• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

World Series : Nationals vs Astros

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 102.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14bc432d58bfcd2693fb43fd44a9e98c_crop_north.

sleep easy tonight mack.....

Hope he doesn’t shit the bed......

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the replay of the first base call. Bad call, definitely. Runner headed straight for the bag and has a right to it. The defense should not be rewarded for what turned out to be an inside throw to first which the runner could not avoid. It’s common sense.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw the replay of the first base call. Bad call, definitely. Runner headed straight for the bag and has a right to it. The defense should not be rewarded for what turned out to be an inside throw to first which the runner could not avoid. It’s common sense.

Again, common sense should prevail. But, the rule is super janky and according to the letter of the law the runner was out.

The rule states you have to run in the running lane, but you may exit to tag the bag, and if you fail to do this and it prevents a play from being made you are ruled out.

Dumb rule is dumb, but maybe now it’ll be changed.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The call reminds me of the Tuck Rule.....
It's similar in a way, in that it only matters in a specific circumstance.

Like, legit 99% of the time, it doesn't matter where you are running in relation to the basepath on your way to first base. Then, on the 1% of the plays where it might matter, less than one in five actually matter, because most of the time, the throw is to the second base side of the bag and it's next to impossible for the runner to interfere.

So it happens so rarely that people who watch the game and don't know the specifics of the rule (or people who play the game and legit have never seen it happen) don't realize what's happening.

It will just wind up being a bizarre footnote in this game.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's similar in a way, in that it only matters in a specific circumstance.

Like, legit 99% of the time, it doesn't matter where you are running in relation to the basepath on your way to first base. Then, on the 1% of the plays where it might matter, less than one in five actually matter, because most of the time, the throw is to the second base side of the bag and it's next to impossible for the runner to interfere.

So it happens so rarely that people who watch the game and don't know the specifics of the rule (or people who play the game and legit have never seen it happen) don't realize what's happening.

It will just wind up being a bizarre footnote in this game.

This exact call went against my team when I was in high school. I thought the explanation was just a BS excuse by the ump to explain the call and cover for his mistake/bias. I went home and fact checked that night and realized that it was actually correct. Otherwise, I’d be right there with everyone else who assumed it was a terrible call

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typical MLB beauracracy. Torre must support the umps, right or wrong.
That’s his job. I don’t begrudge him that.

I just thought it was funny watching him squirm.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,914.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
didnt watch last nights game. but im glade it went 7 games. its good for sports when series does 7 games

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was the right call but a dumb rule:suds:

Baseball Rule 5.09(a)(11) states:

A batter is out when: In running the last half of the distance from home base to first base, while the ball is being fielded to first base, he runs outside (to the right of) the three-foot line, or inside (to the left of) the foul line, and in the umpire’s judgment in so doing interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base, in which case the ball is dead; except that he may run outside (to the right of) the three-foot line or inside (to the left of) the foul line to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home field advantage my ass.

Not sure I have ever seen a WS where the home team hasn't won a game.................weird.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 277,500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure I have ever seen a WS where the home team hasn't won a game.................weird.
I don't think it's ever happened in baseball, hockey, or basketball in a 7-game finals. Tonight may be historic

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,386,359.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why you planning a game seven?

That is why I was talking about a game 7. Lol.

Game 7 is going to be hard to call because who knows how far Max can go.

The astros better bring their bats and score some runs or they are going to regret it.

One big inning from either side could win it all!

Kace-1

Game of Thoops!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You haven't. This is the first instance in either MLB, the NBA, or NHL that this has happened. If the Astros win Game 7, it'll mark the first time one of these things has gone 1-6 home vs. road. If the Nationals win, it'll mark the first ever road sweep of a major sports 7-game series.

In my lifetime, I can remember 2 World Series in which there was a 7-game home sweep and both of those involved the Minnesota Twins winning it all, 1987 against the Cardinals and 1991 [note: fuck Hrbek] against the Braves.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this game set a record only twice before has the 1st 5 away teams won
1996 braves won in ny then yanks won in atl but yanks won game 6 at home

1906 games went back and forth for home field and cubs/white sox all won away for 1st 5 games and then sox won at home:suds: