• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why do Wisconsin fans think their football team is an elite?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just spoke to my UW grad brother and asked him if they are finally going to stomp those dikheads. He answered like a true Badger: "I just don't think we can possibly find a way to lose yet again."

I think he's wrong...they can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like no team I've ever seen

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's wrong...they can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like no team I've ever seen

It's always been that way. I can remember seeing the most bizarre and incredible games even as a young kid in the 70s. Lots of character I guess. We'd go to games with the stadium half empty and the smell of weed wafting over from the student section...crazy.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've recently become relevant since the B1G has been down but yet since 1980 they are a mere 26-12 against a bottom dweller (or so they say) Iowa.

That's pretty interesting. It seems as if Wisconsin might only be "good" when the B1G is bad.

Discuss

I for one wouldn't call Iowa a "bottom dweller," more of a middle of the pack kind of team, just like Wisconsin (though Wisconsin is in the upper middle while Iowa is in the lower middle right now).

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's always been that way. I can remember seeing the most bizarre and incredible games even as a young kid in the 70s. Lots of character I guess. We'd go to games with the stadium half empty and the smell of weed wafting over from the student section...crazy.

Those were the days...I was there in the mid 80's and we'd sneak booze in...not really sneak because they'd frisk you, ask what it was and where you were sitting and then send you in with the beer, booze or whatever you had...and you always needed a coat to carry it in..no matter what the temp.

Good times....

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one wouldn't call Iowa a "bottom dweller," more of a middle of the pack kind of team, just like Wisconsin (though Wisconsin is in the upper middle while Iowa is in the lower middle right now).

If you're talking about nationally Wisconsin is definitely top 25. Which is above upper middle.

If you're talking about B1G, to say UW isn't a top tier team is.. baffling.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

umm... UW has done more than UM the last 5 years...

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were the days...I was there in the mid 80's and we'd sneak booze in...not really sneak because they'd frisk you, ask what it was and where you were sitting and then send you in with the beer, booze or whatever you had...and you always needed a coat to carry it in..no matter what the temp.

Good times....
Trust me, they're still sneaking in booze. They're just watching the game while they get drunk now.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to Appalachian St.... I guess thats what top tier teams do.

Barely beating Akron... hmmm

Barely beating whatever scrub you played last week....

Michigan is far from impressive right now

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're talking about nationally Wisconsin is definitely top 25. Which is above upper middle.

If you're talking about B1G, to say UW isn't a top tier team is.. baffling.

If I were to break the Big Ten into tiers it would be like this:

Top - Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn St.

Middle - Wisconsin, MSU, Northwestern, Iowa

Bottom - Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota

More years than not, the top tier teams will be in the conversation for the conference title (if not higher). The middle will go through some good stetches, but never quite seem to break through. While the bottom.......well they're the bottom. During any given year the order within the tiers will change, and there will be some overlap, the top of the middle being as good if not better than the bottom of the top.

Don't get me wrong, Wisconsin has had a good past 10 years, but remember they only played in the Big Ten Title game last year because both Penn St. and Ohio State were eligible. And good on Wisconsin for making it to the Rose Bowl for three straight years, but they lost all three. And despite all their success their coach (Bielema) left for greener pastures. Wisconsin has yet to break through to that next level.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing to Appalachian St.... I guess thats what top tier teams do.

Barely beating Akron... hmmm

Barely beating whatever scrub you played last week....

Michigan is far from impressive right now

Right now, sure, but the season is far from over and they did look impressive over Notre Dame. And that team that lost to App State, went on to beat a Flordia team led by Meyer and Tebow.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good past 10 years? That's an odd place to stop considering Wisconsin won the Rose Bowl 13 and 14 years ago.

Putting Wisconsin in the same bucket as Iowa and NW is ludicrous. NW had a good couple years in the 90s with Darnell Autry, was decent last year and looks good this year. When did they last win a bowl game? Any bowl game?

Real tiers in the B1G:

Tier 1 - Ohio State

Tier 2 - Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin

Tier 3 - MSU, Iowa, Northwestern

Tier 4 - Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota

Wisconsin has less history than the other Tier 2 teams but more recent success. If you want to make Wisconsin "Tier 2b" on account of that, fine, but they're not in the Iowa/MSU/NW camp.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were to break the Big Ten into tiers it would be like this:

Top - Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn St.

Middle - Wisconsin, MSU, Northwestern, Iowa

Bottom - Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota

More years than not, the top tier teams will be in the conversation for the conference title (if not higher). The middle will go through some good stetches, but never quite seem to break through. While the bottom.......well they're the bottom. During any given year the order within the tiers will change, and there will be some overlap, the top of the middle being as good if not better than the bottom of the top.

Don't get me wrong, Wisconsin has had a good past 10 years, but remember they only played in the Big Ten Title game last year because both Penn St. and Ohio State were eligible. And good on Wisconsin for making it to the Rose Bowl for three straight years, but they lost all three. And despite all their success their coach (Bielema) left for greener pastures. Wisconsin has yet to break through to that next level.

1970 to 1990 called and they don't miss you, at all...

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I by no means consider Wisconsin to be a powerhouse or an elite college football team but they are consistently in the top 25 year after year. They are above a "middle tier" team. And I wouldnt consider Northwestern to be a tier 2 team.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good past 10 years? That's an odd place to stop considering Wisconsin won the Rose Bowl 13 and 14 years ago.

Putting Wisconsin in the same bucket as Iowa and NW is ludicrous. NW had a good couple years in the 90s with Darnell Autry, was decent last year and looks good this year. When did they last win a bowl game? Any bowl game?

Real tiers in the B1G:

Tier 1 - Ohio State

Tier 2 - Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin

Tier 3 - MSU, Iowa, Northwestern

Tier 4 - Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota

Wisconsin has less history than the other Tier 2 teams but more recent success. If you want to make Wisconsin "Tier 2b" on account of that, fine, but they're not in the Iowa/MSU/NW camp.

Why is 10 weird? It's a nice round number and the basis of our mathematics.

While I won't necessarily agree with your tiers, they do have merit. I think mine is more of an "all-time" while yours is based solely on recent years (hence why I disagree at putting Ohio State all by themselves).

Why is putting Wisconsin with Iowa and Northwestern ludicrous? Between Iowa and Wisconsin they have the more recent BCS bowl win (the 2010 Orange vs 2000 Rose) and between Wisconsin and Northwestern I would put Wisconsin at the top of that middle tier and Northwestern at the bottom. Again, it's more of convience of math in that I can break the Big Ten into 3 equal sized tiers.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, they were quite forgettable....

So you are forgetting Michigan making the Rose Bowl 3 out of 4 years and winning the Sugar Bowl..........roger.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are forgetting Michigan making the Rose Bowl 3 out of 4 years and winning the Sugar Bowl..........roger.

How many of those Rose Bowls did they win? In fact, what is Michigan's all time record in the Rose Bowl, quite stellar I'd imagine, right?