• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woj: Cavs fire David Blatt

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, answer me this then: What is a head coaches job? And was Blatt doing that job or not?
it depends on the situation-

you think Brent Brown's job is to win? or to develop players?

you think David Blatt's job was to win the East or win the championship?

-the last straw for David Blatt was his dumb comments the day after the Golden State game where he said that the team was "pretty good" and in good shape. It is no coincidence that at his press conference- David Griffin used that same exact language and said the goal is not to be "pretty good".

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FREE AGENCY MOVES, smart ass. Almost every team has trade exceptions. And not a single one of those exceptions will land you a game changer.
well as YOU can testify better than most- having cap space does not guarantee you a game changer either!! LOL

unless you think Lou Williams is one. lol.....

Cavs dont need a high paid game changer anyway- they just need to develop and come to gether as a team. and Blatt couldnt do that.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I generally agree with that sentiment. The Lakers lost both regular season games to the Magic in 2008-2009 yet had little trouble beating them in the Finals. However, the Lakers never lost confidence in themselves.

The Cavs basically admitted that they were significantly deflated after the recent beat down from the Warriors. Combine that with losing on Christmas and losing in last year's Finals, it's clear that the Warriors at least have a huge mental edge on the Cavs.
they admitted that they were majorly deflated AFTER beating the Clippers by double digits....the locker room was like they lost by 20... something had to change.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it depends on the situation-

you think Brent Brown's job is to win? or to develop players?

you think David Blatt's job was to win the East or win the championship?

-the last straw for David Blatt was his dumb comments the day after the Golden State game where he said that the team was "pretty good" and in good shape. It is no coincidence that at his press conference- David Griffin used that same exact language and said the goal is not to be "pretty good".

And you don't think Blatt deserved more than 17 months? Or are you guys planning to fire every single coach who fails to win a championship immediately?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs dont need a high paid game changer anyway- they just need to develop and come to gether as a team. and Blatt couldnt do that.

They couldn't if they wanted to. Gilbert gave everyone who raised their hands $100m contracts last year :crazy:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they admitted that they were majorly deflated AFTER beating the Clippers by double digits....the locker room was like they lost by 20... something had to change.

They were deflated after the beat down by the Warriors. Lue said as much. It's a weird thing to admit to an opponent that you potentially may face in the Finals.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you don't think Blatt deserved more than 17 months? Or are you guys planning to fire every single coach who fails to win a championship immediately?
well tell me your opinion- honestly this is a very tough question and i really dont know what i would have done if i was griffin.

Blatt was hired before LeBron came back. Blatt was hired to coach Irving, Wiggins, Thompson, etc- and a ton of draft picks and cap space.

About a month later LeBron signs. When before- Blatt would have had 2-3 years to grow before really having his feet put to the fire in a possible playoff series or two- he would have been able to learn the game with relatively low pressure.

If your Griffin, what do you do? Should you have told Blatt- sorry David- your fired- we hired you to coach us through a rebuilding project -- and all of a sudden we have the highest expectations in the league, 3 big ego's (in love, lebron, irving), and you have no clue what the NBA game is about since you have never coached or played in the NBA?----

Instead- to support Griffin, they hired one of the bright up and coming assistant coaches in the NBA- in fact- the guy that was the RUNNER up to Blatt to get the job- LUE----and made him the highest paid assistant coach in league history.

right away- the players and other coaches and Griffin IMMEDIATELY saw that not only did the PLAYERS rely on Lue- but Blatt did as well because he didnt know what he was doing in the NBA. Not only that- but Blatt didnt know how to relate to NBA players which just so happens to be Lue's strong suit- and this is just not LeBron by any means- this is the whole locker room.

So what would you have done? You hire a coach to be the guide for a rebuild- you like his potential but know hes a couple years from being able to really manage a playoff run---- and then all of a sudden he is in the highest pressure job in the league and expected to win right away....

what would you have done?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well tell me your opinion- honestly this is a very tough question and i really dont know what i would have done if i was griffin.

Blatt was hired before LeBron came back. Blatt was hired to coach Irving, Wiggins, Thompson, etc- and a ton of draft picks and cap space.

About a month later LeBron signs. When before- Blatt would have had 2-3 years to grow before really having his feet put to the fire in a possible playoff series or two- he would have been able to learn the game with relatively low pressure.

If your Griffin, what do you do? Should you have told Blatt- sorry David- your fired- we hired you to coach us through a rebuilding project -- and all of a sudden we have the highest expectations in the league, 3 big ego's (in love, lebron, irving), and you have no clue what the NBA game is about since you have never coached or played in the NBA?----

Instead- to support Griffin, they hired one of the bright up and coming assistant coaches in the NBA- in fact- the guy that was the RUNNER up to Blatt to get the job- LUE----

right away- the players and other coaches and Griffin IMMEDIATELY saw that not only did the PLAYERS rely on Lue- but Blatt did as well because he didnt know what he was doing in the NBA. Not only that- but Blatt didnt know how to relate to NBA players which just so happens to be Lue's strong suit- and this is just not LeBron by any means- this is the whole locker room.

