• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woj: Cavs fire David Blatt

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking about how Pop dgaf about the regular season and the Cavs apparently base how good their team is on it. Just highlights the difference between an organization with a history of winning and an organization that is desperate.

Pop's funny comment aside... Griffin actually specifically said it was seeing the locker room after wins that worried him the most. He fired Blatt after two wins. He repeatedly said that the team was always galvanized after losses but never after wins.

But, you know... whatever fits the whole narrative better, I guess.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the simple fact is- if the Cavs knew LeBron was coming back - Blatt would never have been hired.

Like Trojan said- if you had a young team and Blatt had a few years to grow and learn the game he would have been a very interesting out of the box hire.

When the situation changed from coming out of a rebuild- to win now - Blatt was in over his head. He relied on Lue. The players relied on Lue and it was just not going to work long term.

I don't think the list of coaches who actually have the goal to coach are going to be lining up
to work for Gilbert.
If they just want to get paid for a couple years after they are fired, then that's a different story.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop's funny comment aside... Griffin actually specifically said it was seeing the locker room after wins that worried him the most. He fired Blatt after two wins. He repeatedly said that the team was always galvanized after losses but never after wins.

But, you know... whatever fits the whole narrative better, I guess.

So do you think he would have been fired regardless of if the Cavs had won those games against the Spurs and Warriors? Due to the fact that the team wasn't "galvanized" enough after wins? Which honestly isn't a rare occurrence among teams who win a lot.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think he would have been fired regardless of if the Cavs had won those games against the Spurs and Warriors? Due to the fact that the team wasn't "galvanized" enough after wins? Which honestly isn't a rare occurrence among teams who win a lot.

No, I'm not going to say that the beatdown they took from the Warriors had nothing to do with the timing. I'm sure it had an effect on Griffin thinking seriously about what changes needed to happen.

The move definitely seemed to be more about chemistry and player-buy-in than it did about W-L results, though... evidenced by the fact that they were 30 - 11 and well out in 1st place in the conference.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm not going to say that the beatdown they took from the Warriors had nothing to do with the timing. I'm sure it had an effect on Griffin thinking seriously about what changes needed to happen.

The move definitely seemed to be more about chemistry and player-buy-in than it did about W-L results, though... evidenced by the fact that they were 30 - 11 and well out in 1st place in the conference.
the nail in the coffin was Blatts dumb comments on Wednesday

when he tried to play off the GSW loss as an anomaly and kept going back to the fact they were playing "pretty good"- it was totally 100% different than the message that LeBron was sending and obviously what Griffin was thinking.

Like i said- its not a coicedence Griffin used the language - "Our goal is not to be PRETTY GOOD".

I mean- its obvious to everyone that the Cavs had plenty to work on after the GSW game- but the coach is downplaying it and failing to acknowledge that and is making excuses? I thought that was very strange- as its usual for the coach to play up that kind of stuff to try and get the team focused. Griffin heard that and probably spit his coffee all over his keyboard and went right to Gilbert.

ITS WHY I COMMENTED ON IT THAT MORNING. I read those comments from Blatt and it left me seriously doubting that he knew what he was doing and was trying to cover his butt more than do what was good for the team at the time....

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Griffin did say he was just blown away by how dead the locker room was and how no one was even enjoying at all after a nice win against the Clippers....strange.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin did say he was just blown away by how dead the locker room was and how no one was even enjoying at all after a nice win against the Clippers....strange.

That must have been Blatts fault then, right?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That must have been Blatts fault then, right?
I was not in the locker room- but the guy who was in the locker room- Griffin- YES- did believe it was Blatt's fault- as he went on ad nauseum at his press conference.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did they drop confetti in a sign of unity after beating the T Wolves last night.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, clearly something wasn't right with the Cavs, but Griffin's comment that the team was galvanized after losses, but not after wins, seems more like an attempt to shift the narrative away from "Lebron fired the coach" to something more palatable.

The problem is, a team that wins a lot is supposed to be galvanized after a loss and most wins are supposed to be met with a collective ho-hum.

I remember seeing an interview with Magic about the Showtime Lakers where he said that those Lakers teams were more likely to be mad after a game they won if they felt they didn't play well enough. They also didn't really celebrate any regular season wins (except maybe the Celtics). After losses, however, they would be pissed and looking to take it out on the next team they played.

Griffin's comments basically come off as, Blatt was fired because the team didn't celebrate enough after wins.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the Cavs should raise a banner every time they win a home game. That way atleast they have something to show for another disappointing season.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The surprising thing is not that Blatt got fired, but that he lasted this long. He never had control of the team and never added any value to it. Being the third best team in the NBA is not good enough when you have LeBron on your roster.

Trouble is, I doubt Phil Jackson himself could get this crew over the hump. Golden State is too good and Irving/Love don't play enough defense to beat them.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The surprising thing is not that Blatt got fired, but that he lasted this long. He never had control of the team and never added any value to it. Being the third best team in the NBA is not good enough when you have LeBron on your roster.

Trouble is, I doubt Phil Jackson himself could get this crew over the hump. Golden State is too good and Irving/Love don't play enough defense to beat them.

No doubt.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, clearly something wasn't right with the Cavs, but Griffin's comment that the team was galvanized after losses, but not after wins, seems more like an attempt to shift the narrative away from "Lebron fired the coach" to something more palatable.

The problem is, a team that wins a lot is supposed to be galvanized after a loss and most wins are supposed to be met with a collective ho-hum.

I remember seeing an interview with Magic about the Showtime Lakers where he said that those Lakers teams were more likely to be mad after a game they won if they felt they didn't play well enough. They also didn't really celebrate any regular season wins (except maybe the Celtics). After losses, however, they would be pissed and looking to take it out on the next team they played.

Griffin's comments basically come off as, Blatt was fired because the team didn't celebrate enough after wins.
I think Griffin needs to worry about himself and quit worrying about the other team. When you are not part of another family, organization or whatever, it is easy to speculate about something you might know nothing about

Reactions: LAD

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Griffin needs to worry about himself and quit worrying about the other team. When you are not part of another family, organization or whatever, it is easy to speculate about something you might know nothing about

Uh, wtf are you talking about?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I'm over the Heat not being that great last season and this season. Not every team can be the Spurs. It's more satisfying to me that we got to milk Lebron for the best years in his career that netted us two additional titles. The butt hurt that you're referencing is more my disdain for you and the Cavs. I've never liked the Cavs, and Gilbert's little high school girl rant after Lebron left re-enforced my belief.

Riley's done a lot for the franchise. Part of the Heat's struggles is due to not having any perimeter shooting coupled with our team's unfortunate inability to stay healthy. It happens. Riley will retire when he's good and ready. But he's been responsible for 3 titles as well as some other deep playoff runs.

But where's your Riley at? Because last I checked "The Land" is still void of any titles.

it's true. you guys got LeBron in his absolute best and he's noticeably on the decline now. beats the hell outta the other way around...like his case in Cleveland...oops, "The Land"...