• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You have to choose taking $10 mil tax free and quiting football or do you continue to play?

Do you take the insurance money or continue playing?

• I would continue playing

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I would take the $10 million tax free and retire

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jermichael Finley supposedly has had offers from Pittsburgh. The doctor there did surgery on his neck. The money offered was not enough. He has an insurance policy that will pay him $10 million tax free if he does not play in at least 4 games by October 20th.

Do you try to get a contract better than that and make more than that $10 million or do you take the tax free cash and retire?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...on-dilemma--what-would-you-do--171936227.html

Jimmy Graham agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract on Wednesday, at age 27.

Fellow tight end Jermichael Finley, also 27, has $10 million waiting for him. It's not $40 million, but it's enough to live comfortably the rest of his life.

All Finley has to do to collect that money is give up football. There's the rub.

Finley, who has spent his entire career with the Green Bay Packers, suffered a serious neck injury against the Cleveland Browns last year. It happened to be the final year of his contract. So he went into free agency with a neck issue that makes it hard for an NFL team to invest heavily in him.

He has a $10 million insurance policy, though. As USA Today's Tom Pelissero detailed, Finley can file a claim on Oct. 20, one year after the injury, if he hasn't played in four games by then.
Again, Finley is just 27. He is in his prime as an athlete and a healthy Finley can help many NFL teams, including the Packers. The insurance money would be great, but it's understandable that

Finley isn't ready to give up football yet. It's quite a dilemma, especially considering that if he signs with a team it's unlikely to be anywhere near $10 million, with no guarantee that he'd make that much in future contracts either. And retiring from the game would be the safest thing for him, health-wise.
"Pittsburgh have showed me a couple deals, but we all know the money ain't what it's supposed to be," Finley told USA Today. "If I quit the game right now, I can take tax-free money, and that's a difficult thing that I'm going through with myself …"
Finley is working toward a return. Finley, who had two vertabrae fused after the injury, has more tests scheduled for Wednesday, USA Today said, which he can show to teams to prove his spine is healing. He was cleared in May and he told Pelissero that doctors said it's "99.9 percent" that he'd be more protected and in better shape than he was before his injury.

But nothing in football is safe, and Finley could basically retire, collect $10 million and live a comfortable life. That life, however, would be without the sport he has spent his entire life playing. A lot of work goes into building up a career like Finley has had. Money alone can't make up for giving that up at age 27.

It's a tough choice that almost anyone would struggle with. So what would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really shouldn't be that hard. Take the money. Heck even without the money, he should ride off to the sunset. Don't mess around with what sounds like a serious health issue.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the cash and my health.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his neck injury, I think I call it quits to be honest. I've got a SB ring and all the money I could ever spend. One more good hit on the head and I could be paralyzed. It's why Michael Irvin retired early.

Take it as a sign from God and move on.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember you are asking a bunch of schlubs lol.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would've taken college insurance money. Just give me a quarter mill' for getting hurt in college & never playing again.

The punishment these guys take is not even close to worth the money they make IMO. If I played in the NFL I'd retire after my first season healthy or not. Wham bam thank you NFL.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the cash...seems like a no brainer.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the cash & run. $10 mil tax free can set your family up for generations if you use it wisely.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll pull a JDM and say I would continue playing just to argue with all of you... Wild card

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should retire even without the 10 mil. Take your health and your family and be happy. You've made some money, you can make more. You could also take one more hit and not be injured, but be dead. You're not stronger than before, it's one of the most ridiculous things people say after rehab. I suppose with people's exceptional ability to look at one singular issue, they can convince themselves of anything, but there's more going on than a fused spine.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the insurance money and walk away.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Finley should retire, what does that say about PManning? I'm guessing he has a lot more than $10 million squared away.....

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mannings injury was lower in the neck, the only problem he had was nerve damage after surgery. That takes a long time to heal and he was faced with losing some function in his arm. Finley's is higher in the neck. he's not looking at tingling in the arm, he's facing death. I'm not trying to be dramatic, it's just the truth.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tax free? No brainer...take the $10 mil (not a structured pay out I hope) and be able to walk (hopefully w/o a cane), run around, play with your kids, etc.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you can't fuck around with a neck injury. It's not a like a lingering shoulder or leg injury that you could deal with later on in life. I just hope he lives smart enough to make that money last. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to live off of $10 million if you do it right.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if the Insurance company didn't have a clause in his contract saying that if an NFL contract was offered to him and he REFUSED to play, then the insurance policy would be voided. If its one thing that insurance companies hate to do, its pay out their claims. While the claim might be "tax free," it won't be attorney-fee and court-cost free.

That being said, assuming Finley proves that he CANNOT play, then I would definitely take the money too.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on my position and long term prospects. When I was young the NFL life style would have been appealing, now it'd be a pain in the ass.
Without specifics, I'd take the cash.