• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your team's biggest rivalries?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for you Texas guys...state and university. Have a lot of friends/family that are alumni of UT, A&M, Baylor and Tech. From what I observed during the SWC and Big 12 days, Baylor and Tech fans had more hatred and disdain for A&M than UT fans did. Why? What did A&M do to those two? I never heard of them stealing Midnight or the Bear.
Easy to hate Aggy. Rull easy.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm.

If you were to ask the older generations of Iowa fans, Minnesota would be it. Fighting for the pig is a big thing, but Minnesota has a big lead on Iowa in the series.

If you were to talk about the tightest series, it would be Wisconsin. If Iowa wins next year, series will be all tied up, but there are some Iowa fans that don't even know it is a trophy rivalry.

Yet, I don't consider either one the biggest rivalry, because those two would probably consider each other, or another program their biggest rival. IMO, Iowa State is the biggest rival right now. Iowa is their biggest rival as well. We have to do deal with their fans as they have to deal with us. It is also not just a program to program rivalry, it's also conference vs conference. This rivalry is not just football either. Iowa is the only state that has 2 FBS programs and 0 mid-majors + both programs in P5 conferences + both programs are in different conferences. So, we are not only arguing Iowa vs ISU, but Big 12 vs B1G.

It might not be a rivalry that is close, the one that has lasted the longest, the most played, the most relevant on a national scale, but it is one that is most intense in the state of Iowa.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad went to OSU and OU
My wife family is from the barren wasteland of West Texas and are all Techies
To brother in laws, one is an Ag and the other one sips tea.

Going back as far as I can remember. Myself and every other Ag I know consider Texas as our rival. Want to beat the hell out of them in everything. Right now it's all about recruiting because that's all we are competing for.

But I, and every Ag I've known, all the way back to the SWC days; HATE Tech And HATE Baylor. I've been to games in Lubbock, Waco and Austin and actually enjoyed the atmosphere and some of the Texas fans in Austin. I couldn't say the same thing about my experiences in Lubbock. What bunch of shit heads. Waco was full of posers.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad went to OSU and OU
My wife family is from the barren wasteland of West Texas and are all Techies
To brother in laws, one is an Ag and the other one sips tea.

Going back as far as I can remember. Myself and every other Ag I know consider Texas as our rival. Want to beat the hell out of them in everything. Right now it's all about recruiting because that's all we are competing for.

But I, and every Ag I've known, all the way back to the SWC days; HATE Tech And HATE Baylor. I've been to games in Lubbock, Waco and Austin and actually enjoyed the atmosphere and some of the Texas fans in Austin. I couldn't say the same thing about my experiences in Lubbock. What bunch of shit heads. Waco was full of posers.
So the hatred/disdain does go both ways. The Aggies around me haven't ever been able to explain it. THanks.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texas rivalry lost its edge with the B12. The Texas/OU rivalry picked up steam with the B12. but I've always hated Tech and Baylor. Hard to explain. Even when the Texas rivalry was really heated I never had anyone wearing orange talk shit to me in Austin. Tech fans in Lubbock went out of their way. Just a shitty bunch of fans up there. Most of them at the games I went to weren't even alums. Just white trash red necks. My extended family that actually went there doesn't act like that...

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech fans/West Texans feel left out, so they build this hatred for the rest of the state.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Stanford? Interesting.
Oh yeah I can't believe I forgot about that one... I can change it
Notre Dame
1. USC
2. Stanford
3. Navy

Others: BC, Pitt, Miami, Purdue, *Michigan*, Michigan St.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame, UCLA and more recently Stanford.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imagesdfdf.jpg

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...all the schools we play have idiots for fans, so it's hard to find a school respectful enough to even consider a rival.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last seven years, coaches made the fans and media out to be the teams biggest rival. And we got our asses kicked by anyone we'd like to consider rivals.

I guess we're left with Iowa, Northwestern or Minnesota. That makes me sad.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington
Oregon State
Stanford sort of

SUBuddha

Stanford Nerd
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 84,965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a life long fan I was raised believing the following Cal is a Rival, ND is evil and U$C is the enemy.

So for me it is:
1) U$C (they own the series, but every so often Stanford has had a few year run).
2) ND (I was a student during the Lynch and Vardell era when Stanford won a couple at ND, and lost more than a few at home).
3) Cal F- the weenies.

Oregon is a recent thing, but I do not call it a rivalry yet. Stanford's run of good (say 2009 forward) fortune just happens to have coincided with Oregon being good.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'so, what have you done for me lately?', DEPT...

Who Owns You?
Not over the ages, but since the last time you played?

MSU's biggest rivals, therefore, include:
1. Ohio State
2. Notre Dame
3. Alabama

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah I can't believe I forgot about that one... I can change it
Notre Dame
1. USC
2. Stanford
3. Navy

Others: BC, Pitt, Miami, Purdue, *Michigan*, Michigan St.

I think I would go with this. But there is a huge gap between #1 and #2. Navy is interesting because you can't hate Navy, there is a great deal of respect between these programs for historical reasons. And because of the all time records, I'd go with Michigan as first on the "also getting votes" group, slightly ahead of MSU and Purdue.