• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Woj: Cavs fire David Blatt

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say re-signing him was the worst move. When they initially made the trade, I think most agreed that it was a great move. Love was going to open the middle for Lebron and Kyrie. However, despite it becoming pretty obvious that having Love wasn't going to work on any kind of consistent basis, they re-signed him anyway.

That re-signing almost felt like it was more about refusing to acknowledge that the trade shouldn't have been made than it was about keeping him. Which makes me think that @Jakology might be onto something re: the Cavs trying to move him at the all-star break.
it will be tough to trade him with that contract. U won't get much in return.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will be tough to trade him with that contract. U won't get much in return.

Yeah, that's going to be tough. Plus, if I understand the rules correctly, they have to take back close to the amount of salary they are moving. That seems like it would be a lot tougher to make happen in an all star break trade than an off season trade.

I think that jakology is likely right in that the Cavs will likely try to move him at the all-star break, but they may have to wait until the off season to actually get something done.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, how did this thread get 664 replies? What's the TL;DR version?

Cavs fire coach with best record in the East.

People say LeBron is a coach killer and has been the GM for the Cavs for over a year now.

Cavs fans say everyone is just hating. The end.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is that? The 6-7th coach to come out and bash the Cavs? Can't think of another firing in recent history so unanimously questioned. Not even Wiggy thought Blatt would be out the door at the half way point.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches being discouraged by the firing of coaches is not new or surprising.

Whenever it's a coach with a very good record they get especially upset and vocal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches being discouraged by the firing of coaches is not new or surprising.

Whenever it's a coach with a very good record they get especially upset and vocal.

So the firing of Blatt makes sense to you? In his first year he makes the NBA Finals, and halfway through his second he has the best record in his conference and he get fired?!?

Damn right every coach is going to get vocal!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the firing of Blatt makes sense to you? In his first year he makes the NBA Finals, and halfway through his second he has the best record in his conference and he get fired?!?

Damn right every coach is going to get vocal!

Now, I didn't say that. I was shocked by it and I am concerned somewhat. I hope its the right move but I really am not sure.

I feel bad for Blatt. Its pretty rough to have those kind of results and get fired from your job. Its a business though and at least his contract is guaranteed. Coaches that perform well and then get fired seemingly unfairly tend to do just fine getting other gigs. (Bob Hill might be an exception).

My point was just that coaches being critical of a coaches firing doesn't seem very meaningful to me.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was just that coaches being critical of a coaches firing doesn't seem very meaningful to me.

Coaches don't often speak out to this degree over a firing though. If they speak to it at all, it's usually a generic "It's a business, we all understand that," "Coaches are hired to be fired" or "Well, management felt it was best for their team." It would be unwise to directly criticize a team because the team you criticize today, could be the one you're interviewing with tomorrow.

I can't remember a firing where coaches were actually this openly critical. But then, I don't think we've ever seen a coach fired when he is coming off of a finals appearance and has the best record in his conference. It's like the Cavs are blaming him for the injuries to Love and Kyrie.

Last year, they lose Kevin Love in the first round of the playoffs. They still get to the finals. Then they lose Kyrie in first game of the finals and still manage to make it a competitive series. Kyrie doesn't return until what? 2 months into the season? He still isn't playing full minutes and the Cavs still have the best record in the East. The coach deserves to be fired? Kind of mind boggling, imo.

Do you think that if everything was the same except that the injuries don't happen and the Cavs won the title last year, that Blatt would still have his job?

Also, the criticism from coaches could very well be meaningful if the Cavs are looking to hire a new coach in the future and can't seem to get any interest from the better coaches.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the criticism from coaches could very well be meaningful if the Cavs are looking to hire a new coach in the future and can't seem to get any interest from the better coaches.

Would love to see the wanted ads for that job:

"NBA coach wanted. Must win championship in the first year or get fired. Low pay - we give most of our money to lebrons agency"

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will he coach AND play at the same time?

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not surprising the Spoelstra spoke up on the matter... if he hadn't had Pat Riley in his corner, he might have found himself out of a job in Miami during his second season, too.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches don't often speak out to this degree over a firing though. If they speak to it at all, it's usually a generic "It's a business, we all understand that," "Coaches are hired to be fired" or "Well, management felt it was best for their team." It would be unwise to directly criticize a team because the team you criticize today, could be the one you're interviewing with tomorrow.

I don't know they were pretty critical when it was McHale, Thibodeau, Scott Brooks, Marc Jackson, Del *****, SVG, etc, etc.

Popovich and Carlisle - in particular - are known for criticizing the firings of coaches (Which is ironic since they both replaced two of the winningest coaches to ever be fired... Bob Hill and Avery Johnson)

Here's just a few from a quick google search:

Carlisle on McHale's firing:
"It's preposterous," he said. "It's beyond belief. I'm really shocked. It's just hard to believe that something could happen at this stage to a guy who took a team unexpectedly to the conference finals last year. To have this happen after just 11 games is just preposterous. Nobody expects this. It's very disappointing to hear.

Popovich on Avery Johnson's firing:
Of course, many of us were surprised to see what happened. From my perspective, Avery’s not a good coach, he’s a very good coach. He’s a hell of a coach. He’s proven that. There aren’t too many of us out there who have ever won 67 games in a season. He’s taken a team to the Finals. If my memory serves me correct, he was Coach of the Month. It sort of shows what a fickle, volatile business we’re in. We’ve seen it before, but I can’t help but think that sometimes a little patience can go a long way. Mike Krzyzewski, arguably our best coach we have in basketball today, things didn’t go very well in the beginning. But he had an (athletic director) who was smart enough to know what he had and he exhibited a lot of patience, so now you see where Coach K is

Brad Stavens on McHale's firing:
"I don’t agree with the [it]. I think that Kevin is a great coach. Kevin has been great to me. Kevin is obviously a great Celtic. People love him everywhere they’ve been. Everybody that you hear from loves working with him, loves being around him. To me — from the outside looking in — it looks like, 11 games in, making a rash decision.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not surprising the Spoelstra spoke up on the matter... if he hadn't had Pat Riley in his corner, he might have found himself out of a job in Miami during his second season, too.

Miami doesn't press the panic button as Cleveland typically does. The difference between a great organization and a shitty one