• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woj: Cavs fire David Blatt

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players need to earn the respect of the coach, not the other way around.

Blatt was in charge for like what, 17 months? Made the NBA finals, coach of the month a few times and had the best record in the East in both the seasons he was in charge. Despite two of his best three players injured for significant periods of time.

And who cares if there was unrest in the locker room? It sure didn't show it on court. Both the Lakers and Bulls championship teams had periods where players and coaches didn't get along.

You want to know what the real problem is? LEBRON

When Kobe and Jordan didn't like how things were going on the team, they had it out with their team mates. Kobe had a long feud with Shaq and Jordan would even physically fight with teammates.
What does lebron do? Bitches and moans he doesn't have the right coach and forces the GM to persue players the team can't really afford.
The problem is that when the Warriors went into Cleveland and used the Cavs like they did it proved what we've been saying since last season. That this team, as constructed, cannot beat either of the top elite teams in a 7 game series. If they thought differently they would've kept the coach & made player changes such as trades by the deadline & or used the exceptions they have first. But by replacing the coach that demonstrates their desire to apply a new philosophy and try to get their existing guys to buy in. It's as simple as that.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you lose the locker room if you never had it.
The players followed James' lead since day 1.
Blatt was just going through the motions.
This isn't in hindsight.
It was obvious all along.

Also, the timing of the firing IMO came when they were pretty sure they would reel off 3 wins in a row. I'm not sure who they play after Phoenix.
The Bulls are no pushover but they were on the backend of a road back to back and double digit underdog.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that when the Warriors went into Cleveland and used the Cavs like they did it proved what we've been saying since last season. That this team, as constructed, cannot beat either of the top elite teams in a 7 game series.

No 1 regular season game - no matter the margin of victory - will ever prove that one team can't beat another in a 7 game series, imo.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No 1 regular season game - no matter the margin of victory - will ever prove that one team can't beat another in a 7 game series, imo.
seriously

i remember in '07 i thought the Cavs had a chance because they were 2-0 against the Spurs and LeBron had one of his most famous dunks ever posterizing Duncan.....

lol...boy did those games mean NOTHING.

even last season- when healthy for the 2nd regular season game against GSW the Cavs throttled the Warriors....if anyone thinks regular season games are a good indicator of post season performance they either are pushing their own agenda or do not pay attention to the league.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's true but isn't correct in the case of the Cavs.

They've played the Warriors twice this season and have lost. That makes 5 straight times they've played them and lost when you count the last 3 games in the Finals. They've played the Spurs once so far this season and have lost. So really, they've now played 3 regular season games against the two top teams that they're likely to meet if they make it to the Finals. That would make them 0-3 and on the verge of being swept if this were a series. I would say it's cause for concern, but not cause to panic & fire the coach like they did.

Maybe they challenge Blatt & Lue to work together more to right the ship before they make the decision to just fire him. Especially given they've made Lue to highest paid assistant in the league. If they had done that it would've at least appeared that they had some faith in Blatt.

The fact they didn't do that just leads us to believe they wanted the coach gone...and had some influences from their franchise player & possibly others who also didn't give Blatt a chance.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you lose the locker room if you never had it.
The players followed James' lead since day 1.
Blatt was just going through the motions.
This isn't in hindsight.
It was obvious all along.

Also, the timing of the firing IMO came when they were pretty sure they would reel off 3 wins in a row. I'm not sure who they play after Phoenix.
The Bulls are no pushover but they were on the backend of a road back to back and double digit underdog.
well think of it- EVERYONe relied on Lue- i ncluding Blatt

Blatt didnt know how to call timeouts in the NBA game to conserve them with TV timeouts--- he relied on Lue

Blatt didnt know how to do rotations for a 48 minute game and for playing SO often- 2 very different things in Europe where you play LESS frequently for LESS minutes--- Blatt never DID get this one- and only played 8 guys a lot during the regular season-- and then when guys got hurt in the playoffs and they called on Marion and Miller- the dudes hadnt played in 4 months. He relied on Lue for that

the players relied on Lue to be fair and impartial to the stars on the team. The players relied on Lue to design and implement the defense. Kevin Love HATED Blatt because he didnt use him right- and Blatt didnt like Klove's game....

it just became so clear- that because Blatt didnt know how to coach a title contender when he came in- he relied on Lue- who played or coached under some of the all time legends of the game and actually kinda KNEW what he was doing.

