 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 3 CB's etc into the HOF, we'd only be voting in 1 guy every few years.

You could say for LT's prime he was as good as anyone too. First 7 years LT AVERAGED 2000 total yards and 18 TD's a season.

In his first 7 years compared to the first 7 years of every single player in NFL history at the skill positions...

LT had more TD's than anyone to ever play pro football.
LT had more yards from scrimmage than anyone to ever play pro football.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now is LT a first ballot HOFer???

First ballot backs

Marcus Allen
Eric Dickerson
Earl Campbell
Tony Dorsett
Marshall Faulk
Franco Harris
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
O.J. Simpson
Emmitt Smith
Jim Brown
Ollie Matson
Hugh McElhenny
Gale Sayers

Man that's a tough group. I think he would be on the bottom of that group. And figure Jason Taylor might be the closest competition he has of the first ballot players.

But looking at the more modern guys

Faulk great play and SB
Allen great play and SB
Emmitt great play and SB
Payton great play and SB

Barry Sanders is the only non-SB winning back to be a first ballot HOFer somewhat recently. And well most regard him as debatable for the best ever at that position.

I guess I am ok either way, now or later..

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think T.O. was snubbed, and don't think he deserves to get in. Yes, he had ridiculous numbers, but it's not called the Hall of Great Numbers. The fact is despite his incredible talents, multiple teams couldn't wait to push him out the door.

Hall of Fame voters were right to tell Terrell Owens ‘no’
It's not called the Hall of Great Personalitit's either. In no fan of T.O. but talant wise he's amongst the best in NFL history, he's was snubbed, and deserves to be in.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess you could make that argument. I'd put him behind those 4, but no problem if someone disagreed.

But just making the point if we only allowed 3 QB's, 3 RB's, 3 WR's, 3 CB's etc into the HOF, we'd only be voting in 1 guy every few years.

You could say for LT's prime he was as good as anyone too. First 7 years LT AVERAGED 2000 total yards and 18 TD's a season.

In his first 7 years compared to the first 7 years of every single player in NFL history at the skill positions...

LT had more TD's than anyone to ever play pro football.
LT had more yards from scrimmage than anyone to ever play pro football.

I got your point, and agree with it in general. I simply pointed out what I feel was a bad example - Mike Haynes in his prime was the standard.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got your point, and agree with it in general. I simply pointed out what I feel was a bad example - Mike Haynes in his prime was the standard.

But wasn't LT in his prime the standard?

Maybe... off topic, but I think I'd put Haynes outside the top 3.

Night train really was the best CB of the first 50 years of the NFL easily if not ever.

The other 3 all won defensive MVP's (award not around when Lane played).
The other 4 all were 1st team all pro at least twice as often as Haynes.

I really don't think he'd end up top 3 in a vote for best CB, or on the tops of most lists. In fact the Sports news top 100 and NFL network top 100 both put him after those 4.

So it's debatable, not the best example for sure, just was looking for NE players.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course he was....he was the best RB in football for a few years, and most deserved of a Hall entrance.

Night train really was the best CB of the first 50 years of the NFL easily if not ever.

I really don't think he'd end up top 3 in a vote for best CB, or on the tops of most lists. In fact the Sports news top 100 and NFL network top 100 both put him after those 4.

So it's debatable, not the best example for sure, just was looking for NE players.

No offense....a lot of that is irrelevant to me. Ronnie Lott never won a defensive MVP either, but can anybody with a straight face say he isn't one of the premiere defensive players - not corners, or safeties or anything else...defensive players period - of all time? Haynes really only started getting nationwide attention when he became a Raider, yet was every bit as good as a Patriot. It just so happens that his only times where he was considered all pro was when he was a Raider.

He may not end up in some top 3 voting for best corner, but by no means would it be stupid if he did.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecklenburg was a good player, but he wasn't on the level of Randy Gradishar. If any Denver Bronco defender deserves a spot in the Hall, it's Gradishar.

Gradishar was before my time. Not that I'm not old enough to have seen him play but there just wasn't the coverage of the NFL that you started to see when Mecklenburg was playing. As far as Mecklenburg goes, he was a fucking load and one of the toughest players that I've ever seen. I don't think that what Gradishar did should take away from what Mecklenburg did. The reason that these HOF's are so stupid is because you're basically forced to do that.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gradishar was before my time. Not that I'm not old enough to have seen him play but there just wasn't the coverage of the NFL that you started to see when Mecklenburg was playing. As far as Mecklenburg goes, he was a fucking load and one of the toughest players that I've ever seen. I don't think that what Gradishar did should take away from what Mecklenburg did. The reason that these HOF's are so stupid is because you're basically forced to do that.

IMO, I thought Mecklenberg is being overrated here, but he still was a pretty good player. I think the Hall as it is now, is a complete joke - something like a 2-1 ratio of offensive to defensive players inducted. The snow goose should be there based on who is in already, but he wouldn't be there had I had a vote.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, I thought Mecklenberg is being overrated here, but he still was a pretty good player. I think the Hall as it is now, is a complete joke - something like a 2-1 ratio of offensive to defensive players inducted. The snow goose should be there based on who is in already, but he wouldn't be there had I had a vote.

I respect your opinion. I just see his play a little bit different than you do.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you saying there are too many Broncos in Hall?

Based on those 5 blow out SB losses there shouldn't be any bronco players n the HOF :dhd:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as a Patriots fan, knowing that Nick Buoniconti was certainly no Butkus, Singletary or Ray Lewis, is him being a HOF'er a sham? Knowing that Mike Haynes is no Deion, Nightrain, blount or Rod Woodson, is his HOF induction a joke?

Buoniconti didn't make the HOF based on anything he did in NE since he was a spare part here and if you don't think Mike Haynes is an HOFer you don't know shit about football.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be willing to bet that you never saw any of the players you're commenting on "PLAY" outside of highlight packages.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If T.O. gets snubbed again it will confirm the joke that the HOF is
The HOF already is a joke. Jerry Kramer has been retired from football for 46 years and is still not in.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LT was an equal opportunity back He'd run for 220 and 2 TD's against the Raiders, Bronco's and Patriots.

And quit in a playoff game.

"Quitters never win, Winners never quit"
I coached football for 44 years and repeated this to every team I ever coached.
My teams lost many games, but never quit in any of them.