• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Bears QB Jay Cutler command $20M a season?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Doubt Jay gets an offer over 10 mil"-------- I doubt McCown will get over 3 mil

"Hell he made Josh McCown the top rated QB in the league."------ that can't guide his team to consecutive wins

And you wonder why ?

:omg:

:yahoo:

:lol:
JMO, considering where this team is. As far Jay is considered . I think they ultimately give him the big bucks he's asking for. Just don't think he has proven he deserves that big contract. I believe if
he gets it it'll be somewhere between 15 & 17 mil.
The money spent on Jay ,could go to FA on the D side of the ball. Where we desperately need help.
I love Jay. But the bigger picture is in my mind. D still wins championships.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, considering where this team is. As far Jay is considered . I think they ultimately give him the big bucks he's asking for. Just don't think he has proven he deserves that big contract. I believe if
he gets it it'll be somewhere between 15 & 17 mil.
The money spent on Jay ,could go to FA on the D side of the ball. Where we desperately need help.
I love Jay. But the bigger picture is in my mind. D still wins championships.

I know I've said this before, but I just don't get where people get off thinking that you don't have to pay top dollar for a franchise QB in this league.

I also don't get why people think they can fix this team through free agency. You fix this defense through the draft. Not free agency.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I've said this before, but I just don't get where people get off thinking that you don't have to pay top dollar for a franchise QB in this league.

I also don't get why people think they can fix this team through free agency. You fix this defense through the draft. Not free agency.

Our D needs plenty of work. 1 draft will not fix all our woes. Considering the FAs we might lose. I'd like to see 2 competent Safeties. A LB who can actually cover his gap. And a couple D- Tackles.
That's a lot to ask for in 1 draft. Not to mention we could use another real TE. And some back-up for our O-line.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love Jay as much as next the Bear fan. Just don't think he's worth 15 or so Mil.
T-man has found QBs to RUN HIS SYSTEM effectively. Just don't think Jay is so important any more.
I would rather see the big bucks paid to guys who can actually stop an opposing O. If they'd rid themselves of PEP a year ago this wouldn't be a question. YOU want to pay 2 guys 30% or more of cap room? Really doesn't leave much cap space for the other 40 something FAs we have.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense has been paid the majority of the cap the last 10+ years. Time for a change in Chicago. Safeties are a concern but a great d-line would help mask a mediocre saftey tandem. With Jay you have no worse a qb than Stafford or Romo. Any other FA QB with not be the answer. To keep him he is going to get paid. How they structure it with up front monies is going to be key. All of a sudden you have a dilema with Melton. The injury should lower his price but I think a change back to the huge interior tackles would be nice. Is Rat an option? I think Bostic will get better but how much is to be seen. Is D.J gonna be back ? The draft will change the way the team looks also. Another bust in the first round like Shea and it is gonna be hard to swallow what Emery is spewing.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what happens in week 17, I feel that the Bears sign Jay. Either with a franchise tag, or with a long term deal. I know some of you don't like Jay - I get it.

Perhaps Emery targets a college QB in the draft. But they don't always work out. Unfortunately, there are 32 teams in the NFL but there are clearly not 32 QB's worthy of starting. Especially none who are UFA.

Five years in with Jay - have we forgotten just how awful life without him was?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with the theory that Trestman has found Qbs to run his offense successfully is that sometimes you have to go outside of the planned offense and go get a win. Nothing in the NFL seems to go the exact way you want it to go. We don't play awful pass defenses like Dallas every game! Sometimes the game can't just be managed, it needs to be taken over. Not just any Qb can do that .

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter what happens in week 17, I feel that the Bears sign Jay. Either with a franchise tag, or with a long term deal. I know some of you don't like Jay - I get it.

Perhaps Emery targets a college QB in the draft. But they don't always work out. Unfortunately, there are 32 teams in the NFL but there are clearly not 32 QB's worthy of starting. Especially none who are UFA.

Five years in with Jay - have we forgotten just how awful life without him was?

And where has he gotten us?

He has not done anything special.All he has done is get us Bear fans on the edge of our seat thinking this is the season,then just to have the chair pulled out from underneath us.

Romo style.

I`m not saying McCown is the guy next year,but i`m not too sure jay is either.

I wonder what excuses we will come up with next year for him?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And where has he gotten us?

He has not done anything special.All he has done is get us Bear fans on the edge of our seat thinking this is the season,then just to have the chair pulled out from underneath us.

Romo style.

I`m not saying McCown is the guy next year,but i`m not too sure jay is either.

I wonder what excuses we will come up with next year for him?

He took us to the NFC Championship game, with arguably the worst o-line and WR group in the history of the league.