So what would you have done? You hire a coach to be the guide for a rebuild- you like his potential but know hes a couple years from being able to really manage a playoff run---- and then all of a sudden he is in the highest pressure job in the league and expected to win right away....

What would I have done? Probably given the guy who gave us the best record in the conference and made it to the NBA finals in his first year more than 17 months before firing him.

And you really think Lue is an improvement? :pound:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read post 687 if you can spare the time. It will probably take you about 5 minutes and is a synopsis of about 5-6 articles citing the important parts.

If you still think that Blatt was the guy to lead the Cavs to a title than we will have to agree to disagree.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would I have done? Probably given the guy who gave us the best record in the conference and made it to the NBA finals in his first year more than 17 months before firing him.

Lue was basically the head coach anyway in all but name and - to his own credit- his best efforts not to step on Blatt's toes. Now Lue can actually implement his ideas- and so far I like the sound of them-

-playing more up pace (though the guys need to get in better shape- thanks Blatt!)

-giving Love the ball at the elbow where he has thrived before

-trying to bring the team together and build chemistry and camaraderie

-establish a 10 man rotation and stick to it so guys know what to expect

I think those 4 things will be vastly improved under a Lue regime when compared with under Blatt.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and i mean- i guess you think it was going to work this year when it didnt work last year having a guy coaching that never coached or played in the NBA and was simply not adjusting. The Cavs GM obviously did not think so.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
read post 687 if you can spare the time. It will probably take you about 5 minutes and is a synopsis of about 5-6 articles citing the important parts.

If you still think that Blatt was the guy to lead the Cavs to a title than we will have to agree to disagree.

You don't seem to get it. Blatt was getting the results. Who cares if he didn't get everyone's to kiss and cuddle up in the locker room. He got wins - that's all that matters. You can't tell me he wasn't doing his job!!!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't seem to get it. Blatt was getting the results. Who cares if he didn't get everyone's to kiss and cuddle up in the locker room. He got wins - that's all that matters. You can't tell me he wasn't doing his job!!!
you do not seem to get it. He was not getting the results. 1st in the East is not the Cavs goal. Winning the championship is their goal- and if you think he was doing a great job of that after watching how they played GSW and SAS you must have been in a partial drowning accident as a child.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever you do though- dont read anything and actually try and formulate an informed opinion...its just not your style.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well as YOU can testify better than most- having cap space does not guarantee you a game changer either!! LOL

unless you think Lou Williams is one. lol.....

So now it's all Blatt's fault? So are you telling us that nobody caught this during ANY part of last season? Did Blatt suddenly become unprepared when this season started? Lets remember, according to you the Cavs were the best team in the league with that unstoppable BIG 3.

The excuses that follow each let down from this team are starting to make it look like nobody in that franchise knows what they're doing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you do not seem to get it. He was not getting the results. 1st in the East is not the Cavs goal. Winning the championship is their goal- and if you think he was doing a great job of that after watching how they played GSW and SAS you must have been in a partial drowning accident as a child.

Again, bring up a previous post of mine, it's basically championship or get fired then?

Do you not think if they had a healthy Love and Irving in last years finals they might have done significantly better?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue was basically the head coach anyway in all but name and - to his own credit- his best efforts not to step on Blatt's toes. Now Lue can actually implement his ideas- and so far I like the sound of them-

-playing more up pace (though the guys need to get in better shape- thanks Blatt!)

-giving Love the ball at the elbow where he has thrived before

-trying to bring the team together and build chemistry and camaraderie

-establish a 10 man rotation and stick to it so guys know what to expect

I think those 4 things will be vastly improved under a Lue regime when compared with under Blatt.

We're half way through the season, I doubt it's Blatt's fault if the team is out of shape. It should be the professional athlete's responsibility to make sure they are in top condition.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever you do though- dont read anything and actually try and formulate an informed opinion...its just not your style.

Its not opinion, It's common sense, darling.

You wouldn't get it!

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Instead- to support Griffin, they hired one of the bright up and coming assistant coaches in the NBA- in fact- the guy that was the RUNNER up to Blatt to get the job- LUE----and made him the highest paid assistant coach in league history.

Well, maybe just maybe they ease up on making snap decisions. Tell me, what was the rush to hire a coach before you even finish getting the roster together? If your team is trying to get LBJ to come back home (and don't bother to tell me that they didn't know because they knew he was a FA and knew they wanted him back & further more knew that was their opportunity to make a run at him) then why would they hire a coach first?

Whose dumb idea was that? And who was the dummy that cosigned that brilliant idea? It wasn't like Blatt had all sorts of great offers lined up & they needed to make a rush decision in order to not lose him. It's not like he was known as a "great" coach & they were in danger of another team snagging him from under their noses.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're half way through the season, I doubt it's Blatt's fault if the team is out of shape. It should be the professional athlete's responsibility to make sure they are in top condition.
Doesn't LBJ have a commercial showing his "regular" workout based on his want to win one for the "Land"? LOL