• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(WW)F1 off season discussion

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After what was the closest season since 4 guys went into Abu Dhabi in 2010 with the chance to win a championship, we embark into a 90 day off season with Max(sterisk) Verstappen holding the championship win, Mercedes still foaming at the mouth over a call and several teams and drivers left with a lot of questions over the competence of a race director who played hard and fast with the rules, changed the championship outcome with 5 laps left and contradicted his own interpretation of the rules. The matter has been referred to the Court of Appeal for Sport (CAS). I am kind of surprised Ferrari isn't squawking about why the lapped cars between Carlos and Max weren't also told to go through, taking away Carlos' shot at a win.

Here's what I am talking about when I say contradicted his own interpretation: Masi explains reason for late Eifel GP Safety Car
"”There’s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars past,” Masi said."

Other notes lost in the mayhem: The Iceman has gone. Enjoy retirement Kimi. Go easy on the drink. Antonio Giovanazzi is also out of F1 for now. Which is a huge shame.

Also, Ross Brawn quietly stepped down from his leadership role at FOM and didn't say a whole lot about why. Last night, Ferrari announced new investments in their facility in maranello and they will "Welcome back some old friends". So I wonder if he is heading back to the mothership? One thing for sure, he has to be glad he isn't associated with the mess of the last race.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max(sterisk) Verstappen
Don’t try to make this a thing.

I also think it sucks for Giovanazzi. Another supremely talented guy who isn’t rich enough for F1.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can wonder what Haas is going to do in the off-season as they have continued to be stuck in the bottom half of the field for at least the last three years with no anticipated advancement in sight. I wonder if they can't afford F-1 either. Now with rumblings from Danica and others like Michael Andretti here in the U.S. who tried to buy into F-1 from a number of rumored teams and venues and has since signed former F-1 driver Romain Grosjean to pilot the Number 28 DHL IndyCar, these developments will be interesting to see what progresses from all the talk. Many in the U.S. want a bigger U.S. presence in F-1 but if the experience of Haas so far is any indication of the quality of another U.S. team, I am not sure all of this would be better served just letting the suggestions die.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While MB and RB accounted for 1,199 constructors points, the only 1-2 of this season was McLaren’s at Monza.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can wonder what Haas is going to do in the off-season as they have continued to be stuck in the bottom half of the field for at least the last three years with no anticipated advancement in sight. I wonder if they can't afford F-1 either. Now with rumblings from Danica and others like Michael Andretti here in the U.S. who tried to buy into F-1 from a number of rumored teams and venues and has since signed former F-1 driver Romain Grosjean to pilot the Number 28 DHL IndyCar, these developments will be interesting to see what progresses from all the talk. Many in the U.S. want a bigger U.S. presence in F-1 but if the experience of Haas so far is any indication of the quality of another U.S. team, I am not sure all of this would be better served just letting the suggestions die.
Haas’ ‘fit’ in F1 was always weird to me just bc of the type of company they are. For those unfamiliar with the machine tool community, no F1 team would use Haas machine products - think Saks, Nordstrom, and then TJ Maxx. They fit NASCAR just fine, but without a major additional, outside investment, I don’t think there is any way they can fund a competitive mid-field program. Building an F1 team from scratch is far too ambitious of an undertaking.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haas’ ‘fit’ in F1 was always weird to me just bc of the type of company they are. For those unfamiliar with the machine tool community, no F1 team would use Haas machine products - think Saks, Nordstrom, and then TJ Maxx. They fit NASCAR just fine, but without a major additional, outside investment, I don’t think there is any way they can fund a competitive mid-field program. Building an F1 team from scratch is far too ambitious of an undertaking.

Even if you take old Ferrari parts for the most part.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone appears to be changing their tune and believe someone in the governing body of F-1 manipulated the Abu Dhabi race. It wasn't a conspiracy but the bias was so bad that the result is not would should have happened. The decision and rules regarding the lap cars and the Safety Car procedure are very clear and the stewards did not follow the protocol correctly. MB is really pushing this appeal to the higher court and rightly so. We shall see what has transpires.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new President of the FIA is the guy who made the Saudi GP happen (the one Lewis sais it wasn't his choice to be there), and this is his stance on Hamilton skipping the awards ceremony:
The new FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem, will decide later on possible punishment for Lewis Hamilton, who did not show up on Thursday. "As a former driver, I understand that he is very emotional and disappointed, but we can't just ignore the rules."

lol

And also, this happened: Bernie Eccelstone's wife was just named VP of the FIA.
pr8k6emb86681.jpg

None of this is going to make anything better.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me wants to believe that Gene Haas is smarter than trying to field an F1 team solely on the hope it would help him sell more machines to other teams (who are already fully outfitted), but another part of me feels like Gene Haas is exactly that stupid.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it nailed forty_three. Some people here in the U.S. agree with you like Mario Andretti who quietly has asserted the same conclusion.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The full wheel covers, while functional, look dumb. Drivers have said they’ve got a little more trouble placing the car bc the new wheels and tires are harder to see over. I’m sure they’ll get that sorted

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have to adjust to the slightly higher speeds and the dynamics of turning at high speeds have their own required driver adjustments. It won't take a guy like Hamilton or any of the top five drivers long to find a good rhythm with all of the changes.