• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Call in Super Bowl History?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of this

If they didn’t miss the one in the first half that call might be irrelevant as the chiefs just run the ball. Clear out the clock and kick a fg anyway, but they could’ve been up 7 if they scored on that drive in the first half that stopped due to the missed call
Quez Watkins drop has the beaten defender playing chase and he gets there early. There are tons of plays that can be pointed to that brought a “let them play” standard from officials.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s not a catch according to the rule. You can debate whether the rule should be changed but as it’s currently officiated that’s not a catch. He needs to take a third step after he gets possession. He doesn’t make a football move. You’re reacting to how slow it looks on replay. The Super Bowl is a big day for a bunch of casuals. I highly recommend investing in NFL football going forward and not just the Super Bowl. It’s entertaining like this on a weekly basis.

Yea, that was a catch & fumble 40 years ago.. but not anymore with the "football move" requirement.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor penalties until there's 2 minutes to go. Should have been 4th and 8. Instead the fix was in and the Chiefs were allowed to run out the clock.

NFL is getting worse than the NBA
That's not the thread topic

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor penalties until there's 2 minutes to go. Should have been 4th and 8. Instead the fix was in and the Chiefs were allowed to run out the clock.

NFL is getting worse than the NBA

Grabbing the jersey of a player running away from you is a penalty, always was.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive holding doesn’t carry the prerequisite that it has to be a catchable ball.
...especially on a timing route. That ball was thrown where the WR was expected to be had he not been held.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, that was a catch & fumble 40 years ago.. but not anymore with the "football move" requirement.
Yep... They've mad a lot of changes to keep the game more safe (I guess). This one seems odd to me - only because he clearly turned after the catch to head downfield.

(I guess I should stick to baseball)...

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...especially on a timing route. That ball was thrown where the WR was expected to be had he not been held.
Then it’s incomplete anyway because even if Juju runs that clean he doesn’t catch up to that. Maybe Mahomes makes a different throw but that’s not connecting. It does fit the standard of uncatchable ball but that isn’t a component here.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the happenings within the game became irrelevant in the last 2 minutes. Officials need to be objective and that holding call was not. In order for that referee to make that call he had to weigh 2 important reasons, 1 did the contact impedes the receiver's performance and if it did was the ball actually a catchable ball?. So he has to say to himself, how much does it affect the outcome of the play?
I think he should have picked up the flag because that ball was not catchable. Replay( and as 1 poster noted showed a loss of maybe 3 steps? ) showed the ball was over 10 yards away and only 1 yard from the OB.
The official clearly changed the course of the game. KC would have gotten a field goal, no doubt but there was 1:48? on the clock and 2-time outs for Philly. The suspense and outcome were still in question, making it the game we expected and most probably one of the greatest but that call took all that away.
If anyone reviews that play and objectively sees its significance, they cannot deny the game was controlled at that point and that the chance for greatness still survived
Catchable is irrelevant with defensive holding. Doesn't even require a pass to be thrown

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize taking a step was the official rule. He clearly turns to run with the ball - which is what I thought was his "move".

And sadly, I do watch way to little football during the year. I only got in about five Giants games - and never the entire games....
a third step is not required. Two feet and a football move is required. He really didn't do either IMO so it was the right call

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez, I don't know, I thoroughly enjoyed this years SB.

Attachments

• 5070CFFA-74F4-42EA-9A7A-83217D28A258.png
    5070CFFA-74F4-42EA-9A7A-83217D28A258.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 8

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a third step is not required. Two feet and a football move is required. He really didn't do either IMO so it was the right call

He turned to head up field, but apparently that wasn't deemed enough.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That play wasn’t as bad as the similar play in the Clemson Ohio st semi final a few years ago when the dude took like 4 steps after the catch and somehow was called incomplete

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... They've mad a lot of changes to keep the game more safe (I guess). This one seems odd to me - only because he clearly turned after the catch to head downfield.

(I guess I should stick to baseball)...

Football has always been my game and a catch is a catch and that was a catch .. until they redefined it more explicitly years ago. That particular rules definition was not for safety reasons and I've no idea why they came up with the "football move" part. I should probably research it.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have slammed the officiating in the NFL a lot and imo, it has been well deserved on many occasions. However, this SB game was very well officiated and I don't think we really have a legitimate beef with any of the calls mentioned. We can say the hold was a little ticky tack but it was the right call. I think they did a good job on the reviews of the 3 questionable catches. They overturned the Smith catch rightfully as he never fully had control when the ball hit the turf. The Goddert one was really so close that they had to stick with what was called in real time. And the non fumble was as the rule is written.
In comparison to the Seahawks/ Steelers SB XL, this was nothing. Even compared to some of the missed stuff just last year, this was far better. I'm all for bashing the leagues terrible officiating usually but in this instance, I have to dish out the well deserved praise for a job well done.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that thinks that was actually the right call?
I thought the Goedert catch should have been reversed.

I also thought the holding on the last drive was borderline. Not as obvious as a lot are saying. Letter of the law, sure, but don't show a still frame as you can do that on many, many plays and find a grab or push
Spot-on, spot-on, and spot-on.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders clearly caught the ball with both feet on the ground, turned to run, then got popped. Ball comes out, Bolton picks it up and runs it in for his second defensive TD of the game... I see people complaining about a stupid holding call, but this reversal takes the cake.

Yes, it clearly WAS a catch............ and then a fumble. It's beyond outlandish they reversed this. that scoop and score TD should have counted.

Officiating is getting worse by the year.

that holding call was on the weak side but was ok to be called. Eagles coach and defensive player are calling it legit.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catchable is irrelevant with defensive holding. Doesn't even require a pass to be thrown
Look how often D-tackles get called for holding on run plays. I think I have seen that more this year than in years past.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it clearly WAS a catch............ and then a fumble. It's beyond outlandish they reversed this. that scoop and score TD should have counted.

Officiating is getting worse by the year.

that holding call was on the weak side but was ok to be called. Eagles coach and defensive player are calling it legit.
Tell us you don't understand the catch rules of the NFL without telling us you don't understand the catch rules of the NFL. That was no where close to being a catch, it was one of the easiest calls in the entire game.