• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wife beater or cheater

What should the NFL punish stronger?

• Total voters

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't really decide between the two main choices. I mean one is an individual outside of the game making a decision. The other affects the integrity of the game that we all love and doesn't just affect that individual but the entire league. I guess it just depends on what you mean by punishment. Such as to me that individual in the DV case if found guilty should definitely be punished very harshly but that doesn't really affect the team as a whole. Where I would say cheating on the field should affect the entire team such as what we saw with the Patriots losing some draft picks. I would also say though in those situations a coach should be suspended for an entire season like we saw with Payton. Might cause the coaches to keep a closer eye on those type of things going on on the field if they know it will cost them a year at their job and a possibly good chance of being fired.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he did come back. The reason I don't like PR being important is because it's based off of emotional outrage on social media (whether rational or irrational). Those people tend to have short memories; the outrage is extremely temporary. It's why punishments are heavy handed at first but later reduced. They appease the social justice warriors and let the player off light later.

I don't remember playing another game as a Falcon...but I think you make good points on the emotional strings getting tugged and ultimately loosened later. In his case they were loosened b/c some people felt he served his time and it was best served to let it go.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all dependent on the employer. I'm sure in Rock's red herring example above, he likely signed a contract stating the the company could fire him for such offenses. How activities outside of work are handled is dependent on the employer, they are not required to do anything regarding that aspect of your life. They can if they choose to. However, if you break the rules of your employer, particularly at work, then you should 100% receive punishment.
employment

at

will

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is anyone here smart enough to know what an employment at will state is?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is anyone here smart enough to know what an employment at will state is?

Pretty sure it means somebody can be fired for whatever reason and without warning and does not have to meet the criteria of "Just cause" to be terminated.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure it means somebody can be fired for whatever reason and without warning and does not have to meet the criteria of "Just cause" to be terminated.
exactly.

thus, you can be fired for guilt by association...or anything...with no explanation.

mass is an employment at will state. you can be fired for no good reason.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember playing another game as a Falcon...but I think you make good points on the emotional strings getting tugged and ultimately loosened later. In his case they were loosened b/c some people felt he served his time and it was best served to let it go.
I didn't know you meant back in an Atlanta uniform. I was talking about how he made he way back into the league after serving his time in prison which the NFL had no control over.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock, your particular situation has nothing to do with this. Nothing. At all.

The question is should the NFL treat both types of infractions on equal footing in terms of the overall public perception of which offense itself is worse, or should the NFL be going harshly after things it has full jurisdiction over and look at outside criminal cases based off some different criteria such as what the criminal justice system has already handed down, etc?

Reasonable people can conclude the NFL front office is the only source of punishment for game related infractions and thus must come down harder on those than augmenting outside infractions on top of the justice system.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly.

thus, you can be fired for guilt by association...or anything...with no explanation.

mass is an employment at will state. you can be fired for no good reason.
I don't see what your point is outside of explaining an at will state?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know you meant back in an Atlanta uniform. I was talking about how he made he way back into the league after serving his time in prison which the NFL had no control over.

Oh, yeah I meant here...I always felt he would play in the league again if he stayed in shape.

Your point is valid...I just think from the team standpoint there is a fine line...you can't micromanage the lives of the players off the field, but I can tolerate a deflategate a whole lot better than a Ray Rice deal.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GA is one of those type states, employers do not need a reason to terminate employees, but most companies still follow some sort of strike system (2 or 3 write ups) and you're out.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, yeah I meant here...I always felt he would play in the league again if he stayed in shape.

Your point is valid...I just think from the team standpoint there is a fine line...you can't micromanage the lives of the players off the field, but I can tolerate a deflategate a whole lot better than a Ray Rice deal.
That's very true. In all honesty their actual infraction was minor, it's the lack of compliance that screwed the Patriots. It's kind of like how our justice system isn't going to let perjury slide unpunished. I think Ray Rice is a terrible human being and averted criminal charges because his wife is extremely loyal to him too.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What about all the other domestic violence incidents that didn't make it to video?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about all the other domestic violence incidents that didn't make it to video?
same as all the underinflated balls for jeff blake and david carr among many others.

it wasnt an issue, so nobody cared.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
same as all the underinflated balls for jeff blake and david carr among many others.

it wasnt an issue, so nobody cared.

Yes and that wasn't an excuse for Ray Rice so it's not an excuse for Marsha.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and that wasn't an excuse for Ray Rice so it's not an excuse for Marsha.
no, but it was an excuse for all the predecessors.

the leagues messed up...its not an issue until there is public outcry.

and why was there outcry this time? because brady did it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well then you might want to talk to the other 3 teams in the NFL that complained to the league about the balls not being proper. This became an issue among other teams not being too happy that they thought the Patriots were trying to get an unfair advantage. So either they have a personal vendetta against the Patriots or the cheating was so much more than what teams deem allowable that they decided to act. I mean this wasn't made public until these other teams took action. The public doesn't always know these type of things are going on so hard to make it an issue if we don't know it is an issue. Not like we can be on the field measuring the balls to make sure they are properly inflated.

Throw in part of the outcry is because this was being done in the 2nd biggest game of the year. Do it week 3 and not such a big deal.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly? It's more dishonest doing it after they have been officially checked and it becomes 100 times worse when someone lies about it and 1000 times worse when someone smugly lies about it.