• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will the Islanders Ever be Good Again?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 goal game for Brock Nelson

BWPagZPCUAECYr3.png

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flames spoil the home opener (and new arena opener) for the Isles. Bread Man with two goals tonight.

giphy.gif

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shutout by a rookie goalie night two.

At least they got to boo JT though.
That will continue until his retirement.

The real question is will they devise a cleaver and enduring cheer for him that will carry on for decades like ranger$ fan$ "Potvin Sucks" for every game...forever

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Varlamov to Toronto? Keep hearing it mentioned as a probably baseless click bait topic, but it does make some sense. Islanders probably wouldn't mind keeping some cap hit this year if they could get a piece and some space for next year...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you fire Trotz when he is the best thing going for your organization. Has to be something between him and Lamoriello or something non-hockey related. He is horrible at playing the kids and that needs to be done to see what you have, but I don't imagine that is the issue that led to this.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read this. WTF

The Islanders finished Thursday as the only NHL team not to have signed a free agent, four months after they reached the trade deadline as the only team not to have made a deal.

It's not like they aren't an aging team with a desperate need for a top line forward, another top 6 forward and a defenseman that can man the point on the PP

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of Trotz is the big x factor here but I would argue they're better. Adding Romanov gives them a rock solid defense which should keep them in most games.

Last year was a crazy one for them. The first month of the season they were on the road while UBS was being completed, then they spent the next 2 1/2 months getting absolutely ravaged by Covid like no other team in the league and you had Anders Lee out all year.

Regular schedule, Covid hopefully in check, captain back, star player is content the coach he hated is gone. I don't think it's crazy to think they'll be good again. Especially with other teams in division also getting older (Pens/Caps)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss of Trotz is the big x factor here but I would argue they're better. Adding Romanov gives them a rock solid defense which should keep them in most games.

Last year was a crazy one for them. The first month of the season they were on the road while UBS was being completed, then they spent the next 2 1/2 months getting absolutely ravaged by Covid like no other team in the league and you had Anders Lee out all year.

Regular schedule, Covid hopefully in check, captain back, star player is content the coach he hated is gone. I don't think it's crazy to think they'll be good again. Especially with other teams in division also getting older (Pens/Caps)
If Sorokin is as solid as he was last season they can make the playoffs but they need scoring. I’d be shocked if they’re not pushing hard on Naz.

They need Barzal to take a step too though. He’s been fine, no doubt, but not exactly a star. I think this is a contract year so hopefully that motivates him.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sorokin is as solid as he was last season they can make the playoffs but they need scoring. I’d be shocked if they’re not pushing hard on Naz.

They need Barzal to take a step too though. He’s been fine, no doubt, but not exactly a star. I think this is a contract year so hopefully that motivates him.

I also believe Barzal was a driving force on Trotz getting axed. In a more offense friendly system he likely takes that next step.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Issue is they went how long with a PP unit that literally couldn't even get the puck in the offensive zone, let alone score? They turned it on late but even then they seldom controlled the puck like most teams do and more just seemed to get a quick opportunity and convert which isn't as reliable.

Also, they too are getting older - 3rd oldest team in the league at year end (Chara and Green of course a part of that). They need a sniper who can put the puck in the net - I'm praying it's Wahlstrom. I like their D now because between Salo and Aho they will easily fill that #6 spot and also be able to handle injuries that arise and Chara and Green were just way too slow out there. But Bailey needs to go or play reduced minutes. Him as a top 3-6 forward screams problems. I like Palmieiri, JGP and ZP but they are looking older and what will they give next year? I think with Trotz gone they will focus more on a true top line instead of worrying about "equal" lines getting equal minutes, but they still need a dynamic forward. I love the identity line but when you have that line as a steady 4th line it moves your typical 4th line type players (injury replacements, etc) to your 3rd line. Personally I'd have moved Varlamov. I think he is fantastic and having two good goalies is huge, but the cap space and return by trading him makes the team better IMO. Sorokin is a super star type goalie. Stood on his head many times last year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorokin was even better than he seemed. So many rushes just went right around our slow D.
Barzal is a star and was incredible in stretches. Single handedly on the PP and just offensive zone in general made stuff happen. Issue is the turnovers when he tries to do too much and line mates that couldn't keep up with him and also he doesn't have the great pure shot to go with the rest of his game. That is why he needs a finisher. Not a Lee type to put in the muck around the net but a guy on the wing who can finish when Barzal takes all the attention to him and has the other team scrambling around and leaving guys open in the confusion or just another elite playmaker. Everything on the Islanders other than Barzal is static. Lee doesn't move well. Nelson has some sniper in him, but other than Beauvillier and Barzal they don't have the speed and quickness a lot of other teams do

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Islanders better hope Raty and/or Dufour are NHL ready (obviously they are not) or a big improvement is not likely at this point. Lamoriello had one job this offseason: get a top 3 or at worst top 6 forward. So far he has failed. Probably better to hang on and wait until near the trade deadline at this point. They have no use for a 3rd line forward or marginal 2nd line forward. They need a legit scorer