• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NFL Hall of Fame ....... Who Gets In??

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact of the day...

The Canton Bulldogs were an NFL team for 6 years in the 1920's. They have 2 more players in the HOF than the Broncos do right now who have been a part of 8 of the 50 Super Bowls played so far in the NFL.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But see that is the problem with the HOF. Sometimes it seems like numbers are the main thing they look at and then other times they look beyond the numbers. There really is no consistency into what they are looking for when it comes to HOF voting. Heck I would even add that what team you played for plays into a player making the HOF as they seem to be more relaxed towards certain organizations more than others. Honestly I have stopped trusting the HOF voters to actually pick the best of the best each year.
I don't disagree with you that the HoF voting process is seriously flawed. In fact, I doubt you'd find a single Broncos fan to disagree, considering how the Broncos are criminally underrepresented.

That said, I agree with Judge's take. It should be about more than just numbers, and the fact that multiple teams couldn't wait to get rid of T.O. tells me they thought their team was better off without him, despite his great numbers. That doesn't sound like someone deserving of the Hall of Fame to me.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair Safeties were not very important prior to the 80s. Mostly because those who did play safety could not play corner. Its why you saw a lot of college safeties move to Corner (Lott was a perfect example) but then move back to safety as the 80s wore on.

Like you said anyone who watch Atwater knows he should be in. Him and Smith were the First best Safety Duo.

Funny thing about 1980.. Ken Houston retired that year. He was the last pure safety to play and get in I believe (Ronnie Lott I guess you can count, but he was a dominant corner before he was a dominant safety too)

And today with the offense first NFL, the same goes for the HOF. I know a while back it was 2:1 offense to defense getting in.

And I think another part is the safeties value. For example, you can be the 2nd best kicker of the past 20 years and probably not getting in the HOF. Top 5 WR in that time, lock. Top 10 QB in that time, lock.

Safeties aren't valued as much as other positions. Figure 3 times as many corners are given 10+ mil a year deals by GM's as safeties. It's one of those positions like right tackle, fullback, 4-3 Sam linebacker, that isn't highly valued by almost every team.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you that the HoF voting process is seriously flawed. In fact, I doubt you'd find a single Broncos fan to disagree, considering how the Broncos are criminally underrepresented.

That said, I agree with Judge's take. It should be about more than just numbers, and the fact that multiple teams couldn't wait to get rid of T.O. tells me they thought their team was better off without him, despite his great numbers. That doesn't sound like someone deserving of the Hall of Fame to me.

So does Randy Moss belong in the HOF then? Because he had the same problem.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does Randy Moss belong in the HOF then? Because he had the same problem.

Well one thing going for Moss is he was a key part of two of the best offenses in NFL history. And better post-season numbers, more TD's in fewer games, etc. My own opinion is Owens was more consistent, but Moss was more dominant at his best. And I think the NFL leans to the second one of those.

I'm fine if both were 1st ballot, fine if neither were to be honest. But if I had to pick just one, it'd be Moss

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Kramer. The most deserving of any with a chance to be inducted. It's a travesty that he isn't already there

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well one thing going for Moss is he was a key part of two of the best offenses in NFL history. And better post-season numbers, more TD's in fewer games, etc. My own opinion is Owens was more consistent, but Moss was more dominant at his best. And I think the NFL leans to the second one of those.

I'm fine if both were 1st ballot, fine if neither were to be honest. But if I had to pick just one, it'd be Moss

Oh I would vote Moss in as a 1st ballot but I would have for Owens too. Yes both were team headaches wherever they went but you cannot deny the talent they brought everywhere they went.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually being very sarcastic. The reason I included the Patriots in there was to crap on guys that say stupid stuff like "No SB Rings so he doesn't belong". If that's true than all of the Patriots who have 3 rings should be in and LT and any modern Charger, Chief, Raider, Jet, Bill, Brown etc should be excluded. Get my point?

