• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Bears QB Jay Cutler command $20M a season?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think the Bears should pay Cutler the $20 million that people say he will get since he is just as good as Flacco or will they let him go and let some other team give him that much money? Or what amount of money would you Bear fans be comfortable with?

Will Bears QB Jay Cutler command $20M a season? - NFL.com

Will Bears QB Jay Cutler command $20M a season?

The Chicago Bears are borrowing the 2012 Baltimore Ravens' approach to their quarterback's expiring contract. The organization reportedly cut off contract talks with Jay Cutler once Marc Trestman was hired as coach in January.

Joe Flacco ended up making the Ravens pay through the nose after hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. One NFL salary cap manager believes Cutler is guaranteed to match Flacco's salary next offseason whether or not the Bears commit to a long-term extension.

Jay Cutler is going to eventually get $20 million no matter how much he deserves it," the cap manager told ESPN.com's Mike Sando. "I think there will be a team desperate for a quarterback who doesn't like the quarterbacks in the draft. Maybe they think they're close and the GM says Jay Cutler is no different from Joe Flacco, that you can win a championship with him. It just takes one of 32 teams to make that judgment, and I think there's a good chance someone will. Cutler can still be pretty darn good."

In addition to the contract-year gamble, there are two obvious similarities between Cutler and Flacco. Any conversation about the strongest arm in the league starts with the two of them, along with Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rodgers.

Freed from the shackles of Cam Cameron's predictable offense, Flacco turned in a 15-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio and [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]299196273733562368[/MEDIA]"]106.8 passer rating[/ame] under Jim Caldwell down the stretch. After toiling under the unimaginative combo of Lovie Smith and Mike Tice last season, Cutler now has the benefit of one of football's brightest offensive minds in Trestman

Unlike the 2012 version of Flacco, however, Cutler has never experienced postseason success. Questions remain about his coachability, mechanics, decision-making and leadership. At age 30, his perceived value is still based more on potential than results.

If Cutler breaks out under Trestman, the Bears will keep him via the franchise tag or a mega contract. Even if the quarterback stumbles this season, all it takes is one desperate team to overpay, believing they have the coaching staff that finally can flip the light on Cutler's career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler has to earn that kinda money this year or I see us drafting a QB next. I think 16 mil will be the number if he shows this year to be worth it. Emory is not a mess around guy, Jay gets this year and no more to prove he is as good as he is supposed to be. But it won't be 20, without a SB himself. All excuses are off the table, we have put a great offense around him and a O coach.
PS. good to see you here Leggs.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler has to make the Probowl before he even thinks about anything like that, 20,000,000 a season he better make 3 probowls. the colts wouldnt even give that to Manning. now hes a Bronco.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and noone else is going to either, he hasnt done anything yet for us, I like Jay and i have confidence in him but he isnt an elite yet, hopefully he makes some ProBowls, but first and foremost he has to help us win a superbowl.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same old bullshit lies dreamt up by this poster. Stay on your packers board . Troll

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd better not.

If the bears pay him that the people involved will be fired very soon.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea why the heck that guy would say that.

Flacco's resume is much more impressive than Cutler's.

Flacco got that money because he won the Super Bowl, and had previous playoff success. I hate judging a QB by their teams wins and losses, but if you don't think they're not going to use that against Jay. You're crazy. Let's take a look at the two resume's side by side. Shall we?

Joe Flacco:

56-28 regular season record. 9-4 Playoff Record.

He has reached the playoffs every year of his career, and has never been a first round knockout. Four 10 plus win seasons.

Jay Cutler:

... he would have been really good if his O-line and WR's didn't suck.

Sorry, I hate the way that argument is structured too. However, that's exactly what the Bears are going to throw at him. Jay would have to at least reach the Super Bowl to get in the BALL PARK of 20 mil per year. Even though, no way.

Jay needs to really have a good year, or the Bears might not want to pay him 10 mil per year.

Rush

DA DA DA DADA DA DA DA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd better not.

If the bears pay him that the people involved will be fired very soon.

That's easy to say before he had a poor outing vs Detroit.

C

cubzzzfanincali

If cutler has playoff success, he might sniff upper teens. But not until he logs some better complete game and wins something in the postseAson. Otherwise, no thanks.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to look far in this forum to find my opinion on cutler. He lays eggs like this far too often.

20million for him will easily get this group run out of town fairly quickly.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to look far in this forum to find my opinion on cutler. He lays eggs like this far too often.

20million for him will easily get this group run out of town fairly quickly.

