• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(WW)F1 off season discussion

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porsche is owned by VW so there may be tighter directions from the parent company.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of changes Porsche will make. I can't see them tolerating Marko's mouthiness for long.

I also wonder how much cooperation there will be between Porsche and Audi. They're gonna want Audi to improve on Alfa's performance straight away.
The last I saw, Porsche was only trying to buy in to RB Powertrains at like a 50% level, so they would t exactly be running the show or anything, ans would still likely even work under the RBP moniker, just with additional Porsche branding on the car.

My understanding was Audi is going all in and essentially a full works team with chassis and engine, so while weird 2 teams from the same brand, they’d have very different focuses

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a load of bullshit. If the article is true, what the hell is F-1 afraid of?? There is no bigger name right now that Andretti, trying to get into F-1.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a load of bullshit. If the article is true, what the hell is F-1 afraid of?? There is no bigger name right now that Andretti, trying to get into F-1.

I didn’t read the article but the teams say they’d like Andretti to join as a brand, but when it comes to brass tacks, none of them really want an 11th team that cuts into their revenue pie.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that is part of it but they fail to consider the revenue Andretti will bring with him in sponsors and partial collateral businesses that will "ride along" to enter European and other world markets. F-1 has too many blinders on and Andretti knows it but he'll keep pounding away. Haas went through this about 10 years ago and they like his revenue generation now as he brought all of his business partners with him to F-1. This is why all of F-1's talk about the future is mostly alot of bullshit.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t read the article but the teams say they’d like Andretti to join as a brand, but when it comes to brass tacks, none of them really want an 11th team that cuts into their revenue pie.

It's an expensive sport and when you lose revenues it matters.

I'd rather have Audi and Porsche join up as they are than add the Andrettis.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m an Audi and Porsche guy anyway, so I couldn’t be more excited about them joining the fold, but a real, proven American racing program and brand (sorry Gene) would be fun to have in the fold and would be good for the sport. Especially if it served as a mechanism to help attract and develop an American driver at some point.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m an Audi and Porsche guy anyway, so I couldn’t be more excited about them joining the fold, but a real, proven American racing program and brand (sorry Gene) would be fun to have in the fold and would be good for the sport. Especially if it served as a mechanism to help attract and develop an American driver at some point.

Dan Wheldon's son ran his first F4 race this weekend. With the way Michael And retro stepped up for the Wheldon kids, I could see that being the match down the road.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is the real deal who is very interested in driving in F-1 if Andretti can get a place is Colton Herta who drives for Andretti in the IndyCar series. Wheldon's son is another.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last I saw, Porsche was only trying to buy in to RB Powertrains at like a 50% level, so they would t exactly be running the show or anything, ans would still likely even work under the RBP moniker, just with additional Porsche branding on the car.

My understanding was Audi is going all in and essentially a full works team with chassis and engine, so while weird 2 teams from the same brand, they’d have very different focuses
I thought they were buying 50% of Red Bull Technologies, of which RBPT and RBR are subsidiaries so owning 50% of the parent co would give them equal control over the Powertrains and Racing team.

Audi announced that they are closing their LMdH program (LeMans) so they will be all in on F1. I am looking forward to that considering what they've done in Rally, DTM and LeMans when they went for it. .

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just want to see real brands racing. What would the Andretti's field that would be branded American? A Ford Ecoboost? An American driver is much more realistic to hope for.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Audi and Porsche are owned by VW. Andretti tried to buy Alfa the first time around but there are rumors he will buy engines from Ferrari and field a Haas chassis or essentially run a Haas car if he gets approved on his second attempt. Other rumors include Andretti fielding a McLaren based car. I suppose we will know the real story when it happens.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This will be interesting to watch. Both AM and Red Bull spent a lot of money on facilities last year and I wonder if it's gray area on how that stuff is counted or if these two teams just flat out overspent on development or material.

Either way, if there is provable overage there needs to be a harsh punishment beyond financial penalties. Otherwise, all the teams will figure fines into the budget and just ignore the cap going forward. If they dock WDC or WCC points for last year that is going to be maximum chaos. Plus the question becomes how much did the overspend affect this year's car? Next year's?

Toto had some interesting comments about it. He said they had to cut 40 people between 2020 and now to be compliant and also had to use used parts in the car this late in the season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "final" answer:

AM was compliant, but filled some forms in wrong.

RB overspent less than 5%, and claims it was on catering and replacement staff during ilnesses and not on car development.

Now FIA has to figure out what, if anything, needs to come in the form of penalties. I doubt anything significant will come of it especially considering the amount of sway Red Bull seems to have in lobbying for and against penalties in every other aspect of the sport. "We only need one racing lap"

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a371v72830t91.jpg

Red Bull's statement; If they are saying there is an argument or regulations that are open to interpretation then you have to assume they overspent this year too.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are saying there is an argument or regulations that are open to interpretation then you have to assume they overspent this year too.
There is a huge list of stuff that is omitted from the cost cap, so I can see there actually being confusion, especially if something like catering isn’t omitted. There are other things that are omitted that seem more impactful to running a racing program

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn’t make things easy to account. Not shocked in the slightest there are discrepancies

960x0.jpg