• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yu Darvish Top Priority!

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
Those asking about personnel moves: I think first priority will be Darvish. Everything else will come off that outcome.

NewbergReport Jamey Newberg
When will he be posted?

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
@NewbergReport I am told there is no certain date on that. I suspect it will all be timed around winter meetings.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
@NewbergReport When I say "around winter meetings" I mean that bidding process will end around then. Winner revealed. Negotiations to follow

NewbergReport Jamey Newberg
So how do you plan around it? @Evan_P_Grant I am told there is no certain date on that. I suspect it will all be timed around winter mtgs.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
@NewbergReport I think Rangers have a decent idea on time frame. And think they have a pretty solid idea of what CJ bid would be.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
Expect Rangers will make a CJ offer. Probably a 4yr deal. If he wants to test the market, they will be OK moving.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
I would think that would be pretty close RT @bajones_: @Evan_P_Grant how soon will they make the offer?

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
This is what I meant would be close on a Wilson offer. RT @TheNatural32: @Evan_P_Grant like 4/60ish???

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
You look at Darvish, CJ, Oswalt and CC. If you land one, great. Two: Greater.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
For record, I don't think $60 mm gets CJ, but I think that is about what Rangers are willing to offer

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
Oswalt (2-3 yrs); CJ (4 yrs); CC (5); Darvish (5). ... Think a closer more likely target than 1B. ... This is all just concjecture though.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant

Feliz and Ogando must both grow as starters, but no doubt the foundation is there.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
And I think Rangers still believe Moreland is a long-term answer at first and the priority remains pitching, not O.
2 minutes ago

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
So, how would you feel about: Darvish, Holland, Lewis, Ogando, Feliz. Papelbon or Nathan as closer?

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
Here is thing: If Rangers add a starter, even if CJ leaves, you've got huge pool to pull from. That is essence of success.

Evan_P_Grant Evan Grant
I would take Harrison in rotation and you could end up with him in 5th spot, Feliz in 'pen again, too.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can TEX wait for the winter meetings before they negotiate with CJ?

Is there enough money to sign CJ for no less than $60mil ... land Davish $100mil ... and do all of the other contacts TEX needs to do to secure the core.

I just don't see it. CJ isn't the savior. Darvish is unproven. The core needs to be tied up since it is the only component that is known.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Can TEX wait for the winter meetings before they negotiate with CJ?

Is there enough money to sign CJ for no less than $60mil ... land Davish $100mil ... and do all of the other contacts TEX needs to do to secure the core.

I just don't see it. CJ isn't the savior. Darvish is unproven. The core needs to be tied up since it is the only component that is known.

I am with you here. I do not even want CJ back. Two non stellar post season performances from him are enough for me.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you here. I do not even want CJ back. Two non stellar post season performances from him are enough for me.

2?!?!?!? He's had more than 2....

I'd be ok with keeping him - as a #2 starter. For #2-#3 money.

However #2 starter for ACE money = walk.

..........which is something he is good at doing! :dance: :bounce:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so going 31-15 in the last 2 season gets blown off

31-15 and I guess about a 3.25 ERA in reg season, but then 1-5 with 4.82ERA in post season.

Not worth Ace money. As others have said, if he is willing to take #2 money, I'd give it to him. $12M is a LOT for what he has shown he is able to handle, and $15M should be all he could hope for. I'd do something like 4 at $50M with team option for 5th year at $15M or $3M buyout. Allows him to show a bigger contract and not get screwed if he does well.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31-15 and I guess about a 3.25 ERA in reg season, but then 1-5 with 4.82ERA in post season.

Not worth Ace money. As others have said, if he is willing to take #2 money, I'd give it to him. $12M is a LOT for what he has shown he is able to handle, and $15M should be all he could hope for. I'd do something like 4 at $50M with team option for 5th year at $15M or $3M buyout. Allows him to show a bigger contract and not get screwed if he does well.

so we blow off a 2-season, 31-win pitcher. if you limit it to pitchers who do awesome in the post-season you have a very limited pool.

