• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woj: Cavs fire David Blatt

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're half way through the season, I doubt it's Blatt's fault if the team is out of shape. It should be the professional athlete's responsibility to make sure they are in top condition.

Grown ass men, making millions of dollars taking responsibility?

:puzzled:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know whats worse the trade they made(love for Wiggins), resigning love or Blatt getting fired. 3 bad moves in a row.
There is a reason this franchise sucks.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Riley would only take him back if he had a team annual opt out clause, cause when he starts going downhill it will prob be a steep slope.
The Heat have not been stellar since Bron left.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well think of it- EVERYONe relied on Lue- i ncluding Blatt

Blatt didnt know how to call timeouts in the NBA game to conserve them with TV timeouts--- he relied on Lue

Blatt didnt know how to do rotations for a 48 minute game and for playing SO often- 2 very different things in Europe where you play LESS frequently for LESS minutes--- Blatt never DID get this one- and only played 8 guys a lot during the regular season-- and then when guys got hurt in the playoffs and they called on Marion and Miller- the dudes hadnt played in 4 months. He relied on Lue for that

the players relied on Lue to be fair and impartial to the stars on the team. The players relied on Lue to design and implement the defense. Kevin Love HATED Blatt because he didnt use him right- and Blatt didnt like Klove's game....

it just became so clear- that because Blatt didnt know how to coach a title contender when he came in- he relied on Lue- who played or coached under some of the all time legends of the game and actually kinda KNEW what he was doing.

That trend kept going and going- especially considering Blatt did a poor job of connecting and communicating with the team. He didnt know things like- when you cut a guys minuts to the bone that has been playing- typically- ESPECIALLY if he is a veteran- you tell the guy what your thinking is--in Europe? He was the Popovich of europe and just DID it without reprocussion.

As Trojan and me have said- Blatt was hired to do a different job- and they thought hed have 2-3 years to grow into an NBA coach. The day LeBron signed that all changed 100%. He was frightfully over matched to guide a team against hte best in the business as you could see by his poor play designs outta timeouts, his calling timeouts when the Cavs didnt have any, his horrible rotations that had zero predicability- Jason Lloyd saying hed have a easier time predicting the powerball numbers than Blatts rotations-- think the players like that? not knowing when they show up at the arena if they are gonna play 30 minutes or zero minutes ?

He was holding them back.

I'm not going to argue or debate whether or not it was a good or bad move, because the answer is indifference.

But to say a man who won all of the things that he won, certainly would know the basics of coaching plus a lot more.

Yes, he tried to call a timeout he didn't have vs the Bulls in the playoffs but that isn't the first time that has happened and certainly not a reason to be fired based on his W/L % (even though they have that same W/L% with anyone).

BOTTOM LINE.
Warriors have a better roster right now and so do the Spurs.
Upsets do happen, and the Cavs could win...but it WOULD be an upset.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat have not been stellar since Bron left.

Without a doubt.
But, what does that have to do with not wanting to be stuck with James and that type of contract moving forward?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, bring up a previous post of mine, it's basically championship or get fired then?

Do you not think if they had a healthy Love and Irving in last years finals they might have done significantly better?
YES! It is championship or get fired for Blatt. If not for the injuries , if the Cavs would have lost with a full roster he was gone at the end of last year. This year i saw no circumstance htat Blatt would come back unless they won it all- and to Griffin's credit- he didnt wait for that to happen before making a move.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to argue or debate whether or not it was a good or bad move, because the answer is indifference.

But to say a man who won all of the things that he won, certainly would know the basics of coaching plus a lot more.

Yes, he tried to call a timeout he didn't have vs the Bulls in the playoffs but that isn't the first time that has happened and certainly not a reason to be fired based on his W/L % (even though they have that same W/L% with anyone).

BOTTOM LINE.
Warriors have a better roster right now and so do the Spurs.
Upsets do happen, and the Cavs could win...but it WOULD be an upset.
i dont understand how the answer is "indifference"?

We shall see if it was the right move at the end of the year. We know they can lose in the championship with Blatt.....Lue has to win it- and the moves that he at least has said he is going ot make- are pure common sense moves that should make a difference that everyone has been calling for forever

1. Give Love the ball on the elbow- play him more with the 2nd unit. I mean- this is not drafting the arms treaty with Iran here.

2. Play up tempo- I mean you have Kyrie and LeBron. The Cavs the last 2 seasons- while top 5 in efficiency offensively - have been terrible in possessions per game. This makes no sense- and in particular it makes no sense in that GSW plays up tempo and the Cavs looked GASSED playing uptempo against Chicago and they ADMITTED they were not in shape to play an up tempo scheme. lol. Thats a joke. Playing more up tempo and the resulting getting in better game shape should have a real impact.

