• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NFL Hall of Fame ....... Who Gets In??

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be inducted in 2017, a finalist needs to receive at least 80 percent support from the 46-person selection committee, which will meet Feb. 4. The official Hall of Fame announcement will be made during a television special on Fox that will air the night before Super Bowl LI.

Under bylaws of the HOF, a minimum of four people have to be inducted each year, with a maximum of eight. Before you check out the list below, make sure to check out our prediction of who's going to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

Anyway, here are the nominees for 2017 (listed by position).

Players in bold were HOF finalists in 2016.

QUARTERBACKS
Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS
Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), LaDainian Tomlinson, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS (10)
Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

TIGHT END
Mark Bavaro

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Tony Boselli (T), Ray Donaldson (C), Alan Faneca (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Jason Taylor (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS

Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), John Lynch (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Bob Sanders (SS), Darren Sharper (FS), Dennis Smith (SS), Troy Vincent (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTER
Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

COACHES
Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to see guys who didn't get all of accolades and TDs every week. My picks:

Ty Law
Steve Atwater
John Lynch
Tedi Bruschi
Willie McGinest
Steve Tasker
Bill Cowher
Jimmy Johnson

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think Pat Bowlen has a good shot with Denver as well for that list.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to see guys who didn't get all of accolades and TDs every week. My picks:

Ty Law
Steve Atwater
John Lynch
Tedi Bruschi
Willie McGinest
Steve Tasker
Bill Cowher
Jimmy Johnson

So pretty much most of the guys on the list who played for the Patriots?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say this is probably one of the weaker HOF classes in a while. So some names that have been borderline will stand a chance.

John Lynch is one that comes to mind. Terrell Owens is another that probably should have been a 1st ballot HOF player.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He forgot Bledsoe and Flutie... maybe he did not want to be so obvious.

Well he did say players that didn't score or throw touchdowns so makes sense to leave those 2 out but then list all the defensive players that played for the Patriots for any significant time. Not saying those players are bad by any means as there is a reason they made the list but I see quite a few more names that are much more deserving at this point.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly:

Senior HOF (or what there calling it) Kenny Easily
Terrell Owens
Jimmy Johnson
Kurt Warner
Ty Law
John Lynch
Joe Jacoby
Paul T, for Builder category

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if Lynch is a HoFer, but if he DOES get in, Atwater better get in first.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if Lynch is a HoFer, but if he DOES get in, Atwater better get in first.
The Hall of Fame has a major bias against safeties. There are only 6 pure safeties in the HoF (by pure safety, I mean safeties that didn't play another position, such as corner). I think Lynch will eventually get in because he was such a huge name on those great Tampa defenses.

Atwater I fear will never make it in. Even though I think he deserves it, nothing in his numbers make him stand out. Only by watching him play could you see what a difference he actually made on defense. That's tougher for voters to quantify, and I think it will keep him out.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO was NOT snubbed. There was a great article on why he did not get in. I wish I had a ink to it.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hall of Fame has a major bias against safeties. There are only 6 pure safeties in the HoF (by pure safety, I mean safeties that didn't play another position, such as corner). I think Lynch will eventually get in because he was such a huge name on those great Tampa defenses.

Atwater I fear will never make it in. Even though I think he deserves it, nothing in his numbers make him stand out. Only by watching him play could you see what a difference he actually made on defense. That's tougher for voters to quantify, and I think it will keep him out.

To be fair Safeties were not very important prior to the 80s. Mostly because those who did play safety could not play corner. Its why you saw a lot of college safeties move to Corner (Lott was a perfect example) but then move back to safety as the 80s wore on.

Like you said anyone who watch Atwater knows he should be in. Him and Smith were the First best Safety Duo.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ty Law
Steve Atwater
John Lynch
Tedi Bruschi
Willie McGinest
Steve Tasker
Bill Cowher
Jimmy Johnson
There's no chance Bruschi is a Hall of Fame player. Only 1 pro bowl and 2 second team all pro's to his name. No numbers that pop. He was a Hall of Very Good type of player, and certainly a franchise Hall of Famer, but not NFL Hall of Fame. He was never that good.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO was NOT snubbed. There was a great article on why he did not get in. I wish I had a ink to it.
Clark Judge wrote a great article on it for CBS back in the day, but they've since scrubbed it from their website. The article I linked has quotes from Judge (who is a voter).

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be inducted in 2017, a finalist needs to receive at least 80 percent support from the 46-person selection committee, which will meet Feb. 4. The official Hall of Fame announcement will be made during a television special on Fox that will air the night before Super Bowl LI.

Under bylaws of the HOF, a minimum of four people have to be inducted each year, with a maximum of eight. Before you check out the list below, make sure to check out our prediction of who's going to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2017.

Anyway, here are the nominees for 2017 (listed by position).

Players in bold were HOF finalists in 2016.

QUARTERBACKS
Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS
Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), LaDainian Tomlinson, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS (10)
Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

TIGHT END
Mark Bavaro

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Tony Boselli (T), Ray Donaldson (C), Alan Faneca (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Jason Taylor (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS

Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), John Lynch (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Bob Sanders (SS), Darren Sharper (FS), Dennis Smith (SS), Troy Vincent (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTER
Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

COACHES
Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

LT
Warner
Bruce
Zach Thomas
Darren Woodson
Iron Mike
Morten Anderson

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think T.O. was snubbed, and don't think he deserves to get in. Yes, he had ridiculous numbers, but it's not called the Hall of Great Numbers. The fact is despite his incredible talents, multiple teams couldn't wait to push him out the door.

Hall of Fame voters were right to tell Terrell Owens ‘no’

But see that is the problem with the HOF. Sometimes it seems like numbers are the main thing they look at and then other times they look beyond the numbers. There really is no consistency into what they are looking for when it comes to HOF voting. Heck I would even add that what team you played for plays into a player making the HOF as they seem to be more relaxed towards certain organizations more than others. Honestly I have stopped trusting the HOF voters to actually pick the best of the best each year.