• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is McCaffery going to New York?

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact, if Henry was from the West Coast this would be the largest margin of victory just like Mariota was last year.

If McCaffrey went to Bama and Henry went to Stanford, McCaffrey would win by one of the largest margins ever. Henry shouldn't win it.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I saw all but one team underachieve.
Oregon: Preseason 7, Final 15
USC 8; (inexplicably) 25
UCLA 13; UR
Arizona State 15; UR
Arizona 22; UR

Stanford is the only team that didn't drop substantially from their preseason ranking. Utah did well but fizzled after a hot start. Wazzou was a nice story, but lost to an FCS team, got murdered by a bad Washington team, and got to face Oregon with Lockie and not Adams.
That's why preseason takings are worthless. The top underachieved, the bottom greatly overachieved for the most part. Either way, what you're saying here is a different argument than the conference is down...

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why preseason takings are worthless. The top underachieved, the bottom greatly overachieved for the most part. Either way, what you're saying here is a different argument than the conference is down...
Pac 12 was the deepest conference in America.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The top GREATLY underachieved, the bottom overachieved but not in any substantial way.

You guys finished 2014 with 6 ranked teams that supposedly had tons of momentum, and it showed in the preseason rankings. 2015 was by no means a successful year for the Pac12 as a whole. Using a few bottom feeders that rose to mediocrity doesn't come close to the bevy of teams (mostly from the south) with high hopes based on last season that had the bottom fall out. I just don't see any way how you can say it was a good year for that conference as a whole.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 was the deepest conference in America.
You're mistaking depth for mediocrity. All but three teams in that conference had at least 4 losses this year.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW went 6-6. That's not an "up" year.
Cal was 7-5. Also not an "up" year.

Stanford and Utah were solid teams. Wazzou, I'm sorry, was not. You don't lose to an FCS team and get your doors blown off by 6-6 Washington if you want people to think you're a good team. Also, as I said, they got to face Lockie, who is a substantial downgrade from Adams.

Overall, you guys started the year with 2 top 10 teams and 5 ranked teams overall. You ended with 1 top 10 team and 3 teams ranked overall. I'd say that amounts to an underachieving season for the conference, especially the South.
You might have trouble understanding a Pac-12 schedule. I'll put it this way, if every team in the Pac-12 played Ohio St's schedule, I would be willing to throw down serious cash that every single team's record would be 1-3 games better than what they are now.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UW went 6-6. That's not an "up" year.
Cal was 7-5. Also not an "up" year.

Stanford and Utah were solid teams. Wazzou, I'm sorry, was not. You don't lose to an FCS team and get your doors blown off by 6-6 Washington if you want people to think you're a good team. Also, as I said, they got to face Lockie, who is a substantial downgrade from Adams.

Overall, you guys started the year with 2 top 10 teams and 5 ranked teams overall. You ended with 1 top 10 team and 3 teams ranked overall. I'd say that amounts to an underachieving season for the conference, especially the South.
See, all of this shows that you're probably not qualified to try to argue about anything to do with the conference to begin with.

Washington was expected by most to win around 4 games. The started a freshman qb, freshman rb, and are young on defense. They won 6, and we're in every game at the end. There's no reason to think they can't hang with anyone.

Cal has been a doormat, and also showed they can play with just about anyone this year. 7 wins is absolutely an up year...

Regarding WSU and discounting then for getting their ass kicked by UW, see above, the 6-6 record doesn't tell the whole story for that team.

Again, preseason rankings are worthless. No one said the top of the Pac didn't have an underachieving season... you said the conference was down, in terms of competitiveness, it wasnt...

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might have trouble understanding a Pac-12 schedule. I'll put it this way, if every team in the Pac-12 played Ohio St's schedule, I would be willing to throw down serious cash that every single team's record would be 1-3 games better than what they are now.
Based on what?? The Pac12 didn't do good out of conference either. Utah had a decent win over michigan, and Stanford beat a ND team that was ravaged with injuries. Otherwise, what was there?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, all of this shows that you're probably not qualified to try to argue about anything to do with the conference to begin with.

Washington was expected by most to win around 4 games. The started a freshman qb, freshman rb, and are young on defense. They won 6, and we're in every game at the end. There's no reason to think they can't hang with anyone.

Cal has been a doormat, and also showed they can play with just about anyone this year. 7 wins is absolutely an up year...

