• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would you rather?

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks to me like all you are doing is crying about how bad things are. Claiming the bowls are "antiquated" and blah blah. When #4 wins, it proves everything, when everyone else wins, it proves nothing.

Blah blah blah.

Nothing but complaints for college football.

Answer me this - how long have you been watching college football? Because you clearly have no respect for the things that make college football great.

Yes, because commenting on something = crying. If that's the case then Niagara falls has nothing on you this thread. You constantly complaining and arguing about peoples will to see a tweak in the system.

And there are many fans and pundits (both older and younger then me) who would agree the bowl system needs an overhaul. FFS we have 5-7 team's in bowl games. Think about that for a moment.

College football has changed A LOT in the 150 year history of it. It will continue to change and evolve. To treat it like its been this bastion of consistency and awesomeness for 150 years is hilariously inaccurate.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... there's 4 playoff spots for 5 P5 conference teams. The 4th spot gets extremely competitive between the last 2 conference champions. The overall volume of work gets heavily scrutinized by the committee. That's where the committee starts to reward teams for playing tougher OOC. If you allow 4 extra teams, why risk playing the tougher OOC schedule? AD's will play it safe to ensure a pay day in the playoffs.
Again, I'm fine with four. I just don't buy your "sacred regular season" bullshit when some of the regular season isn't even close to sacred. Take the sacred bullshit somewhere else. That dog won't hunt.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm fine with four. I just don't buy your "sacred regular season" bullshit when some of the regular season isn't even close to sacred. Take the sacred bullshit somewhere else. That dog won't hunt.

You're borderline retarded. I call it "sacred" because there's no other sport that the regular season is so important, which is true. Having an 8 team dilutes the regular season integrity as it affords more room for error for a loss. Somehow you pick random individual games vs. FCS opponents as not supporting my argument. Has nothing to do with that. The way it's set up now, the playoffs only reward conference champions. If you go to 8 teams, then there's not as much pressure to win a conference, thus diluting the meaningfulness of the regular season.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're borderline retarded. I call it "sacred" because there's no other sport that the regular season is so important, which is true. Having an 8 team dilutes the regular season integrity as it affords more room for error for a loss. Somehow you pick random individual games vs. FCS opponents as not supporting my argument. Has nothing to do with that. The way it's set up now, the playoffs only reward conference champions. If you go to 8 teams, then there's not as much pressure to win a conference, thus diluting the meaningfulness of the regular season.
The regular season has already been diluted. It has been diluted with those "random individual games vs. FCS opponents" you reference. If I'm borderline, then you've already crossed over that line and gone full retard if you think the ENTIRE regular season is pure and hasn't been diluted.

Definition of diluted - "make (something) weaker in force, content, or value by modifying it or adding other elements to it."

Where I will agree with you is if those FCS games are traded for high quality OOC games, that would be better than an additional in conference game with one of the conference doormats.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regular season has already been diluted. It has been diluted with those "random individual games vs. FCS opponents" you reference. If I'm borderline, then you've already crossed over that line and gone full retard if you think the ENTIRE regular season is pure and hasn't been diluted.

Definition of diluted - "make (something) weaker in force, content, or value by modifying it or adding other elements to it."

Where I will agree with you is if those FCS games are traded for high quality OOC games, that would be better than an additional in conference game with one of the conference doormats.

In my opinion that's what the 4 team playoff forces you to do. In the current format, there's no guarantee winning your conference will get you in. Just recently the B1G committed to not scheduling FCS opponents anymore for this very reason.

SweetGAPeech

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like 4 teams.

8 teams brings in to play some teams that may be undeserving. Football is already unique in that the lack of a multiple game series isn't used to truly determine the better team. Too much luck, poor officiating, injuries, etc to think about in football that would allow a lesser team to defeat a better team when it only needs to do so once. Therefore, 4 teams is the sweetspot so that everyone that gets in is undeniably deserving of a spot and if games are decided by outside factors it isn't as concerning b/c the teams were equal.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion that's what the 4 team playoff forces you to do. In the current format, there's no guarantee winning your conference will get you in. Just recently the B1G committed to not scheduling FCS opponents anymore for this very reason.
Now we are reaching some agreement. The only part I disagree with is when people try to use the "EVERY regular season game means something" argument. In theory it should. In practice it doesn't.