Should T.O. be in? Half of the stuff I've read about the guy say that he was one of the worst team mates in the history of the NFL. He would throw tantrums if he wasn't targeted for half of the passes thrown in a game and stuff like that. He was a peachy keen interview and very nice and complimentary to most national media people.
Since I never saw anything other than what he could do on the field, I'd say his football skills are certainly a testimony to his acceptance as a HO Famer.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeRoy Butler needs to be in. He was at the top of his position during his era.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warner
Owens
Lynch
Cowher
Tomlinson

Are my choices for Hall of Fame in 2017.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players in bold were HOF finalists in 2016.

QUARTERBACKS
Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, Kurt Warner

Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS
Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Eddie George, Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), LaDainian Tomlinson, Herschel Walker, Ricky Watters

LaDanian Tomlinson

WIDE RECEIVERS (10)
Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard, Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason, Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

Terrell Owens

TIGHT END
Mark Bavaro

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
Tony Boselli (T), Ray Donaldson (C), Alan Faneca (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Tony Boselli

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Jason Taylor (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS

Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS
Eric Allen (CB), Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), John Lynch (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Bob Sanders (SS), Darren Sharper (FS), Dennis Smith (SS), Troy Vincent (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

Steve Atwater
Rodney Harrison

KICKERS/PUNTER
Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Brian Mitchell (KR/PR also RB), Steve Tasker (ST also WR)

COACHES
Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

Don Coryell

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People picking LYNCH over Brian Dawkins are smoking some good stuff. Lynch was a good player but was never ever EVER considered better than Brian Dawkins.

BRIAN DAWKINS is a hall of famer!

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Johnson.......coach and the "real" GM of back to back Super Bowl Champions..........
and the "real" GM who brought the COWBOYS ........Three Super Bowl Championships in Four seasons

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecklenburg was a beast. I watched him play and he was a wrecking ball on defense. Can't understand why he isn't in yet.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecklenburg was a beast. I watched him play and he was a wrecking ball on defense. Can't understand why he isn't in yet.

Kinda the guy who made Mike Nolan's career somewhat.. Loved him in that elephant backer position. Sort of reminded me of Levon Kirkland at times.

RB is a good group still. LT, Edge, Terrell Davis, Roger Craig.

A lot of really solid safeties that are worthy as well.

Then Coryell who probably had the biggest league wide impact as a coach, Jimmy Johnson who built a dynasty.

Can have 2 contributors and Jerry Jones/Tagliabue seem good for that but I wonder if one will wait a year with Pat Bowlens health. All three will be in within the next few years...

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to stop bsing and let Warner in, Owens will get in next year. It would nice for a Rams Wr to get in too.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact of the day...

The Canton Bulldogs were an NFL team for 6 years in the 1920's. They have 2 more players in the HOF than the Broncos do right now who have been a part of 8 of the 50 Super Bowls played so far in the NFL.

So are you saying there are too many Broncos in Hall?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you saying there are too many Broncos in Hall?

Well only 4 in the HOF is a bit under represented for a team that has been in close to 20% of all Super Bowls played. The two other teams with as many Super Bowl appearances are the Cowboys who have 22 players and the Steelers who have 28 players. Now given they do have more Super Bowl wins but then we can look at teams that have less Super Bowls like that of the Detroit Lions with 0 who have 21 players in the HOF. Right now the Bengals and Panthers (one of the youngest teams in the league) are the only 2 that have fewer.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well only 4 in the HOF is a bit under represented for a team that has been in close to 20% of all Super Bowls played. The two other teams with as many Super Bowl appearances are the Cowboys who have 22 players and the Steelers who have 28 players. Now given they do have more Super Bowl wins but then we can look at teams that have less Super Bowls like that of the Detroit Lions with 0 who have 21 players in the HOF. Right now the Bengals and Panthers (one of the youngest teams in the league) are the only 2 that have fewer.

I was just being sarcastic. Big Mek should be in.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but I honestly can't see any reason for LT being inducted. He was a decent RB, but he wasn't anywhere near as great as he's made out to be. He happened to play in a "weak" division (Broncos excepted) and really never propelled his team into the playoffs. More to the point, he couldn't 'grind' out yardage. He was fast to the outside and made a living on sweeps. He certainly is not a Jimmy Brown, Emmitt Smith or Barry Sanders and I just don't think he belongs in the Hall with them.