3. Where Blatt had a very hard time connecting with players- that is Ty Lue's speciality. He knows the NBA, he knows how to use timeouts!!! YES THATS IMPORTANT!, lol. He understands the importance of having a rotation and developing a bench. Not saying guys like Mike Miller or Shawn Marion or whoever at the back of the Cavs bench would have made a difference- but Blatt sure did them no favors by not playing them for months and then trying to play them in the Finals. You cant do that. Yo ucant play 8 guys in the regular season and expect them to stay healthy and thats what Blatt did last year. Ty Lue saying- we are playing 10 guys in a rotation- you can expect to usually get X minutes a night- and explaining it to guys- is just pure and simply competence. Its nothing special- but its more than Blatt could mange.

THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT SAYING YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A TEN MAN ROTATION, AND STICKING TO IT AND COMMUNICATING TO PLAYERS THEIR ROLES. Blatt did not do this in a year and a half. Lue over Blatt will make a difference.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe to be informed instead of spouting out your ass gibberish that just goes to show you are ill-informed.

As the great Mark Twain said- "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool- then open your mouth and prove it"

this really happened- I asked a guy how he can have an opinion while being so ill-informed- and he told me- im too lazy to get the real story- so ill just give my uneducated 2 sense with no knowledge of the details of the situation. unbelievable. This is why you never go pro-se.

It's ironic that you're trying to use this against someone.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's ironic that you're trying to use this against someone.
really? "against" the guy who right after expressing his point admitted he has purposefully not informed himself about the subject he is commenting on because he is (also admittedly) too lazy to do so?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cavs lose tonight they better fire Lue & bring back Blatt.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YES! It is championship or get fired for Blatt. If not for the injuries , if the Cavs would have lost with a full roster he was gone at the end of last year. This year i saw no circumstance htat Blatt would come back unless they won it all- and to Griffin's credit- he didnt wait for that to happen before making a move.

Ah yes because it's always been 'Championship or Bust' in Cleveland, right?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- in consecutive series in the playoffs last year Blatt:

1. Called a timeout in the waning seconds of the game when he had no timeouts that could have cost the Cavs the game- we would be watching it decades from now like Webber's timeout call if not for A. the refs not seeing and B. Ty Lue bear-hugging Blatt lol.

2. He tried to put Tristan Thompson back in the last 2 minutes of a 30 point game against the Hawks- when Kevin Love was already out for the postseason- and LeBron got up and told Tristan to sit down and he did. Why on earth Blatt would put Thompson into a 30 point game with 2 minutes left with that kind of front court depth is mind boggling.

I mean- as far as i am concerned- if they would have fired him for those 2 things after the Finals, how could you really argue?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue was basically the head coach anyway in all but name and - to his own credit- his best efforts not to step on Blatt's toes. Now Lue can actually implement his ideas- and so far I like the sound of them-

-playing more up pace (though the guys need to get in better shape- thanks Blatt!)

-giving Love the ball at the elbow where he has thrived before

-trying to bring the team together and build chemistry and camaraderie

-establish a 10 man rotation and stick to it so guys know what to expect

I think those 4 things will be vastly improved under a Lue regime when compared with under Blatt.
So if Lue has basically been the HC shouldn't he have to shoulder the blame as well as Blatt? Why fire one and hire the other?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There should be a natural learning curve under Lue if real changes are to be expected. Anyone who would just assume the Cavs would take off after Lue took over is just unrealistic.

If you assume the premise that Blatt held them back, then you also assume that an overhaul is needed. Slight tweaks to the game plan can be done game to game, but with limited practice time and generally heavy travel schedules, it's going to take some time.

The best news for the Cavs is that the All-star break comes with a 7 day lay-off with available practice time. That will really show if the Cavs are able to turn a corner.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? "against" the guy who right after expressing his point admitted he has purposefully not informed himself about the subject he is commenting on because he is (also admittedly) too lazy to do so?

I choose the term "not giving a fuck". I can post a personal preference, this is a forum after all. And what subject is this that we're talking about that you're referencing. Don't become a butt hurt Betty because your team is on the verge of meeting another gang r*pe in the Finals by the hands of the Spurs/Warriors. I'm sure the "Land" will get a title at some point that's not a participation trophy.....in 2080.

Last edited:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah yes because it's always been 'Championship or Bust' in Cleveland, right?
well for Blatt in particluar- like i have told you -he wasnt hired for that job- something you have failed to address even once. I think they felt they owed Blatt at least one shot---- but when he didnt do it- and had so much trouble in other areas- it was on to the guy who we think could do it better.

I appreciate that a lot more than riding a guy out and letting him fail just to cover your own ass. I respect Griffin put himself out there with this. I wish the Cavs would have fired Byron Scott earlier and got someone in here that knew what they were doing at that point.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3