• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woody Johnson wants to trade Revis?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regard to whether or not we have a good secondary already. The NFL has changed the rules of the game so dramatically, that a terrible secondary might actually be the best in the league. WR's are ALLOWED to push off on every play. Defenders can't knock the ball loose because they get flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver. Defenders have to adjust and HOPE they hit correctly.

Basically, the offense has every advantage PLUS the officials making interpretation calls.

In today's NFL, Ronnie Lott wouldn't be a HOFer. He'd be the most financially penalized player in the league.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Marc Lillibridge (NFL agent):

Revis' contract is easy to digest for any team. Only $15 mil over 4 years of cash value left.

There is no way he gets traded and doesn't get a new contract. It probably ends up adding a year to the deal and about $50 million.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So let me get this straight...

Revis will be a FA if he's on the Jets after the Superbowl? Is that what "void if on Jets" means?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Revis will be a FA if he's on the Jets after the Superbowl? Is that what "void if on Jets" means?

Maybe it means it's only one year if he's on the Jets after the Superbowl and no extension yet? But that's weird. If I sign you for 5 years and you play well, I'd want you for 5 years and I would keep you. But this seems like, if I keep you for the fourth season, then you're released. I think this is a clause that basically says "extend me or release me or trade me before this date." Right? But it seems like he'd want a say in that, rather than making it automatic. I need an explanation! :poundtable:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regard to whether or not we have a good secondary already. The NFL has changed the rules of the game so dramatically, that a terrible secondary might actually be the best in the league. WR's are ALLOWED to push off on every play. Defenders can't knock the ball loose because they get flagged for hitting a defenseless receiver. Defenders have to adjust and HOPE they hit correctly.

Basically, the offense has every advantage PLUS the officials making interpretation calls.

In today's NFL, Ronnie Lott wouldn't be a HOFer. He'd be the most financially penalized player in the league.

Great point I hate hoe it is. After every good D play I'm always waiting to cheer until I make sure there is no flag. It sucks.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

No, and yes. Here's the tweet pozz posted that you are referencing for everyone else.

Revis playing on a 1 year deal...14-16 void if on Jets after Super Bowl. Jets should trade him and get something in return

The key there is that 14-16 void. He wouldn't be a FA this year, he'd be a FA NEXT year if he's still on the Jets after the Super Bowl.

I believe this was the deal the Jets had to make in the summer to get him in camp. He agreed to end his hold-out if the Jets essentially guaranteed a new contract.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, and yes. Here's the tweet pozz posted that you are referencing for everyone else.

Revis playing on a 1 year deal...14-16 void if on Jets after Super Bowl. Jets should trade him and get something in return

The key there is that 14-16 void. He wouldn't be a FA this year, he'd be a FA NEXT year if he's still on the Jets after the Super Bowl.

I believe this was the deal the Jets had to make in the summer to get him in camp. He agreed to end his hold-out if the Jets essentially guaranteed a new contract.

So in other words, this is their version of Alex's April 1st date. But this sounds like the reverse - because if Alex is on the roster as of April 1st, we have to pay him. But in Revis' case, it sounds like if he's on the roster after the SB, he loses the 14-16 million that is void. But he gets to be a free agent. But if traded, he'd have the rest of the contract but not be a FA.

Sometimes FA to me means unemployed when I consider the chances of getting injured, but teams have that option anyway when they can cut the player. That's why its good for the player to have an out, I suppose if they think they can up their value or may want to leave afterwards. In a QB's case, leave if not starting.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Oh, after Superbowl 48.

For some reason I thought that meant Superbowl 47 because we're so close to it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's:

A) Best CB in NFL

Versus

B) (1) A very good CB + (2) 3-4 million dollars per year (difference between salaries) AND... say... (3) a very good starting center for 5 years.

I don't think the differencve between Rogers & Revis is as big as the difference between Goodwin & a blue-chip C (or WR mmaybe?) + 3-4 million dollars.

Sorry, but this post just sucks. Revis is the best player in the NFL at his position. A top-5 player in the entire league. We're not getting anyone even close to that at 32. And Rogers is already declining.

I'm trading our first in a heartbeat. If a prospects drops into the late twenties, we have enough ammo to trade up if need be.

Revis on this team would be unbelievable. It would instantly make this defense the unquestioned #1.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Would easily drop our 1st on him especially considering our 1st is almost a 2nd anyways.

Of course that's with doing due diligence on his knee and making sure there won't be any issues there.

Imagine how different the Atlanta game would be if we had Revis back there covering Jones instead of Brown.

Having a true lockdown corner combined with a premier pass rush would make this defense unreal.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter on SportsCenter on the possibilities they trade him:

"This is not going to be an easy deal for the Jets to pull off for a variety of reasons. They are already going to be $30M over the cap. Alot of people are saying $19-$20M over the cap, but in talking to teams around the league that keep these figures, they believe the Jets are going to be $30+M over the cap. To trade Revis would be an additional acceleration of another $3M, depriving the Jets of some of the flexibility they need."

"Plus, they're going to be looking for alot back in return for one of the premier CBs in the game. The problem is he's coming off a torn ACL and heading into the last year of his contract and he wants a huge, new, monstrous deal. There are alot of obstacles the Jets must overcome.

"If the Jets keep Revis for this year and he walks away the year after, they still would get a 3rd-round compensatory pick back. There's alot to overcome here. It doesn't mean a deal wouldn't get done, the Jets will look into it, but it's going to be a difficult deal to pull off for a variety of factors."

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"This is not going to be an easy deal for the Jets to pull off for a variety of reasons. They are already going to be $30M over the cap. Alot of people are saying $19-$20M over the cap, but in talking to teams around the league that keep these figures, they believe the Jets are going to be $30+M over the cap. To trade Revis would be an additional acceleration of another $3M, depriving the Jets of some of the flexibility they need."

"Plus, they're going to be looking for alot back in return for one of the premier CBs in the game. The problem is he's coming off a torn ACL and heading into the last year of his contract and he wants a huge, new, monstrous deal. There are alot of obstacles the Jets must overcome.

"If the Jets keep Revis for this year and he walks away the year after, they still would get a 3rd-round compensatory pick back. There's alot to overcome here. It doesn't mean a deal wouldn't get done, the Jets will look into it, but it's going to be a difficult deal to pull off for a variety of factors."

Wow the Jets are a mess right now

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No secondary is going to go all year without having bad games. But 'd be careful about Revis because he's cmoing off an ACL tear. He may not be the same dominant player.

I think he'll still be great, but he might not be the best in the game any more. CB is one of the hardest positions to dominate year in and year out.

That concerns me as well.

dreday

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Trade the 1st rounder n a heartbeat. It's like a 2nd rounder anyway. We just got torched & it was our best corner. If we can get Revis Island lets do it.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That concerns me as well.

It doesn't scare me not one bit. That's a gamble I would be willing to take on any day down when I look at the circumstances. The injury occurred very early in the year. But now he should be doing light jogging. I'm sure by camp he would be at near 100%. Peterson's injury happened very late in the year and bounced back to his old form, that made his situation/story remarkable. The amount of time it took to recover from a torn knee, is something short of a miracle. Revis on the other hand is far ahead in the game and he should be running full speed by April (during combine/draft time).

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow the Jets are a mess right now

The Jets are a mess every year. This won't change as long as their priority is winning the media war against the Giants in the NYC media. Which is ridiculous on the surface, since winning the SB generates more publicity than any silly signing the Jets have made in the last 40 years.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Peter King:

Jets would want a 1, at least, for Revis. He'd want franchise-QB money in this flat-cap era, coming off ACL surgery. Good luck with that.