• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Yooooour AFC Champion Cincinnati Bengals vs former NFL champion KC Chiefs.

who wins this

• Bengals by 7 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bengals by 1 to 6

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Tie

• Chiefs by 1 to 6

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Chiefs by 7 or more

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love going for it on 4th down - hate the call. Stop calling plays that go to the edge. Shortages distance between 2 points is a straight line.

Spread out the defense with 4 or even 5 wide. Force the defense to cover everyone and put the ball in Joe's hands. He can run up and sneak it, drop back and look for a guy, or take off and run...

Lou continues to be a master of disguising his defense. KC did a great job, especially driving for 2 TD's that they did....but in the end, Lou continued to dial up play calls, and guys executed.
yep. basically a running formation. our line vs their line, all or nothing. then they got cute.

heck, at that point, just make a direct rb snap, or a QB sneak. don't f a round

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can be overstated how impressive it is to beat Mahomes and the Chiefs 3 times in a row. I couldn't believe that stat yesterday that the Chiefs had won 26 straight games in November and December.... I mean, their standard of success is just insane. Something about them brings out the best in the Bengals. Even on a day when we made too many mistakes, we still hung on to win.

I don't want to criticize Zac because he clearly righted the ship on offense after a disastrous start to the season... He should get credit for the turnaround. And he did finally put the ball in his QB's hands to seal the victory. But the jet sweep - Ugh!!!! Also, for the love of god, can we stop qb sneaking on 2nd and 1? Is there any other team in the league that flushes great opportunities on that favorable down/distance?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of the few that didn't like the going for it on 4th near our goalline. When you have a chance to go up by a full TD, you do it. Then I also didn't like the going for a FG on 4th and 6 when we were down 7. I completely disagree with Taylor on when and why to go for it or not go for it on 4th down. The jet sweep I thought was a great play call actually. It was a TD if Dunlap doesn't just dive at Taylor without even knowing if he had the ball. Zero blocking on him caused that. On a jet sweep like that to the right, the entire line needs to block the defender to their right leaving the RDE unblocked and get a hat on the LDE. Bad play by the oline, great play by Dunlap.

I am not going to criticize the game plan as it worked without Awuzie, but Taylor and I have a disagreement on when to go for it on 4th.

I love the heart and passion of this team with Burrow at QB and the guys on our defense. Perine has changed the quality of this offensive efficiency. He is such a good blocker, tough runner, hits holes hard, goes south, not east and west or dancing at the line. He has done a good job catching and running with the ball. I hope Mixon has been taking notes, and I think Perine needs as many touches per game as Mixon to keep them both fresh.

Now we have to get over that hurdle we call the Browns.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of the few that didn't like the going for it on 4th near our goalline. When you have a chance to go up by a full TD, you do it. Then I also didn't like the going for a FG on 4th and 6 when we were down 7. I completely disagree with Taylor on when and why to go for it or not go for it on 4th down. The jet sweep I thought was a great play call actually. It was a TD if Dunlap doesn't just dive at Taylor without even knowing if he had the ball. Zero blocking on him caused that. On a jet sweep like that to the right, the entire line needs to block the defender to their right leaving the RDE unblocked and get a hat on the LDE. Bad play by the oline, great play by Dunlap.

I am not going to criticize the game plan as it worked without Awuzie, but Taylor and I have a disagreement on when to go for it on 4th.

I love the heart and passion of this team with Burrow at QB and the guys on our defense. Perine has changed the quality of this offensive efficiency. He is such a good blocker, tough runner, hits holes hard, goes south, not east and west or dancing at the line. He has done a good job catching and running with the ball. I hope Mixon has been taking notes, and I think Perine needs as many touches per game as Mixon to keep them both fresh.

Now we have to get over that hurdle we call the Browns.
The issue isn't the call itself.... On 3rd and a long 1, they go for the sneak - That was probably a bit far for a sneak. Why not run Perine there if you are committed to running? On 4th and inches (a spot that would be good for a sneak), you don't do it? Not to mention, you just ran two plays in bunch formation with very little threat to throw. They had Chase on the field - Why not at least spread him out? Finally, they bring in Trent Taylor for the 4th down play. My immediate thought was that they were going to throw the flat pass to him that they scored on the 2-point conversion to tie the game in the AFCC last year. Zac is not really swift with his personnel changes - If a guy that normally doesn't play much gets on the field, he's almost always directly involved in the play. My guess is that Dunlap just made an educated guess that it was a jet sweep to Taylor. I think these plays would work if they weren't telegraphed as easily.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue isn't the call itself.... On 3rd and a long 1, they go for the sneak - That was probably a bit far for a sneak. Why not run Perine there if you are committed to running? On 4th and inches (a spot that would be good for a sneak), you don't do it? Not to mention, you just ran two plays in bunch formation with very little threat to throw. They had Chase on the field - Why not at least spread him out? Finally, they bring in Trent Taylor for the 4th down play. My immediate thought was that they were going to throw the flat pass to him that they scored on the 2-point conversion to tie the game in the AFCC last year. Zac is not really swift with his personnel changes - If a guy that normally doesn't play much gets on the field, he's almost always directly involved in the play. My guess is that Dunlap just made an educated guess that it was a jet sweep to Taylor. I think these plays would work if they weren't telegraphed as easily.

Dunlap knows the behavior patterns, lol.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, to reiterate, I do give Taylor a lot of credit for how this team is built and how this offense is functioning. Not all offensive coaches would be as flexible as he is with his system. The things he wanted to do at the beginning of the year weren't working, he made adjustments and the offense is cooking. They are a better team than they were last year - They'll need a lot of good bounces, but they have a chance to make a run.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it can be overstated how impressive it is to beat Mahomes and the Chiefs 3 times in a row. I couldn't believe that stat yesterday that the Chiefs had won 26 straight games in November and December.... I mean, their standard of success is just insane. Something about them brings out the best in the Bengals. Even on a day when we made too many mistakes, we still hung on to win.

