• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WK 1 @ NE

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...one thing we kinda thought might happen has happened...finally.

Steelers trade Dobbs to Jaguars
Finally found a partner... I had a feeling they were still shopping. Dropping Skipper & signing Holton was clear evidence of that. They had no intention of riding with 5 WRs this season. Sometimes the blue car has to go before the red car before the green car can go, so-to-speak.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally found a partner... I had a feeling they were still shopping. Dropping Skipper & signing Holton was clear evidence of that. They had no intention of riding with 5 WRs this season. Sometimes the blue car has to go before the red car before the green car can go, so-to-speak.

Yep...I thought they might try to swing something for a TE...but I would suspect they will try to get Skipper back on the PS at the very least and bring back Hodges as the developmental guy.

Holton move I thought was more ST related...but who knows...Holton played 8 snaps on OFC targeted twice and 10 snaps on STs.

In a game that ugly it's hard to find any positives...getting a 5th for Dobbs maybe be it for the week!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...I thought they might try to swing something for a TE...but I would suspect they will try to get Skipper back on the PS at the very least and bring back Hodges as the developmental guy.

Holton move I thought was more ST related...but who knows...Holton played 8 snaps on OFC targeted twice and 10 snaps on STs.

In a game that ugly it's hard to find any positives...getting a 5th for Dobbs maybe be it for the week!
I think they should bring back Hodges immediately. And I really hope they try to find themselves a safety to bolster the back end. Edmunds, Davis & Kelly aren't the answer. Edmunds is clearly a big swing & miss. No excuses for how poorly he played last night. Out of position on nearly every play. Davis has good athleticism & plays well enough in space, but lacks the man-coverage ability. He's a workable piece for now though if he can stay healthy. Kelly, I can only hope that with more experience things get better from here.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should bring back Hodges immediately. And I really hope they try to find themselves a safety to bolster the back end. Edmunds, Davis & Kelly aren't the answer. Edmunds is clearly a big swing & miss. No excuses for how poorly he played last night. Out of position on nearly every play. Davis has good athleticism & plays well enough in space, but lacks the man-coverage ability. He's a workable piece for now though if he can stay healthy. Kelly, I can only hope that with more experience things get better from here.

Everything you're saying is right, but I've got to hope that its week 1 gitters for Kelly, (as you said no excuse for Edmunds)...If the OFC did anything in this game, we're in here accepting a 6 to 10 point loss and we're over it by Tues or Wed....you get 3 pts, and none by the OFC, you feel a little different. It was THAT bad, but with 15 more to go, I can't dwell on it too much....one thing I do kinda feel...if PIT faces NE again this season, it will be in Foxborough again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything you're saying is right, but I've got to hope that its week 1 gitters for Kelly, (as you said no excuse for Edmunds)...If the OFC did anything in this game, we're in here accepting a 6 to 10 point loss and we're over it by Tues or Wed....you get 3 pts, and none by the OFC, you feel a little different. It was THAT bad, but with 15 more to go, I can't dwell on it too much....one thing I do kinda feel...if PIT faces NE again this season, it will be in Foxborough again.
I'm trying not to dwell on it. I'm having an internal struggle with the heart & brain like always... My brain tells me before the game to expect the shame of defeat knowing full well what Tomlin brings to the table in these early games, but my heart buys into the hype every year.

Like I've said in other posts... I know they'll resurrect the season in short order. But I also know to expect more than just 1 rock-bottom type game. It's rare for Tomlin to let the ship sink too far into deep waters, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin sets a new career low this season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying not to dwell on it. I'm having an internal struggle with the heart & brain like always... My brain tells me before the game to expect the shame of defeat knowing full well what Tomlin brings to the table in these early games, but my heart buys into the hype every year.

Like I've said in other posts... I know they'll resurrect the season in short order. But I also know to expect more than just 1 rock-bottom type game. It's rare for Tomlin to let the ship sink too far into deep waters, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin sets a new career low this season.

As I said earlier, there are some things to watch for going forward...Bush was particularly targeted with that FB/HB back field and the play fake off the run heavy look got him a couple of times at least...look for that from other teams that carry a FB or a lead blocker.

That only comes from experience with reps in real games.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I know they'll get back into WC contention, like they do every year. Wouldn't be surprised if they went on a tear neither. But it's all for naught when the road goes through Foxborough every year. They can claw & fight their way to a divisional round matchup, but the same results will always ensue. Last year's fluke won't happen again.

Side note... The Steelers safeties were absolutely putrid last night. Edmunds was supposed to breakout this year, but all I saw was a kid way in over his head & out of position every play. And so much for all the Kelly hype. If he's the best of the rest behind Davis, then my god there's a serious talent depletion on the back end. Is Eric Berry still available?

