• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winning is everything.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I state the obvious here, but it seems it's not so obvious to some of the fans and some of the media.

I've seen on many accounts that the Lions should pack it up, fold and lose every game for the rest of the season to aquire the first pick of the draft. I've also seen where most fans suggest a new QB, no matter who it is, is the answer to a fresh new start and it garauntees brighter days for the Lions.

I think such talk is rediculous considering the losing history of the organization. Litterally lose on purpose to secure a draft pick that doesn't garauntee anything? Throw away a QB for a guy we don't even know will be any good in the NFL or end up with nothing?

Sorry, but this all sounds terribly odd to me. Building a winning culture doesn't involve lossing purposely. I hope no GM or owner takes that path unless its deep, deep into the season where there is two games left, maybe.

Winning just seems like a better option in my book. I'll take a new GM, a few more wins, with a pick somewhere between 5-15 over having the first pick of the draft and a terrible record.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cool with winning and all but trying to win a few extra games which are pretty much meaningless at this point is counterproductive. We aren't going to the playoffs, even if we win out. We are already 0-2 to Minny.

We lost one of the best players in football this past off-season.
Winning only pushes us out of a shot for one of the blue chip prospects in this years draft. Not only that, a lot of first round talents slip to the top of the 2nd round. Picking #15 in the second round, will only land us a second round talent.

This team NEEDS a blue chip prospect on the O-line or on defense. Especially after losing Suh.
Winning is counter-productive (at this point). May even let Caldwell keep his job.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give you this....

I'm willing to roll with Stafford but hesitantly....

Need to add some talent in the middle rounds on a QB though. At least for backup purposes.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not all about Stafford but I dont see him as the problem at all. I rather build a nice defense and a oline and roll on. Defense travels well and thats what we need.

We are in dire need of secondary help and some bodies up front. If we land a top 5 pick, Id rather trade that it get extra.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give you this....

I'm willing to roll with Stafford but hesitantly....

Need to add some talent in the middle rounds on a QB though. At least for backup purposes.

I'm not hesitant at all with Stafford. Most know my position on him. I agree with LS1 on the part that a different QB is not the answer or possible answer. I have no desire to roll those dice. Stafford drives me crazy at times, but I also know they can draft a Lienart, Sanchez, Smith, EJ, Manziel,...

I can't remember too many QB's who look great with a non existent run game and bottom tier defense. I can remember mediocre QB's winning with top 15 defense and a run game.

Said after this years draft I'd love to see one of those extra mid round picks be used on a QB.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but trying to win a few extra games which are pretty much meaningless at this point is counterproductive. We aren't going to the playoffs, even if we win out.

Isn't that what the Lions are about? Anything they can do to lose and hurt the Organization. In this case it would be the 1st overall draft pick.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've also seen where most fans suggest a new QB, no matter who it is, is the answer to a fresh new start and it garauntees brighter days for the Lions.

I've seen a lot of Matt Millen's out there myself. Getting rid of the better players to suck year after year has gotten old. It should be the other way around...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not all about Stafford but I dont see him as the problem at all. I rather build a nice defense and a oline and roll on. Defense travels well and thats what we need.

We are in dire need of secondary help and some bodies up front. If we land a top 5 pick, Id rather trade that it get extra.

I can't agree with its not about him at all. He has issues, ones I've accepted. I'm willing to give a new regime a last shot with him. His game would be so much better if he just knew when to use the cannon arm or not. His accuracy issues are never leaving. Five HOF Oline guys don't fix that. His flaws can be covered up by a run game limiting his chances.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL is not like the NBA in terms of the draft. There is a lot of depth throughout the first few rounds so drafting 13th instead 2nd or 3rd doesn't really matter. There are several teams who do well every year but have good drafts every year.

I would rather win and build up momentum for next year instead of trying to tank.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaches are coaching for their jobs. They players are playing for their's. If I were the new GM the first people who would be gone are the people who didn't give it all they had after shit went south. Other GMs will see that film too. The worse the rest of the season is, the less likley Caldwell and the staff have of future employment, whether it's in Detroit or not. Everyone's ass is on the line, no one is going to throw games.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Lions will wise up and actually draft defensive players in the 1st round other than the obvious Suh.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won with ten men on the field on a kick that was blocked by the holder.

I expect better against Oakland. Win or Lose. That was a piss poor effort yesterday imo.

Win one at home for Martha..... Some of these dopes reacted like they'd won the Super Bowl. Winning is the only thing that can cure that kind of mindset. It's like they don't expect it themselves.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember too many QB's who look great with a non existent run game and bottom tier defense. I can remember mediocre QB's winning with top 15 defense and a run game.

Stafford had a top 2 defense last season.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coaches are coaching for their jobs. They players are playing for their's. If I were the new GM the first people who would be gone are the people who didn't give it all they had after shit went south. Other GMs will see that film too. The worse the rest of the season is, the less likley Caldwell and the staff have of future employment, whether it's in Detroit or not. Everyone's ass is on the line, no one is going to throw games.

I definitely know thats the case, TB. I'm just confused how quickly everyone is jumping ship, asking for stuff that doesn't make much sense. Lose every game for a draft pick?

What would a owner say if he walked in on the coach or GM saying, "ok we're going to go out here and lose this shit. There's a player there that we must get, fuck the wins."

I want to see this team fight hard to earn some type of respect back and show that they can win.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won with ten men on the field on a kick that was blocked by the holder.

I expect better against Oakland. Win or Lose. That was a piss poor effort yesterday imo.

Win one at home for Martha..... Some of these dopes reacted like they'd won the Super Bowl. Winning is the only thing that can cure that kind of mindset. It's like they don't expect it themselves.

Only poor effort I saw was Prater, twice. Our terrible defense actually stood up to the Pack and didn't fold. Prater hits those extra points and the game was over.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford had a top 2 defense last season.

Nobody is saying that it will automatically propel them to the SB but it helps. Lions go nowhere without that defense last year.

Aren't we just talking about obvious things here? Why try to argue that point just to make Stafford look bad? Every single good team in the league have a few things in common; good defenses, coaches and at least an average oline.