• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wife beater or cheater

What should the NFL punish stronger?

• Total voters

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea

same with a football deflated by 1 psi. no one cared til brady did it.

bam!
No one cared until he lied about it. Get your facts straight.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think cheating. To actively circumvent the rules and alter the on field product is worse than things going on off the field. Much like at work, I'd prefer they not bug me about my personal life so long as I show up and do what I'm supposed to. If I do something at work that is detrimental to the company I believe that deserves a more severe punishment.

I think this falls in the both category.

As a representative of a company that interfaces with the public...there's a moral standard.

If you drive a FedEx van for a living during the week and you get a DUI on the weekend...you should get fired.

If you play football on Sunday...on Tuesday you shouldn't be able to have a DUI and be back at work on Sunday either.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this falls in the both category.

As a representative of a company that interfaces with the public...there's a moral standard.

If you drive a FedEx van for a living during the week and you get a DUI on the weekend...you should get fired.

If you play football on Sunday...on Tuesday you shouldn't be able to have a DUI and be back at work on Sunday either.

That's all dependent on the employer. I'm sure in Rock's red herring example above, he likely signed a contract stating the the company could fire him for such offenses. How activities outside of work are handled is dependent on the employer, they are not required to do anything regarding that aspect of your life. They can if they choose to. However, if you break the rules of your employer, particularly at work, then you should 100% receive punishment.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the integrity of the game is more important than public relations nonsense but I understand why PR is important to the NFL (especially since they want more female viewers).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all dependent on the employer. I'm sure in Rock's red herring example above, he likely signed a contract stating the the company could fire him for such offenses. How activities outside of work are handled is dependent on the employer, they are not required to do anything regarding that aspect of your life. They can if they choose to. However, if you break the rules of your employer, particularly at work, then you should 100% receive punishment.

I agree it does depend on the employer, and where you sit on the food chain, but most companies simply don't want to deal with the headache...they would rather get rid of the problem.

We're a small operation and I was asked to revise the company handbook with some legal HR assistance.

A driver for this company was involved in a relationship with a co-worker's wife...this info came to light a few months ago and the owner didn't think it was a big deal, but the field supervisor thought it was huge deal because those two employees had to interact with each every day.

We retained both employees, but the guy who was screwed the co-workers wife eventually quit because the other workers all knew about it and made him into an outsider.

Now...according to the handbook...if it had been an assault with a police file...we would've let him go immediately.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the integrity of the game is more important than public relations nonsense but I understand why PR is important to the NFL (especially since they want more female viewers).

No doubt integrity of the game is important, but a culture of you aint cheating you aint trying culture still exists in sports...they have measures in place to police such matters...but you can't have your players on the wrong side of the law off the field.

Michael Vick simply could not come back here after what he did.

Last edited:

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt integrity of the game is important, but a culture of you aint cheating you aint trying culture still exists in sports...they have measures in place to police such matters...but you can't have your players on the wrong side of the law of the field.

Michael Vick simply could not come back here after what he did.
But he did come back. The reason I don't like PR being important is because it's based off of emotional outrage on social media (whether rational or irrational). Those people tend to have short memories; the outrage is extremely temporary. It's why punishments are heavy handed at first but later reduced. They appease the social justice warriors and let the player off light later.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly believe that every single pro football player has cheated, lied or done something illegal on the field or in a game. Either they've broken a rule with equipment, stickum, or a football. 99% are ignored because everyone else is doing something. Everyone wants to be the best, everyone wants to win........it's a matter of what they're willing to do to get there. For many, it's PEDs, for others it's a cheap shot on another player. To the QBs it's totally making a game ball indistinguishable from the ball that arrived 1-3 weeks before the game.

Same in baseball, basketball and most often.....hockey.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly believe that every single pro football player has cheated, lied or done something illegal on the field or in a game. Either they've broken a rule with equipment, stickum, or a football. 99% are ignored because everyone else is doing something. Everyone wants to be the best, everyone wants to win........it's a matter of what they're willing to do to get there. For many, it's PEDs, for others it's a cheap shot on another player. To the QBs it's totally making a game ball indistinguishable from the ball that arrived 1-3 weeks before the game.

Same in baseball, basketball and most often.....hockey.

I think most people can understand why you think this way.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are relevant. Cheating is obviously an issue and should be addressed. It's a big deal. And the league and teams have set the precident that character off the field is something they (at least want to look like they) value. Also a big deal. It's not an either or thing. One isn't more important than the other. There are plenty of jobs that will reprimand, or even let go of employees for issues outside of work the same as poor performance at work.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of strong action on the bacon option. It's the one thing that truly unites us all.

images

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My response above is why I voted for bacon.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's why bacon is on the list. If you aren't firmly one way or the other you need something to click am I right?

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is only starting to come down hard on players for domestic violence and such because so many people raise such a shit storm over it. Not saying I am ok with domestic violence but its not my business really unless I witness or can stop it from happening. Also, I don't believe people really give a shit like they portray they do. I don't believe for 1 second people actually give a fuck about Ray Rices wife. They just get off on crucifying an easy target that Ray made himself. The media also feeds it to people because they eat it up.

So no the NFL needs to concentrate on its cheating problems and honestly, if anything let the teams deal with their players. They represent them more than the league as a whole. Still don't think that teams should get too involved in the punishment process unless its habitual.

As for the bacon, its tasty.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is only starting to come down hard on players for domestic violence and such because so many people raise such a shit storm over it. Not saying I am ok with domestic violence but its not my business really unless I witness or can stop it from happening. Also, I don't believe people really give a shit like they portray they do. I don't believe for 1 second people actually give a fuck about Ray Rices wife. They just get off on crucifying an easy target that Ray made himself. The media also feeds it to people because they eat it up.

So no the NFL needs to concentrate on its cheating problems and honestly, if anything let the teams deal with their players. They represent them more than the league as a whole. Still don't think that teams should get too involved in the punishment process unless its habitual.
Maybe...

I'd argue that most are sincere. People invest a lot, both financially and emotionally as fans, it doesn't sit well when they realize they've been supporting wife beaters.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...

I'd argue that most are sincere. People invest a lot, both financially and emotionally as fans, it doesn't sit well when they realize they've been supporting wife beaters.

Well...it's a lot harder to turn a blind eye when a video exists.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL should punish cheaters more, but law enforcement should punish wife beaters more, with the league punishment coming after the judicial process.
Bingo. That's the point. Welcome aboard the sanity express. We serve drinks in the last car. Help yourself.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe...

With all due respect, I disagree. To be fair, I think the non-football fans jump in on the topic and scream the loudest. Seems like they take advantage of the giant soapbox of an NFL player to further their agenda. Do these people raise hell in their own city or town when someone beats their wife or girlfriend and boycott where they work? I would bet they don't.