Or JAX at Heinz Field, where Tomlin is 0-2 vs them in the playoffs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here we go...sprained AC joint sounds like a couple of weeks out...Burns steps in.

SEA OFC looked pretty mundane at home...only 12 1st downs...that might mean 25 or so this week, but we shall see.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New season
New roster
Same Mike Tomlin coached team

Just found a way to reach a new low. Never thought it would have been that bad. Kept running over an over on 3rd and 1 and either failing to achieve the yard or losing yards. Vince Williams covering WR's is not a good thing. Agree that the safety play was awful.

Starting to worry about this SEA game. Really need a win here. This team will drop a few games to teams with bad records as they always do so they have to beat some decent teams starting this Sunday. Expected the team to be 0-1 but not like that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New season
New roster
Same Mike Tomlin coached team

Just found a way to reach a new low. Never thought it would have been that bad. Kept running over an over on 3rd and 1 and either failing to achieve the yard or losing yards. Vince Williams covering WR's is not a good thing. Agree that the safety play was awful.

Starting to worry about this SEA game. Really need a win here. This team will drop a few games to teams with bad records as they always do so they have to beat some decent teams starting this Sunday. Expected the team to be 0-1 but not like that.

Honestly, I'm not surprised they gave up 33...I was projecting 24-30, but to only score 3 was startling. NE might be improved on DEF, but they're not THAT good. Agreed...SEA is and always was going to be a huge game. The margin of this loss just adds something to it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go...sprained AC joint sounds like a couple of weeks out...Burns steps in.

SEA OFC looked pretty mundane at home...only 12 1st downs...that might mean 25 or so this week, but we shall see.
I'm preparing myself for any one of Tomlin's

"categorized as week to week"
"leave the light on"
"we'll let availability in practice be our guide"

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Mike Hilton referenced COMMUNICATION as an issue with the defense.

"Especially when they uptempo-ed us, we kind of looked a little shook and kind of lost out there"

EVERY..... FUCKING..... SEASON.... we have to hear this bullshit. Same exact response, and damn near the exact same wording too.

@Superbelt @ATL96Steeler @Ojb81

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Especially when they uptempo-ed us, we kind of looked a little shook and kind of lost out there"

EVERY..... FUCKING..... SEASON.... we have to hear this bullshit. Same exact response, and damn near the exact same wording too.

Where's our Defensive Quarterback?

It shouldn't be Watt. I don't see Edmunds or Davis doing it, either.

Can it be Bush? Is he smart enough to do it?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's our Defensive Quarterback?

It shouldn't be Watt. I don't see Edmunds or Davis doing it, either.

Can it be Bush? Is he smart enough to do it?
Didn't we have this green dot discussion a lot over the offseason? lol

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys have been playing together for 2-3 seasons now.... Communication should not be an issue when you are that familiar with your teammates & scheme. This is on the coaches & film prep. Poor coaching makes it so they aren't able to formulate a better plan for communication in film study leading up to the game. Or Butler's calls are coming in so late that they can't keep up with Brady's manipulation at the LOS.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't we have this green dot discussion a lot over the offseason? lol
And they sure as shit didn't solve it at all.

It's gotta be an MLB or safety. Someone who is football smart. One that stays on the field the entire game. All this shit cascades down from the lack of that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they sure as shit didn't solve it at all.

It's gotta be an MLB or safety. Someone who is football smart. One that stays on the field the entire game. All this shit cascades down from the lack of that.
As far as the green dot is concerned, it's supposed to be V-Will. Hence why many of us didn't want to give up snaps to Barron/Bush in lieu of him.

Ideally there should be 2 communicators. ILB controlling the LBs & D-Line, then a safety controlling the DBs. I saw once Bush got outta position prior to a snap and I think it was Kam Kelly that redirected him... lol. A UDFA player from the AAF is communicating the defense to a rookie. There's a big problem with that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it's starting to sound like a crutch now.

At some point the players have to do what the players have been trained to do...for example...Josh Gordon's TD...totally free coming across the middle...Why? It was a tough tackle for Haden to make on the big WR, but Edmunds is supposed to clean that up easily...why didn't he?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's starting to sound like a crutch now.

At some point the players have to do what the players have been trained to do...for example...Josh Gordon's TD...totally free coming across the middle...Why? It was a tough tackle for Haden to make on the big WR, but Edmunds is supposed to clean that up easily...why didn't he?
Edmunds was completely out of position, like he was for most of the night. But I hear ya!