You come here in the pre-season talking shit. Cutler plays three very good games, and wins. You're nowhere to be found. Now, after a weaker performance, you're SUDDENLY back.

Such an honorable and noble man you must be.

I'm just curious, what is it that sparked your obsession with Jay? Was it the double chin, back in his earlier Bears days? Or, was it the diabetes? Maybe that cocky arrogant attitude is just irresistible to you?

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:bullshit:

Lays eggs??? All the posts youve composed fits that description much better.

Your opinion? Yeah, we are aware. The route youve taken to arrive at your conclusion is riddled with ignorance and stupidity- and thats the reason most here really dont value what you say.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is when the topic was made. Am I expected to reply before then?

If you're paying a guy not in the top half of starters at his position 20 mil a year you're fucking up somewhere.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is when the topic was made. Am I expected to reply before then?

If you're paying a guy not in the top half of starters at his position 20 mil a year you're fucking up somewhere.

Expected to reply? No, no no...just dont reply...period.

Well, lets see here, lets assume the Bears want to keep him, and that number is what it takes to keep him. What does that mean to you?? It tells me there are likely, or going to be competitive offers elsewhere.

Sure, performance compared to others who recently were resigned is going to set a baseline, but for you to say unequivocally- "If you're paying a guy not in the top half of starters at his position 20 mil a year you're fucking up somewhere." is stupid. Why? Because if you knew WTF you were talking about, you would know it doesnt work in that linear fashion.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you consider an elite quarterback? Just asking, because some consider Tony Romo an elite quarterback and I believe he is making about $18 million per year. As for me, Tony Romo might be good statistically and nice to have on your fantasy roster, but I would not put him that far ahead of Cutler as far as eliteness. The guy has barely won a playoff game. Same with Matt Ryan who is making OVER $20 million per year and just recently won his first playoff game.

I guess my point is that IMO I don't think Culter needs to do much more in order to get paid, somewhere. Somebody will do it. Maybe not $20 million but it will be close.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expected to reply? No, no no...just dont reply...period.

Well, lets see here, lets assume the Bears want to keep him, and that number is what it takes to keep him. What does that mean to you?? It tells me there are likely, or going to be competitive offers elsewhere.

Sure, performance compared to others who recently were resigned is going to set a baseline, but for you to say unequivocally- "If you're paying a guy not in the top half of starters at his position 20 mil a year you're fucking up somewhere." is stupid. Why? Because if you knew WTF you were talking about, you would know it doesnt work in that linear fashion.

Because that is 20 million you can't pay to people who are actually good. Even if the cap was 200mil, 10% of your cap for a mediocre player will fuck you.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony romo is right below cutler IMO. Why do you think Dallas sucks every year?

They have 20mil a year in a guy who is a bad QB.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is NOT a 20 Million QB based on his current Resume.......He will NOT command 20Mil and if he does...looks like he wont be playing next year.....I can see any team DESPERATE enough to give him that kind of money.....even the QB needy teams....Im sure thye would think......with 20mil...we could get 3-4 good players and Draft a rookie...A rookie can come in and do what jay does, which is fling it around.....throw picks, take sacks, and blame everyone else for his shortcomings!!!

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is NOT a 20 Million QB based on his current Resume.......He will NOT command 20Mil and if he does...looks like he wont be playing next year.....I can see any team DESPERATE enough to give him that kind of money.....even the QB needy teams....Im sure thye would think......with 20mil...we could get 3-4 good players and Draft a rookie...A rookie can come in and do what jay does, which is fling it around.....throw picks, take sacks, and blame everyone else for his shortcomings!!!

Sorry, but just like JDM, the linear, convenient reasoning youve given doesnt preclude it from happening, whether its the Bears or another team. As for your last sentence, its the typical ignorance spewed from the misnformed fan- of another team.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think the bears will reach an extension with him by this off season so yes, he will be a 20 million dollar quarterback next year for chicago because we will end up using the franchise tag on him.

Maybe we can resign Blanchard after week 10 to develop him, but at least if we had a backup like Edwards they could have pulled Cutler when Suh twisted his knee on that tackle. I am sure Jay was off kilter with his diabetes or just plain sick because McCown was waiting with his helmet on every offensive possession when they showed him next to Trestman. He will have a less than 20 million QB year, but will have his best stat year ever.

I just dont trust him. He is saying all the right things so far. We will wait and see if he isnt extended by the deadline they can pad some of his signing bonus on this years salary cap (10-30 I believe) we will see if he still keeps saying the right things.