CJ is NOT a #1 Ace, but he is a productive pitcher who only has 2-years as a starter under his belt.

i agree that 4year contract with a 5th team option year would be good. say 4-years at 57.5M with an option year at 16M

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we blow off a 2-season, 31-win pitcher. if you limit it to pitchers who do awesome in the post-season you have a very limited pool.

CJ is NOT a #1 Ace, but he is a productive pitcher who only has 2-years as a starter under his belt

Where did I say that? I said for the right price. I'm not on board for paying him #1 money. I'm willing to pay for #2, which is what he pitches like.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did I say that? I said for the right price. I'm not on board for paying him #1 money. I'm willing to pay for #2, which is what he pitches like.

okay we're on the same page. CJ should not get #1 money.

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so going 31-15 in the last 2 season gets blown off

If we cant acquire an ace than I say bring him back. Your right CJ has been fine the last two years as a starter and he has been my favorite pitcher on the team. My two main concerns with him is his ineffectiveness in the playoffs and if we did sign him can the team still fiscally try and acquire an ace thru a trade.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we cant acquire an ace than I say bring him back. Your right CJ has been fine the last two years as a starter and he has been my favorite pitcher on the team. My two main concerns with him is his ineffectiveness in the playoffs and if we did sign him can the team still fiscally try and acquire an ace thru a trade.

and i can agree with that too. my concern is how much acquiring an Ace would entail. some on here want Shields but is it worth giving up 2 or 3 of our top 10 prospects to get him? several other teams have expressed interest in Shields, so it would be a bidding war to get him and that would cost us probably Martin Perez, N. Ramirez & maybe some combination of Profar/Ott/Ross/Villanueva. that's a pretty steep price to give up.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CJ is NOT a #1 Ace, but he is a productive pitcher who only has 2-years as a starter under his belt.

i agree that 4year contract with a 5th team option year would be good. say 4-years at 57.5M with an option year at 16M

It's sort of funny to think about giving CJ a 4 or 5 year deal after seeing how opinions have change about him in just over the last month.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's sort of funny to think about giving CJ a 4 or 5 year deal after seeing how opinions have change about him in just over the last month.

so do you want him to stay or not? basing keeping a 31 win over the last 2 years on a limited period is not the way to run a team. you have to look at WHOLE picture not on a fragment of that picture. CJ is NOT a #1 and shouldn't get #1 money but you are not going to get him to stay by offering him a 1, 2 or 3 year deal for minimal values.

what would you offer him?

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so do you want him to stay or not? basing keeping a 31 win over the last 2 years on a limited period is not the way to run a team. you have to look at WHOLE picture not on a fragment of that picture. CJ is NOT a #1 and shouldn't get #1 money but you are not going to get him to stay by offering him a 1, 2 or 3 year deal for minimal values.

what would you offer him?

Truthfully, I don't think I really care if he stays or goes. You keep talking about 16 wins and I'm wondering why there wasn't 20. What ever JD and Nolan settle on is fine with me. I don't think they will get into a bidding war for him because he's not a big game pitcher and I think we at least win the West, with or without him.

PS. I don't think either of us knows how to run a team.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully, I don't think I really care if he stays or goes. You keep talking about 16 wins and I'm wondering why there wasn't 20. What ever JD and Nolan settle on is fine with me. I don't think they will get into a bidding war for him because he's not a big game pitcher and I think we at least win the West, with or without him.

PS. I don't think either of us knows how to run a team.

now i agree with your last statement. but i have to ask,are you happy with the performance of anyone? if you're not happy with his 16 wins are you dissatisfied with Holland he only won 16. and you must really be unhappy with Colby, Ogando & Harrison too. you know LAA is going to make moves to get better so even winning the West without someone to fill those 16 wins may be a long shot. and from your comment "I think we at least win the West, with or without him" you are going to be satisfied with just winning the West

shtexas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

OK. I agree with this...I think. What is #2 money? If we offer him 5 years, $75M, is that about right?