He played his ass off for three seasons with the above-mentioned group, while Angelo and Lovie DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support him or surround him with talent. NOTHING. All while, whittling away a top tier defense to boot.

He's had shitty coaching since getting here, (In fact, new shitty coaches EACH year here) no talent around him, (other than Forte) or protecting him. (3 years with a 7th rd pick that doesn't give a fuck, protecting his blind side).

Jay is hands down, the best QB the Bears have ever had. They would be complete morons to send him packing now, now that they have stability surrounding him.

To say that the Bears lack of SB appearances and victories is on Jay, is showing a lack of knowledge about the ULTIMATE team game. One player does not win Superbowls. Just dumb to imply it.

I've stated many times, but will again, that I hope they bring all 3 QB's back, Cutler, McCown and Palmer, as I think it constitutes the best QB core in the league.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears will sign Cutler. This is not even an issue.

I realize a few of you are frustrated with his play, but remember he is a "gunslinger." Sometimes he will kill you with the stupid reads but other times he will amaze you with the beautiful pass.

That being said, I don't think he warrants $20 mil or anything close to that number. He will probably settle for $10-13 mil per season.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A side note, I have been reading quite a few posts from Lion and suddenly arrogant Packer fans wishing and hoping the Bears are "stupid" enough to sign Cutler. If the Bears had any kind of D this season, these same idiots would be silent on the matter.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I realize a few of you are frustrated with his play, but remember he is a "gunslinger." Sometimes he will kill you with the stupid reads but other times he will amaze you with the beautiful pass.

That being said, I don't think he warrants $20 mil or anything close to that number. He will probably settle for $10-13 mil per season.

Ya, for the right price fosho.

I'd think he'd be willing to stay for a little less than what a team like Tenn. or Minn. would potentially pay him. He's had two big contracts already...at this point in his career, I think he'd rather have stability, the obvious talent around him, and a legitimate shot at a ring, but who knows?

I think our Offense is top tier...pieces are there. Improve the D, which can only go up from here...couldn't possibly get worse, could it?

Emery, miraculously turned the o-line around this last offseason. Hopefully he can do the same with the D-line this year.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow-I hope youre right. That would be a bargain, imo. Keep in mind, its not really about whether his play warrants the higher end money, its the high likelihood that some team will offer said amount. That will force the Bears to act accordingly- and thats what it will come down to IF they want to keep him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He took us to the NFC Championship game, with arguably the worst o-line and WR group in the history of the league.

He played his ass off for three seasons with the above-mentioned group, while Angelo and Lovie DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support him or surround him with talent. NOTHING. All while, whittling away a top tier defense to boot.

He's had shitty coaching since getting here, (In fact, new shitty coaches EACH year here) no talent around him, (other than Forte) or protecting him. (3 years with a 7th rd pick that doesn't give a fuck, protecting his blind side).

Jay is hands down, the best QB the Bears have ever had. They would be complete morons to send him packing now, now that they have stability surrounding him.

To say that the Bears lack of SB appearances and victories is on Jay, is showing a lack of knowledge about the ULTIMATE team game. One player does not win Superbowls. Just dumb to imply it.

I've stated many times, but will again, that I hope they bring all 3 QB's back, Cutler, McCown and Palmer, as I think it constitutes the best QB core in the league.

I`ve my self has always said a w-l record when it comes to qbs is a stupid stat.....Especially baseball.

But that championship game you were referring to.............Shit,Hanie came in and played 10xs better than jay did..so what was your point?
How many times has jay not showed for a big game?........countless.
this was the year he could`ve gotten us there.
he gets hurt after 10 sacks?.......There goes the horrible o-line theory after we got him some help.
Hows about marshall,jeffrey and martellus?.We got us a great rec. group and still no playoffs.
I thought we hired Trestman cause he was a qb coach?....Thats right,McCown came in and lit`em up
How about Jay showing up vs phi so we didn`t have to play GB with the season on the line........and this was against an 32nd ranked pass defense?

and no,Jay would have to make the HOF for him to be the best qb we ever had...........and McMahon was 10xs the leader Jay ever thought of being.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do I think jay will be here next year....yes i do.......Do I think we have a better option........no,but if it presents itself,im all for it..

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.......what a difference a fews months make.......or in 63bears40 speak.....Wow.....whut a diffferance a fewed months mayke

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.......what a difference a fews months make.......or in 63bears40 speak.....Wow.....whut a diffferance a fewed months mayke

Leo... I know I'm still new here, but after skimming over this post- I think we might be brothers. I'd buy you a beer!
Go Bears! :suds:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leo... I know I'm still new here, but after skimming over this post- I think we might be brothers. I'd buy you a beer!
Go Bears! :suds:

Be careful my friend, he'll turn you too.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just curious, where did that come from?