I too like the "no guarantee's" part a lot because of situations like the 2011 UCLA team. They got into the CCG because the south was shitty and had they beaten Oregon, they'd of been conference champs with 6 losses! That shouldn't guarantee a spot at the table.

On the other extreme, I do not think an undefeated conference champion should NOT qualify if they only beat one other good team in their conference to get there. Often conferences only have one or two teams worth a shit in a given year so even though they played 8 or 9 conference games, it doesn't mean any but 1 were tough. And if their OOC was Bayloesque, that should further punish them...even if they were undefeated. JMO

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because commenting on something = crying. If that's the case then Niagara falls has nothing on you this thread. You constantly complaining and arguing about peoples will to see a tweak in the system.

And there are many fans and pundits (both older and younger then me) who would agree the bowl system needs an overhaul. FFS we have 5-7 team's in bowl games. Think about that for a moment.

College football has changed A LOT in the 150 year history of it. It will continue to change and evolve. To treat it like its been this bastion of consistency and awesomeness for 150 years is hilariously inaccurate.

If you don't like the bowl games, then don't watch them. Problem solved.

Personally, I fucking love every damn one of them even if I don't get to watch them all.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue that the SOS would still mean plenty at 8 teams, at least in the format I proposed where P5 champs get in automatically. Teams would still be looking to have a strong SOS to win the at-large bid if they didn't win their CCG, and because winning the CCG means you get it there would be no reason to fear losing an early season non-conference game. Just look at FCS right now. The big name programs like EWU and NDSU schedule FBS programs and other top FCS schools in the non-conference all the time. The 24 team playoff doesn't deter them from seeking out competition.

So you have 8 spots available, and you still need to have auto-bids from conference champions? If they can't get in on their own merits, then maybe they just don't belong?

And no, even with 4 teams record still far outweighs schedule strength right now. You'll suck every bit of the rest out of it because teams will be more worried about not taking a loss than before.

You're 100% correct here, but the problem is people want to see more games that mean something. A match up of top 10 teams with the opportunity to move on to play for the championship is exponentially more interesting than the same top 10 teams meeting in a glorified exhibition game. Maybe I'm being a little harsh there, but you have to admit that winning a non-playoff NY6 bowl game has become less of an accomplishment since the inception of the playoff.

Yeah, and we have those every year during the regular season, as the regular season still has meaning.

The argument for the expanded playoff is that you're adding more games that mean something. Not just that you're adding game for the hell of it. It's "adding" games for the purpose of better entertainment value.

Does a "problem" exist? Probably not. The system right now is okay. It's certainly better than the BCS which was a complete joke. But there is room for improvement IMO.

The BCS was not a complete joke. How long have you been watching college football? Do you remember how it was before the BCS when it was rare to even get #1 vs #2 to play each other at the end of the year? I do. In all the years it was going, only 2 years were there any real controversy. Even then, all that was ever needed was 3 teams, but since you need even numbers, today we have 4 - which is perfect.

Furthermore, since all the conferences are going to championship game formats(with the Big12 surely coming along soon), you basically have a defacto 10 team playoff already. And the extra teams you want to include already play in these games.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Increase the CFP to 8 teams and the first rounds are played at the home of the higher ranked team? Or keep the CFP as it is today?
The problem with 3 at-larges is that you get teams that didn't play in their conference championships. The teams that lose in their CCG will fall in the rankings and won't qualify for a playoff spot. That's what my proposal eliminates, but I got raked over the coals for my idea. Having said that I think there are a few morons on here that didn't really look at it and simply called me a POS. My plan is a de facto 10-team playoff with each division winner making up the 10 teams. The 5 winners advance to the CFP. Last season...

(4)Oklahoma (11-1) vs (5)Stanford (11-2)---winner gets (1)Clemson (13-0)
(2)Alabama (12-1) vs (3)Michigan St (12-1)

All I did was add Stanford. Jesus Christ.

