• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woj: Cavs fire David Blatt

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs didnt try and compete like the Heat. They tried to get good young players that would eventually attract elite talent- like LeBron.

You ever hear of Kyrie Irving? Riley would trade the whole Heat roster for him without a 2nd thought.

We know there is only 1 reason Lebron went back to Cleveland.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially, the Cavs are in the same cap position the Lakers were in pretty much from about 1996 when they got Kobe and Shaq through about 2012 or so. They have a title contending core that is eating up the cap space and are left with only enough to make tweaks to the role players on the roster.

That's pretty much how it works when you put together a contending roster. It'll bite them in the ass as Lebron gets older, just like it did the Lakers when Kobe got older. The only question will be whether or not the Cavs have any titles to show for it.
Funny how he talked about the Lakers so bad when they started losing after '10 and now his team is basically following in the same footsteps....title-less at the moment.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the Cavs record the 4 years that Lebron was gone?
lost, lost, lost & more lost with exactly ZERO playoff appearances?? But, I'm just guessing. :D

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well like i siad- we have the exceptions- which all teams have

but Griffin has done a good job building some additional flexibility into the roster with the HAywood exception, and the fact that Varejao has a big time non-guaranteed contract that was similar to Haywoods...its probably not coincedence that he has lined the Cavs up to have one asset like that at the end of each year to keep their options open....

but- for the most part- you are right that getting the team together and clearing the cap space for LeBron- burned through the vast majority of the assets that they had acquired over a 4 year span.
Yea and we've seen how well your team does with their "options" that are supposed to help them get better. Where now does Wiggins play again? How about Anthony Bennett? That #1 pick sured turned out to be stellar, no? :dhd:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great !!!!!!!!!

You ???

That is a beautiful young LADy in your avi !!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been great! Thanks my friend. She sure is growing fast!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My honest opinion on the Blatt situation is that he was in the right place at the wrong time or the wrong place at the right time or something like that. :lol:

What I'm getting at is that at the time he was hired, it was a cool idea. Hire a guy with lots of international experience but no NBA experience to come in and work with a very young team that would be open to some different ideas. Coach and players would have time to learn, grow and figure out what works and what doesn't. If it didn't work, the core players were young enough to be able to bring in a different coach and possibly contend for a title. That's what Blatt was hired to do and it could have been really neat to watch happen.

Problem was, Lebron decided to return to Cleveland and the Cavs traded what was supposed to be one of their core young guys for a veteran all-star. That sent the expectations skyrocketing from maybe contending in 3-4 years to winning a title for "the Land" right now.

End of the day, it was unfair and sucks for Blatt because expectations changed in the most dramatic way possible before he had even coached his first practice. But it was pretty obvious that something wasn't right with the Cavs and it appears that the problem was a coach in over his head and a star player who didn't have the patience (understandably) to wait for him to learn.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs didnt try and compete like the Heat. They tried to get good young players that would eventually attract elite talent- like LeBron.

You ever hear of Kyrie Irving? Riley would trade the whole Heat roster for him without a 2nd thought.

He Derrick Rose's cousin?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My honest opinion on the Blatt situation is that he was in the right place at the wrong time or the wrong place at the right time or something like that. :lol:

What I'm getting at is that at the time he was hired, it was a cool idea. Hire a guy with lots of international experience but no NBA experience to come in and work with a very young team that would be open to some different ideas. Coach and players would have time to learn, grow and figure out what works and what doesn't. If it didn't work, the core players were young enough to be able to bring in a different coach and possibly contend for a title. That's what Blatt was hired to do and it could have been really neat to watch happen.

Problem was, Lebron decided to return to Cleveland and the Cavs traded what was supposed to be one of their core young guys for a veteran all-star. That sent the expectations skyrocketing from maybe contending in 3-4 years to winning a title for "the Land" right now.

End of the day, it was unfair and sucks for Blatt because expectations changed in the most dramatic way possible before he had even coached his first practice. But it was pretty obvious that something wasn't right with the Cavs and it appears that the problem was a coach in over his head and a star player who didn't have the patience (understandably) to wait for him to learn.
I agree. In fact I said last week that I blamed the coach for the Cavs not being able to win important games. But, how come they couldn't see this problem after they lost in the Finals and make a coaching change during the off season? Wouldn't that have been less distracting & fair to Blatt-considering your points about his expectations changing before he even started the job?

On another note, I hate the commentators for Cleveland. They make it nearly impossible to watch them when you're not a Cavs fan. :tsk:

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you guys took the 76ers route. Pathetic.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. In fact I said last week that I blamed the coach for the Cavs not being able to win important games. But, how come they couldn't see this problem after they lost in the Finals and make a coaching change during the off season? Wouldn't that have been less distracting & fair to Blatt-considering your points about his expectations changing before he even started the job?

On another note, I hate the commentators for Cleveland. They make it nearly impossible to watch them when you're not a Cavs fan. :tsk:

Yeah, I think the timing has a lot to do with the reaction. If it were done in the off-season, there still would have been some strong reaction because he was coming off of a finals appearance. But it would have been pretty well over by the time the season started. Plus, according to reports, there have been complaints and Lebron has wanted him gone since last year. So it's not as if Gilbert and Griffin didn't know there was an issue.

I agree about these announcers. I turned down the volume. They were giving me a headache.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just going to point this out

Pat Riley wouldn't have had his first head coaching job in LA if not for Magic demanding to be traded if then coach Paul Westhead wasn't fired. That worked out well for everyone not named Paul Westhead so it doesn't always end up badly

And had Miami listened to LeBron imo when they had the chance, and fired the gloried video coordinator Spoelstra, Miami would still have a competing team with LeBron right now.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodness, Minny was in a position to win tonight. Almost pulled it off.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he smart? I think he's been out-played by Ezeli all season so far. I feel like he doesn't hustle enough and he boarders on bad sportsmanship at times when he's been beat on a play in the paint.

C'mon man lol. Bogut is playing well still. He's outplayed most bigs in the league th last 3 years. It takes skill to defend and smarts to defend. If it were true that defense doesn't take skill I could defend people in the nba just because I'm athletic

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And had Miami listened to LeBron imo when they had the chance, and fired the gloried video coordinator Spoelstra, Miami would still have a competing team with LeBron right now.

Uh, they won 2 championships with the glorified video coordinator.