I don't want to criticize Zac because he clearly righted the ship on offense after a disastrous start to the season... He should get credit for the turnaround. And he did finally put the ball in his QB's hands to seal the victory. But the jet sweep - Ugh!!!! Also, for the love of god, can we stop qb sneaking on 2nd and 1? Is there any other team in the league that flushes great opportunities on that favorable down/distance?
I'll disagree on the 2nd and 1 QB sneak....get the 1st down. For an OL that has struggled at the point of attack in the run game most of this year - I'm OK with just moving the chains. It's another set of downs. Especially considering how atrocious some of the 3rd and 4th down plays have gone in short yardage situations.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunlap knows the behavior patterns, lol.
Dunlap really doesn't know Taylor much, and Burrow less. Dunlap was traded in October of Burrow's 1st year, which he got hurt anyway.

From the looks of the play - I believe they said Burrow audibled to that play, and clearly someone missed the read, or Joe just F'd up. If he had kept the ball on the QB sneak for that play and ran right, Dunlap would have tackled a guy that didn't have the ball, and Burrow could have crawled into the endzone.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, to reiterate, I do give Taylor a lot of credit for how this team is built and how this offense is functioning. Not all offensive coaches would be as flexible as he is with his system. The things he wanted to do at the beginning of the year weren't working, he made adjustments and the offense is cooking. They are a better team than they were last year - They'll need a lot of good bounces, but they have a chance to make a run.
I keep saying - I don't think he's a great play caller - he gets less out of more - but he's a hell of a HC and it is clear that he has the teams' respect.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll disagree on the 2nd and 1 QB sneak....get the 1st down. For an OL that has struggled at the point of attack in the run game most of this year - I'm OK with just moving the chains. It's another set of downs. Especially considering how atrocious some of the 3rd and 4th down plays have gone in short yardage situations.
I can see the utility when you are backed up in your own end..... I don't see it after you've reached midfield. After you have crossed your own 45, you're basically going on all 4th and shorts. Yes, it's possible that a sack can put you behind the chains on 2nd and 1 and maybe that's why you're hesitant to take a deep shot. But this offensive line is not last year's line. They aren't getting blown up at the point of attack and they have the ability to open the playbook more. I think the offense can still unlock much more.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about that, if it is true, the announcers yesterday said the Bengals were first in the NFL on 3rd and 3 or less in conversion rate. Like 70+ percent. Pretty sure that is the stat they were listing off.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of shit at the beginning of t he year wasn't working because most starters had no preseason, Burrow was recovering, the offensive line was atrocious. Taylor didn't have a lot working out because he didn't have a lot working properly in general. Execution is the second part after play call. The play call can look horrible or genius depending on the execution. Fortunately, Taylor has an elite QB for execution when he is on his game and the pieces around him are producing.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of shit at the beginning of t he year wasn't working because most starters had no preseason, Burrow was recovering, the offensive line was atrocious. Taylor didn't have a lot working out because he didn't have a lot working properly in general. Execution is the second part after play call. The play call can look horrible or genius depending on the execution. Fortunately, Taylor has an elite QB for execution when he is on his game and the pieces around him are producing.
Yeah, not playing the OL in the pre-season was dumb. If they had already been together and played, then fine...but a brand new LG, C, RG, RT and you didn't think it was worth getting them some actual reps in a true "game" like environment? Dumb.

I get Collins may have been limited as I know he was still working through his back issues - and Burrow wasn't going to play - missing that month really hurt him with timing....but the OL could have been a little better prepared, IMO.

That being said - it's possible the lack of PT caused a limitation in the play-calling department early on as guys were still getting used to the offense. But, running out of the under center formation 90% of the time is a recipe for disaster. There just needs to be a bit more balance between looks and outcomes of the play-calling. That seems to have rectified itself over the past few games, but needs to continue.

As for 3rd and short, 4th and short - more Burrow with the ball in his hands, and less trying to get cute. Last night I think they became more worried about how much time was going to be left on the clock for KC than getting the actual score. At that point in the game, while important, it wasn't like it was the 4th quarter at the end of the game....there was still an entire 2nd half to play - and if anyone should know the importance of the 2nd half in a game against KC - it should be the Bengals....

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that some of the beginning of the year was rust and the line needed to gel. But I also think that Zac and Frank wanted us to have more success in the wide-zone run scheme and it just didn't fit with our personnel. I think they also got obsessed with hole shots against cover 2 in the pass game and weren't working the field enough in the middle. Burrow is so good at locating windows in the middle of the field that he can succeed even against good coverage concepts. They've made adjustments and they are looking like the offense we all thought they might be. And this offense is much more sustainable than last year's all or none group.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that some of the beginning of the year was rust and the line needed to gel. But I also think that Zac and Frank wanted us to have more success in the wide-zone run scheme and it just didn't fit with our personnel. I think they also got obsessed with hole shots against cover 2 in the pass game and weren't working the field enough in the middle. Burrow is so good at locating windows in the middle of the field that he can succeed even against good coverage concepts. They've made adjustments and they are looking like the offense we all thought they might be. And this offense is much more sustainable than last year's all or none group.
On a side note, Dallas is getting scary good right now. That defense coupled with that offense. Shesh. The Bills of the NFC. Eagles look really good too.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note, Dallas is getting scary good right now. That defense coupled with that offense. Shesh. The Bills of the NFC. Eagles look really good too.
Until Dallas/Dak when a playoff game....they are nothing but the 2010's Andy Dalton led teams...LOL