I also want the other 5 to have their own playoff. Nobody wants to see Alabama playing Bowling Green or Arkansas St in a playoff game.

(4)Bowling Green (10-3) vs (5)Arkansas St (9-3)---winner plays (1)Houston (12-1)
(2)Western Kentucky (11-2) vs (3)San Diego St (10-3)

This would be fun.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 teams sucks. Add in the fact we ALREADY have an 8 to 10 team playoff due to conference championship games, and this whole 8 team playoff talk is beyond retarded.

Why are we trying to fix something that isn't broken? And not only break the current system, but dilute it and bring about rematches and possibly teams playing each other for a 3rd time.

Seems pretty fucking simple to me. If you can't win your "regional" conference, then why do you deserve the right to play for a "national" championship?

Pretty easy 5 step system we have right now:

1. Schedule your OOC games as if you don't have a vagina
2. Win your division
3. Win your conference
4. Get a bid to the CFP
5. Win both games to be crowned champ

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Schedule your OOC games as if you don't have a vagina
Don't you mean game instead of "games"?

Most only schedule one OOC that isn't a guaranteed win.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All conference champions should be rewarded with a playoff spot. Everybody else is OUT. If Michigan beats Ohio St in the regular season finale which decides the division and everyone still thinks Ohio St is the 2nd best team in the nation then tough. The Buckeyes are out. People think the regular season has become less meaningful. What the hell ever. What's so wrong with giving these teams a playoff spot (2015)?

(1)Clemson (13-0)--ACC
(2)Alabama (12-1)--SEC
(3)Michigan St (12-1)--Big Ten
(4)Oklahoma (11-1)--Big XII
(5)Stanford (11-2)--Pac-12
-----------------
(1)Houston (12-1)--AAC
(2)Western Kentucky (11-2)--C-USA
(3)San Diego St (10-3)--MWC
(4)Bowling Green (10-3)--MAC
(5)Arkansas St (9-3)--SBC

HuskerOC, I dedicate this to you...my biggest fan.:thumb:

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expand to 8, no doubt. If they went to 8, I'd like to see all P5 conference champs get in and one G5 team automatically get in. Last two spots are for wildcards

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the FBS is this large - there will be no great solution.

What other sport tells half of it's league on day 1 that it is impossible for them to be the champion? There needs to be some way that every team can control their destiny.

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All conference champions should be rewarded with a playoff spot.

No.

Not unless and until there is some parity in conferences. At that point, absolutely.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction." -- John F. Kennedy

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take your NFL shit to the NFL.

Personally, I like a regular season that matters.

except not everyones regular matters as much as others.

In the $EC you can take a loss and because E$PNis sucks your cock you can still make the playoffs.

If Nebraska loses they are done.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except not everyones regular matters as much as others.

In the $EC you can take a loss and because E$PNis sucks your cock you can still make the playoffs.

If Nebraska loses they are done.

Yep, the SEC has been the only conference to get a team into the playoffs with 1 loss.

Oh wait, 6 out of the 8 teams that have made it to the playoffs have done it with a loss, and neither of them won it all. Florida St and Clemson, 2 ACC teams, are the one ones to be undefeated going into the playoffs.

Sounds to me like you're just a cry baby who needs to whine about the SEC rather than accept the reality.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the FBS is this large - there will be no great solution.

What other sport tells half of it's league on day 1 that it is impossible for them to be the champion? There needs to be some way that every team can control their destiny.
Excellent point. That's why I'd like to see the Power 5 and the other 5 have separate playoffs. DI-AA (FCS) was formed in 1978. So, there is precedence.

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excellent point. That's why I'd like to see the Power 5 and the other 5 have separate playoffs. DI-AA (FCS) was formed in 1978. So, there is precedence.

While no way practical or possible for that matter - In my fantasy world I like the idea of a 64 team Div 1/2 with relegation factors. Teams only play teams from their Division, a small bracket determines champions. Imagine the agony and shame of watching your school get relegated! Or the elation of promotion...

I expect the "get this soccer shit out of here" - Screw you it's my fantasy! :finger: