• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woody Johnson wants to trade Revis?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
seems like a lot of potential drama.

I'd tend to Agree. This is one of the toughest calls I've seen in a long time. On one hand, the team is already great & doesn't need a lot of tinkering. They're young, and they're probably going to be contenders for a long time (which usually means stick with your draft picks & keep developing young, cheap talent).

On the other hand, if Revis came to SF and played as well as he's capable, that would probably be the best defense since the '02 Buccs & maybe since the '00 Ravens. That would be absurd! An all-pro' or near it at CB, OLB, DE, ILB & ILB... a probowl caliber player (IMO) at FS (if he's back) & DE (McDonald), and a very good starters at CB, SS, OLB (Brooks).

Add the fact that the Niners are a running team, and the defense probably wouldn't even have to be on the field very much, and that would be downriht scary.

Of course, when something seems too good to be true it usually is.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cancer can kill the healthiest of people.....

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freeman says we are interested. I wanna say he was the first to report we were interested in Peyton as well.

'Gold rush forming' for possible Darrelle Revis trade - CBSSports.com

Other teams highly interested, I'm told, are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay, though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Freeman says we are interested. I wanna say he was the first to report we were interested in Peyton as well.

Other teams highly interested, I'm told, are Denver, San Francisco, Buffalo (not happening -- division rival), and even Seattle, which already has some of the best defensive backs in the game. One team also constantly mentioned by league sources is Green Bay, though the Packers, possessors of one of the best front offices in all of sports, usually don't give up high-round picks.

No way I would give them a 1st AND 2nd for him.

I would go 1st and a 5th (maybe 4th) with some compensatory picks thrown in.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JLC was saying in the video on that article that he doesn't think they will get a first and second.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rogers has some huge cap hits in '14 and '15. Lets say we traded for Revis, I wonder if we cut Rogers loose this coming season or just after and use the space to get Revis re-signed.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Rogers has some huge cap hits in '14 and '15. Lets say we traded for Revis, I wonder if we cut Rogers loose this coming season or just after and use the space to get Revis re-signed.

We have Justin Smith coming off the books in 14 as well. Not to mention Alex Smith's money is going to be freed up too.

But I think Rodgers would be cut loose before 2014 as usually both the team and player know that they'll likely never see that money but they still want the additional years to jack up what they truly want and that's the guaranteed money.

We can afford him but it would take a lot of creative contract working to make it happen but we do have an outstanding front office when it comes to playing the salary cap game. I never expected to extend Bowman and we did so nothing would surprise me at this point.

With that said I still think the contract would be too hard to work out to make the deal work. I don't think the picks would be an issue because we're pretty young on offense and the has some needs but nothing super urgent except for maybe Safety.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to think if we made a move like this, it would make Goldson expendable?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Revis sign an agreement beforehand about NOT asking for a NEW contract every two weeks?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can Revis sign an agreement beforehand about NOT asking for a NEW contract every two weeks?

He can't SIGN the contract before being traded, but he can reach a verbal agreement with a team before being traded if the Jets give teams permission to talk to him (which it looks like they will).

I heard people on the radio talking about how stupid the Jets were for looking into trading him, and I wanted to go down there and confiscate their microphones. The Jets are like 30 million over the cap, and they're gonna be in re-building mode. And Revis will be a FA after this next season. These dorks on the radio simply don't understand the overall situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Jets would be insane not to trade him and get something if they have no plans or are not able to resign him.

If they can resign him then they would be insane not to even if they are in rebuilding mode because all it takes is two good drafts, the right coaching staff, and the right QB to be right in the thick of things.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Should be 31 teams interested, you shouldn't even be a GM in this league if you're not even going to test the waters for one of its best players when they come available. It should be like that Sports Illustrated cover with White and 92 in every jersey.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have to admit, this is a pretty excting prospect. And it actually wouldn't be all that expensive if the Niners got rid of Rogers (which they would have had to do after the 2013 season anyway IMO). The diference would only be like 3 or 4 million a season.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Best trade fits for Darrelle Revis
If the Jets decide to deal the NFL's top CB, who should be interested?
Originally Published: January 25, 2013
By Steve Palazzolo | Pro Football Focus

What does the market look like for Darrelle Revis, exactly?

The New York Jets' quest for relevance continues. After years of chest-thumping and a season of incompetent quarterback play in front of a declining roster, they're now back in the news as trade winds swirl around their top player, cornerback Darrelle Revis.

For those who have forgotten, Revis may be the most dominant defensive player in the league, even after a season that saw J.J. Watt, Geno Atkins and Von Miller rewrite the Pro Football Focus record book. It's all too often that a superstar player escapes the consciousness of NFL fans due to injury. Revis was lost for the season back in Week 3; so perhaps a refresher course is in order.

Revis is one of the top defensive players in the game, regardless of position. He exemplifies the phrase "shutdown corner," despite those words being thrown around on a near-weekly basis. He has his own Revis Island, where the top wide receivers in football see their gaudy numbers disappear in Bermuda Triangle-like fashion. Yes, Revis deserves every accolade thrown his way, even in a league where short-sighted hyperbole has become the norm.

A quick look at his history

2009: Revis Island is born as head coach Rex Ryan assigns him to the opponent's top wide receiver every week. He goes head-to-head with the likes of Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith and Roddy White, to name a few, yet he only allows 38 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed. He intercepts six passes while deflecting 24 more on his way to allowing an opposing QB Rating of 29.1.

2010: Injuries slowed Revis throughout the season, but he still manages to allow only 42 percent completions into his coverage with 13 passes defensed. His zero interceptions prompted some to declare this as a down season by his standards, but he still played at an elite level.

2011: Another superb effort that saw Revis allow only a 41 percent rate into his coverage, to go with his four interceptions and 16 passes defensed. He graded as PFF's top cornerback once again.

Now who needs a player like this? Of course, everyone does, but there are some complicating factors. First there's the ACL injury that cost him the 2012 season. Despite Adrian Peterson's miraculous 2012 season just nine months after reconstructive knee surgery, his recovery is an exception rather than the norm. Most ACL injuries tend to take year of recovery before a player can regain his prior form. Pre-injury Revis is the best in the league at mirroring receivers, and he is just as adept at turning and running with a receiver down the field as he is breaking on a pass in front of his face. It still remains to be seen if he can regain the movement skills that set him apart from other cornerbacks in the league.

But even if he returns in full form -- and for the purposes of the following discussion, let's assume he does -- only a few teams possess the financial flexibility and resources to make a trade happen. Take all that into account, and there are still a few potential landing spots. Here are the best:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Bucs are certainly not afraid to make a big splash with veteran signings, as they spent a lot of money to bring in guard Carl Nicks, WR Vincent Jackson and CB Eric Wright last offseason. Despite the big moves, they're still in good shape, with $31.3 million of cap space going into 2013. They've drafted some cornerstone defensive players in recent years in DT Gerald McCoy, LB Lavonte David and SS Mark Barron. A veteran presence like Revis could be a perfect addition for a cornerback corps that was saddled with injuries and ineffectiveness in 2012. This would likely mean an end to the Eric Wright Era, but it would ensure that they don't go into a season resting their hopes of slowing down Marques Colston, Roddy White and Julio Jones with E.J. Biggers and Leonard Johnson.

Atlanta Falcons
Another NFC South team that is not afraid to make bold moves, the Falcons traded a plethora of draft picks just to select WR Julio Jones in 2011. They were mere minutes from reaching the Super Bowl and may feel that the pieces are in place to take the next step.

The caveat here is the dangerous thought process that a team is "one player away" from a championship, which is rarely the case in the NFL. There is too much attrition during an NFL season to put so much stock in one player, and the Falcons' lack of draft picks due to the Jones trade puts them in a difficult position with regard to roster depth in the near future. Still, the aggressive front office may see a closing window of opportunity and the addition of Revis could mask some of the pass rush issues they're facing up front.

They currently have Asante Samuel entrenched on one side and despite his tackling woes (missed one of every 2.7 attempts), he's been strong in coverage, allowing a reception every 11.5 cover snaps, good for 19th in the league. On the other side is Dunta Robinson who allowed 1.55 Yards/Cover Snap, ninth worst out of the top 77 qualifying cornerbacks. With only $4.9 million of cap space, releasing Robinson would wipe his $8 million contract off the books to make room for Revis.

Indianapolis Colts
The Colts have a number of holes on their roster, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, and they have the cap room to do something about it. They enter the offseason $46 million under the limit, so a long-term deal with Revis is well within reach. The Colts spent nearly all of their 2012 draft picks on the offensive side, and while they built a strong nucleus around rookie QB Andrew Luck, now the defense needs a lot of attention. Bringing in Revis would allow them to allocate their resources toward must-needed upgrades to the front seven and ensure they can do something they weren't able to do this year: Shut down a team's wideouts. Cassius Vaughn, who was beaten for 40 combined first downs and touchdowns, needs to be upgraded.

Others to consider

Houston Texans
Cap space is tight in Houston, as they only have $12.9 million with which to work, but they currently use Johnathan Joseph to track opposing teams' top wide receivers, and he struggled at times throughout an injury-laden 2012. If they can find the necessary money, adding Revis to a cornerback corps that includes Joseph and an emerging Kareem Jackson would go a long way toward masking a pass rush that is too dependent on Watt's pressure up front.

Cleveland Browns
The Browns already have one of the league's best young cornerbacks in Joe Haden. Adding Revis would make for a nightmare for opposing offenses. They have $46.1 million in cap space and a young roster that would benefit greatly from Revis' veteran presence and production. But would Revis want to go to a team that seems a long way from being a contender? Money talks.

Cincinnati Bengals
Another team with the means to make the move, the Bengals got excellent production out of their cornerbacks last season. But with Adam Jones and Terence Newman slated for free agency, change is in the air. Leon Hall is a talent, and they'll want to see what they can get out of Dre Kirkpatrick, but in the modern game you really need three talented cornerbacks. Still, the Bengals have to think about long-term deals for Andre Smith and Geno Atkins, and that may take precedence over what a position of "want" and not "need."

Final Word

The Jets have an interesting dilemma on their hands.

They possess one of the most valuable commodities in the league -- but one whose value may be diminished by his recovery from injury and perceived steep contract demands. Still, if they can find a market for Revis, they have a chance to accelerate what looks to be a lengthy rebuilding process. Still, Revis is in the prime of his career, and giving up on such a talented player is the type of decision that could haunt an organization for years to come. Chances are they stick with Revis, especially considering his perfect fit in Ryan's defense. But if the right package is presented, don't be surprised if the Jets part with their franchise cornerstone. And the potential suitors above seem to make the most sense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would not want to see Revis go to the falcons.

I REALLY would not want to see him go to the Giants.

The teams that worry me the most going forward are The Giants, Seahawks, Saints & Packers. I'd add the Vikings, but Ponder isn't any good IMO. If the Vikings had a QB, I'd be worried about them.

Nobody in the AFC worries me all that much. Schaub is the same problem Ponder makes for the Vikings (same thing w/ Andy & the Bengals). The previously good teams are getting old. Maybe the Colts, but they're gonna need another year of buiding before they're SB contenders IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trade value of Revis, Cromartie
January, 27, 2013 9:46AM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

NewYork.com's Rich Cimini wrote Sunday that the New York Jets should be able to secure a pretty high price if they do indeed trade Darrelle Revis this offseason.

"I spoke to a personnel executive from another team and he said the Jets should be able to recoup at least a first-round pick for Revis," Cimini wrote, "Said the executive: 'I wouldn't be surprised if he merited a first-rounder and something else in the second year that was good, too.'

"Another executive said any deal probably would have to include a conditional pick in 2014, based on Revis' performance in 2013. That would protect both teams."

Cimini said he "wouldn't trade him unless I got a top-10 pick in return," and noted that the "Jets would get a third-round compensatory pick if Revis walks next year as a free agent."

What about another CB trade idea for the Jets?:

Rich Cimini
Sunday notes: Could Revis stay, Cro go?
"Instead of shopping Darrelle Revis, maybe the Jets should put fellow CB Antonio Cromartie on the trading block. Don't laugh, it's not such a far-fetched idea. There's a small segment of the organization that would rather trade Cromartie than Revis, according to a source. Let's think about this for a second: Cromartie's trade value never will be higher; he's coming off arguably his best year. A Cromartie trade would clear $8.2 million in cap room (only $2.5 million in dead money); a Revis trade would actually cost them cap room ($12 million in dead money, as opposed to his current cap charge of $9 million)."