That trend kept going and going- especially considering Blatt did a poor job of connecting and communicating with the team. He didnt know things like- when you cut a guys minuts to the bone that has been playing- typically- ESPECIALLY if he is a veteran- you tell the guy what your thinking is--in Europe? He was the Popovich of europe and just DID it without reprocussion.

As Trojan and me have said- Blatt was hired to do a different job- and they thought hed have 2-3 years to grow into an NBA coach. The day LeBron signed that all changed 100%. He was frightfully over matched to guide a team against hte best in the business as you could see by his poor play designs outta timeouts, his calling timeouts when the Cavs didnt have any, his horrible rotations that had zero predicability- Jason Lloyd saying hed have a easier time predicting the powerball numbers than Blatts rotations-- think the players like that? not knowing when they show up at the arena if they are gonna play 30 minutes or zero minutes ?

He was holding them back.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haywood trade exception is good for all summer. They get a midlevel exception, they get veteran exceptions....VArejoa has "unguaranteed" money which is actually BETTER than a trade exception-

they have flexibility- not to make huge moves...but they definitely can make the type of roster moves they would have to do with a core of Bron, Irving, Love, Shump, Thompson, Mo, Jr, RJ

Lebron is unrestricted next season and will opt out without question. Do you really think he'll demand anything less than the $24m that he would have earned if he opted in? No doubt in my mind he's going for close to $30m.

In which case they don't have ANY flexibility in free agency.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron is unrestricted next season and will opt out without question. Do you really think he'll demand anything less than the $24m that he would have earned if he opted in? No doubt in my mind he's going for close to $30m.

In which case they don't have ANY flexibility in free agency.
they will have their mid level exceptin
they will have their veteran exceptions
they will have a LARGE trade exception from Haywood
they will have a small trade exception from Joe Harris
they will have the unguaranteed contract of Varejao.

Those are all avenues by which they can add to the team--- ones that dont even include a possible sign and trade of Mozgov, or trading smaller contracts like Mo Williams, or guys that are still under club control like Delly.

As i said- they have plenty of avenues to juggle around the core of the team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jadon Lloyd saying hed have a easier time predicting the powerball numbers than Blatts rotations-- think the players like that? not knowing when they show up at the arena if they are gonna play 30 minutes or zero minutes ?

He was holding them back.

In which case the players should step up their game and work harder to earn minutes. Simple as that. The same goes for any other job in the world. You don't just automatically get given minutes because you have the biggest dick!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In which case the players should step up their game and work harder to earn minutes. Simple as that. The same goes for any other job in the world. You don't just automatically get given minutes because you have the biggest dick!
again...im not sure you can read.

Its not about getting your minutes cut- its about the coach communicating with the players about his decisions and earning the players trust and respect- whether GOOD OR BAD for the players- and Blatt was beyond awful at all- as you would know if you read any of the dozens of articles that have been written the last few days.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will have their mid level exceptin
they will have their veteran exceptions
they will have a LARGE trade exception from Haywood
they will have a small trade exception from Joe Harris
they will have the unguaranteed contract of Varejao.

Those are all avenues by which they can add to the team--- ones that dont even include a possible sign and trade of Mozgov, or trading smaller contracts like Mo Williams, or guys that are still under club control like Delly.

As i said- they have plenty of avenues to juggle around the core of the team.

Out of every team in the league, they have the least to work with. It's just that simple. You can thank Gilbert and Lebron for that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of every team in the league, they have the least to work with. It's just that simple. You can thank Gilbert and Lebron for that.
they have LeBron, Love and Kyrie---- what exactly needs to be blown up here?

Not only that- but they have a bevvy of very solid players signed up already- in TT, Shumpert, Delly, Mo, Jefferson, club option JR, plus the Bird Rights....

what earth shattering moves does this team need to make that they couldnt make outside of the multiple moves that are well within their grasp that I described above?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again...im not sure you can read.

