• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson going to the Broncos

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 2022, the Hawks could have Russell Wilson and use up $37M in cap space or not have RW and use up $26M plus get all the draft picks in return. They save $11M in cap space this year, and next year his contract is totally off the books. It's not a new cap concept.
I'm reminded of the used car salesmen trying to convince me how $5000 down and $5000 on delivery was a much better deal than $10000 cash!
You spin it any way you want it but you just spent a boatload of money to get rid of the best QB you've ever had!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, what they do with Metcalf will tell us what they are thinking for this season.
It could be, depending on their level of hubris. You know PC will be out to show he can Belichick his way through a season without his Tom Brady. Maybe Pete does a total 180 on us and decides to see if Drew Lock can be a legit starter with a guy like DK, and he lets him force it to him 10 times a game. It would be a bit bizarre to do that the season you don't have the elite QB, but again the hubris...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless of course the problem wasn't Russell Wilson but Pete Carroll.

"Teams want good players, fans want good draft picks" rings pretty true to me.
I don't blame either. The NFL is set up to make it difficult to remain near the top, in that regard the Seahawks have beat the odds. However it seemed like that wasn't sustainable going forward. Just not enough assets and limited means to obtain additional assets.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks looking at trading for deshaun watson

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reminded of the used car salesmen trying to convince me how $5000 down and $5000 on delivery was a much better deal than $10000 cash!
You spin it any way you want it but you just spent a boatload of money to get rid of the best QB you've ever had!
It's not used car salesman stuff, just simple math. $37M with Russell Wilson vs $26M without. Again, this isn't new cap space phenomena. After the trade, they have $11M more cap space than they did before. It would cost them MORE in cap space to have RW on the team for '22.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks looking at trading for deshaun watson

Why? With a grand jury set to hear his case, it would be next level stupid to trade for him right now.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? With a grand jury set to hear his case, it would be next level stupid to trade for him right now.
Unless we have good confidence that things will be resolved in his favor and/or the compensation is like a '23 7th rounder.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because why the fuck not? Sounds like the comp the texans want is completely out of touch with reality.

But our FO has a track record of getting hoodwinked so who knows. I wouldnt give up more than a 4th MAX

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame either. The NFL is set up to make it difficult to remain near the top, in that regard the Seahawks have beat the odds. However it seemed like that wasn't sustainable going forward. Just not enough assets and limited means to obtain additional assets.

The teams that remain at the top does so because they have a great QB.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless we have good confidence that things will be resolved in his favor and/or the compensation is like a '23 7th rounder.

But, then we've basically undid everything that trading Wilson gave us. $35 million in cap space this year, 37 next year and then 32 and 32. You downgrade at QB, and I highly doubt Houston is looking to sell that low, especially since it eats up most of their cap space and they have to figure that out.

On top of that, I'm not sure I want the PR nightmare that will come with the idiot.

BTW, I highly doubt this ends up in his favor in the next few days. I could be wrong, but I expect that it'll get uglier for Watson.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams that remain at the top does so because they have a great QB.
Or maybe because they have a good organization. Think Steelers, Packers Patriots and Seahawks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe because they have a good organization. Think Steelers, Packers Patriots and Seahawks.

Bellicheck is probably the best coach of all time. But it's far from certain that the Patriots are going to be consistently going forward. The Packers have had 2 QBs for the last 30 years. Steelers and Seahawks can show how good their organizations are now.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last three years we have seen a 2nd year QB go to the SB, Ryan Tannehill get a #1 seed, Jared Goff to the SB, Taylor Heinecke in the playoffs, Baker Mayfield and Tua in the playoffs. Garapollo in the Super Bowl. Mac Jones in the playoffs.

A great QB can hide a lot of flaws, but the goal is to win a Super Bowl, and that takes a whole team, not just a great QB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, then we've basically undid everything that trading Wilson gave us. $35 million in cap space this year, 37 next year and then 32 and 32. You downgrade at QB, and I highly doubt Houston is looking to sell that low, especially since it eats up most of their cap space and they have to figure that out.

On top of that, I'm not sure I want the PR nightmare that will come with the idiot.

BTW, I highly doubt this ends up in his favor in the next few days. I could be wrong, but I expect that it'll get uglier for Watson.
Yeah, the whole thing is a longshot...but even on Watson's current contract, I wouldn't say you un-do everything you did with the RW trade because we would still have all that additional draft capital (assuming you don't have to use it to get Watson). I don't see Houston with tons of leverage here. Are they really gonna pay him $40M vs the cap this year to either play or not? Seems like trading him off post 1-June would be a good move for them, even if they don't get a lot in return. As you say, he's a PR headache right now and an expensive one (for Houston) at that. Another team out there could make the trade and re-work the deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bellicheck is probably the best coach of all time. But it's far from certain that the Patriots are going to be consistently going forward. The Packers have had 2 QBs for the last 30 years. Steelers and Seahawks can show how good their organizations are now.
There have been plenty of really good QBs that ended up on organizations that were not that great so never had the success in the playoffs. QBs get to much credit for success and to much blame for failure. I'm going to be optimist about the Seahawks future and truely feel excited about the possibilities.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last three years we have seen a 2nd year QB go to the SB, Ryan Tannehill get a #1 seed, Jared Goff to the SB, Taylor Heinecke in the playoffs, Baker Mayfield and Tua in the playoffs. Garapollo in the Super Bowl. Mac Jones in the playoffs.

A great QB can hide a lot of flaws, but the goal is to win a Super Bowl, and that takes a whole team, not just a great QB.
The goal is to win the SB, agreed. Here is the list of SB winners since our victory in SB48:
  1. Matt Stafford
  2. Tom Brady
  3. Patrick Mahomes
  4. Tom Brady
  5. Nick Foles (Carson Wentz played most of the season and was an MVP candidate until injury)
  6. Tom Brady
  7. Peyton Manning
  8. Tom Brady
So you have the GOAT and other guys who were either #1 overall picks and/or league MVP (exception with Eagles, but again Wentz was the #1 overall pick and MVP candidate that year).

Speaking of Wentz, he's being traded to the football team formerly known as the football team, news breaking as I type.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz traded to the commies, out of that sweepstakes at least.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the whole thing is a longshot...but even on Watson's current contract, I wouldn't say you un-do everything you did with the RW trade because we would still have all that additional draft capital (assuming you don't have to use it to get Watson). I don't see Houston with tons of leverage here. Are they really gonna pay him $40M vs the cap this year to either play or not? Seems like trading him off post 1-June would be a good move for them, even if they don't get a lot in return. As you say, he's a PR headache right now and an expensive one (for Houston) at that. Another team out there could make the trade and re-work the deal.

$40 million to play or not - $51 million to trade or cut. They just don't have the option to let him go for peanuts as it'll bury them either way.