Regarding WSU and discounting then for getting their ass kicked by UW, see above, the 6-6 record doesn't tell the whole story for that team.

Again, preseason rankings are worthless. No one said the top of the Pac didn't have an underachieving season... you said the conference was down, in terms of competitiveness, it wasnt...
I didn't say the conference was down in terms of competitiveness. Being competitive with one another is not a sign of conference strength when you really didn't do much out of conference to begin with. The Mountain West was also pretty competitive, but their best team (8-0 San Diego State) lost 3 of their 4 OOC games, so it doesn't mean the conference itself was competitive or strong from a national perspective.

If you seriously think Washington or Cal could hang with any of the teams in the current top 10, then it's hilarious that you actually tell someone else they "aren't qualified to argue".

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he was black, with those numbers, no matter the competition?

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on what?? The Pac12 didn't do good out of conference either. Utah had a decent win over michigan, and Stanford beat a ND team that was ravaged with injuries. Otherwise, what was there?

You are right that the Pac didn't do that well OOC. But that is because they played some difficult games.

UW traveled to Boise.
Oregon went to Mich St
ASU traveled to Texas to play A&M
USC lost at Notre Dame
Stanford lost at NW.

Ohio st didn't travel anywhere and literally had 3 difficult games all year.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're mistaking depth for mediocrity. All but three teams in that conference had at least 4 losses this year.
If the SEC finished this way and not the Pac, all we would hear is how the SEC beat up on each other. The PAC was the deepest conference in the country. I'm not sure it's that close either.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say the conference was down in terms of competitiveness. Being competitive with one another is not a sign of conference strength when you really didn't do much out of conference to begin with. The Mountain West was also pretty competitive, but their best team (8-0 San Diego State) lost 3 of their 4 OOC games, so it doesn't mean the conference itself was competitive or strong from a national perspective.

If you seriously think Washington or Cal could hang with any of the teams in the current top 10, then it's hilarious that you actually tell someone else they "aren't qualified to argue".
So, competitiveness is irrelevant, but where teams finished in relation to their preseason ranking matters in this discussion?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are right that the Pac didn't do that well OOC. But that is because they played some difficult games.

UW traveled to Boise.
Oregon went to Mich St
ASU traveled to Texas to play A&M
USC lost at Notre Dame
Stanford lost at NW.

Ohio st didn't travel anywhere and literally had 3 difficult games all year.
Dude, what does Ohio State have to do with the Pac 12? You're trying to draw a comparison where there isn't one. By and large, the Pac was down this year compared to recent years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC finished this way and not the Pac, all we would hear is how the SEC beat up on each other. The PAC was the deepest conference in the country. I'm not sure it's that close either.
The thing is, when the SEC has done this, they've also had some nice OOC wins to go along with it. The Pac has two extremely close wins over ranked teams, and neither was that impressive. They also have some ugly losses and overall didn't do well.

Put it this way; the Pac 12 had 6 teams finish better than 7-5. The B1G had 6 teams finish 9-3 or better. How does that make the Pac 12 deeper?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, competitiveness is irrelevant, but where teams finished in relation to their preseason ranking matters in this discussion?
This conversation is about how a conference did overall from the national perspective. You can put a bunch of mediocre teams in a conference and they'll be competitive from one another but it doesn't somehow mean that it's a great conference or that they had a good year.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This conversation is about how a conference did overall from the national perspective. You can put a bunch of mediocre teams in a conference and they'll be competitive from one another but it doesn't somehow mean that it's a great conference or that they had a good year.
Because all but 2 teams in the PAC were bowl eligible while 6 in the B1G weren't. This isn't just about the top . I'd say the top few teams in the B1G are better than the top of the PAC, but this is about the whole conference. And saying that Stanford barely beat ND as some sort of slight to them is insane. ND was a playoff team or close to it and Stanford won. That is impressive.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, what does Ohio State have to do with the Pac 12? You're trying to draw a comparison where there isn't one. By and large, the Pac was down this year compared to recent years.
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit but...

I picked Ohio St because they were in your Avatar and they play in a conference that only plays 8 conference games.

The absolute best that the Pac-12 can do in conference is 54-54. Each team schedules 1 good OOC game and 2 cupcakes, so 12 good games and 24 cupcakes.

The absolute best that the Big-10 can do in conference is 56-56. Each team schedules 1 good OOC game and 3 cupcakes, so 14 good games and 42 cupcakes.

pac schedule > Big10 schedule