Its not about getting your minutes cut- its about the coach communicating with the players about his decisions and earning the players trust and respect- whether GOOD OR BAD for the players- and Blatt was beyond awful at all- as you would know if you read any of the dozens of articles that have been written the last few days.

Why the hell would I want to read dozens of articles about the Cavs. It's just common sense. Unless Blatt was sexually abusing the players in the locker room you don't fire the guy who was probably doing better than most people expected.

But go ahead, keep living in your perfect little dream world.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have LeBron, Love and Kyrie---- what exactly needs to be blown up here?

Not only that- but they have a bevvy of very solid players signed up already- in TT, Shumpert, Delly, Mo, Jefferson, club option JR, plus the Bird Rights....

what earth shattering moves does this team need to make that they couldnt make outside of the multiple moves that are well within their grasp that I described above?

I don't know, ask Lebron. He seems to have all the answers :rolleyes2:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell would I want to read dozens of articles about the Cavs. It's just common sense. Unless Blatt was sexually abusing the players in the locker room you don't fire the guy who was probably doing better than most people expected.

But go ahead, keep living in your perfect little dream world.
maybe to be informed instead of spouting out your ass gibberish that just goes to show you are ill-informed.

As the great Mark Twain said- "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool- then open your mouth and prove it"

this really happened- I asked a guy how he can have an opinion while being so ill-informed- and he told me- im too lazy to get the real story- so ill just give my uneducated 2 sense with no knowledge of the details of the situation. unbelievable. This is why you never go pro-se.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, ask Lebron. He seems to have all the answers :rolleyes2:
lol..i love it----

THEY CANT MAKE ANY MOVES!!!

---yes they can-- mid level exception, haywood trade exception, joe harris trade exception, varejao unguaranteed deal, delly and mo, etc....

WELL THEY CANT MAKE MAJOR MOVES!!!

what major moves do they need to make?

GO ASK LEBRON!!!

honestly....might want to check if their is a gas leak in your house

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe to be informed instead of spouting out your ass gibberish that just goes to show you are ill-informed.

As the great Mark Twain said- "It is better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are a fool- then open your mouth and prove it"

this really happened- I asked a guy how he can have an opinion while being so ill-informed- and he told me- im too lazy to get the real story- so ill just give my uneducated 2 sense with no knowledge of the details of the situation. unbelievable. This is why you never go pro-se.

Ok, answer me this then: What is a head coaches job? And was Blatt doing that job or not?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seriously

i remember in '07 i thought the Cavs had a chance because they were 2-0 against the Spurs and LeBron had one of his most famous dunks ever posterizing Duncan.....

lol...boy did those games mean NOTHING.

even last season- when healthy for the 2nd regular season game against GSW the Cavs throttled the Warriors....if anyone thinks regular season games are a good indicator of post season performance they either are pushing their own agenda or do not pay attention to the league.

I generally agree with that sentiment. The Lakers lost both regular season games to the Magic in 2008-2009 yet had little trouble beating them in the Finals. However, the Lakers never lost confidence in themselves.

The Cavs basically admitted that they were significantly deflated after the recent beat down from the Warriors. Combine that with losing on Christmas and losing in last year's Finals, it's clear that the Warriors at least have a huge mental edge on the Cavs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol..i love it----

THEY CANT MAKE ANY MOVES!!!

---yes they can-- mid level exception, haywood trade exception, joe harris trade exception, varejao unguaranteed deal, delly and mo, etc....

WELL THEY CANT MAKE MAJOR MOVES!!!

what major moves do they need to make?

GO ASK LEBRON!!!

honestly....might want to check if their is a gas leak in your house

FREE AGENCY MOVES, smart ass. Almost every team has trade exceptions. And not a single one of those exceptions will land you a game changer.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So knowing what we know from inside sources, how in the world did Blatt qualify for the job, even before Lue? I mean I get he has experience coaching in Euro leagues, but Lue has been an assistant in the league under top coaches for plenty of time that would qualify him for a HC job.