• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why do the Pats

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they followed the rules and you have an issue with it. OK fine.

Now list which rules they are supposed to follow and which ones they are not.

Those three plays aren't new to football, they have been around for decades. Brady is right, the Ravens should maybe study the rules a bit more.

Read what I've stated. It's about benefitting from the rules and playing the rules in a corrupt manner to gain an edge. Things are not always black and white living in the gray isn't always a good thing. There are several variables like intent to consider

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the morons that are on here whining about the officials supposedly being confused, here is the actual rule.

"Article 1 An offensive player wearing the number of an ineligible pass receiver (50–79 and 90–99) is permitted to line up in the position of an eligible pass receiver (1–49 and 80–89), and an offensive player wearing the number of an eligible pass receiver is permitted to line up in the position of an ineligible pass receiver, provided that he immediately reports the change in his eligibility status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team.

He must participate in such eligible or ineligible position as long as he is continuously in the game, but prior to each play he must again report his status to the Referee, who will inform the defensive team. The game clock shall not be stopped, and the ball shall not be put in play until the Referee takes his normal position."

The Referee does not have to allow for the defense to identify who is who. On these three plays the player in question was already on the field so opportunity to substitue doesn't apply.

The player reported he was ineligable, the ref immediately announced it over the PA system. The ref pointed to the player, and on one of the plays even specifically told the Ravens that they don't have to cover said player since he is ineligable.

Nothing shady by the Pats. Refs were not confused and understood it perfectly.

Harbaugh was out coached, plain and simple.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't chess or tiddlywinks. Pats haters are gonna be haters. I give up!

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read what I've stated. It's about benefitting from the rules and playing the rules in a corrupt manner to gain an edge. Things are not always black and white living in the gray isn't always a good thing. There are several variables like intent to consider

What the heck are you talking about? They lined the offense up as the rules state they have to and ran a play. There is nothing corrupt about it.

It's not even anything new, teams line up players out of their position all the time. Ravens just weren't prepaired for it.

Officials understood it completely, but it's not their job to coach.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't chess or tiddlywinks. Pats haters are gonna be haters. I give up!

It's simply amazing to me how ignorant so many fans are, willfully or otherwise.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think instead of worrying about the Pats' formation, Harbaugh should instead be worrying about how he blew two 14 point leads and caused his team to give up 15.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate the pats :noidea: I have no feelings when it comes to them as a team. I just question their practices and their history of benefitting from the system on several occasions. I see it as an * to their success. Any other opinions, rebuttals etc..... I actually hate Denver I'm a raiders fan but have a lot if respect for the broncos and manning for his work ethic, integrity and skill

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't hate the pats :noidea: I have no feelings when it comes to them as a team. I just question their practices and their history of benefitting from the system on several occasions. I see it as an * to their success. Any other opinions, rebuttals etc..... I actually hate Denver I'm a raiders fan but have a lot if respect for the broncos and manning for his work ethic, integrity and skill

No you hate the Pats, otherwise you wouldn't have an issue with the plays in question, since they followed the rules.:lame:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trolled!

5 pages of living under the bridge.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you hate the Pats, otherwise you wouldn't have an issue with the plays in question, since they followed the rules.:lame:

Not just the plays in question the big pictures. They have a history of shady practices and benefiting from the league. No hate :pound: seems to be a common response and deflection. Serious rebuttals and discussion please. Thank you

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just the plays in question the big pictures. They have a history of shady practices and benefiting from the league. No hate :pound: seems to be a common response and deflection. Serious rebuttals and discussion please. Thank you

Sure, except you used a situation that in no way is shady as your example.:lame:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or a better way to describe it, is that you hate the Pats, and also don't know the rules.

What's really amazing, and interesting no one in the media seems to be talking about, is how did an entire defense not understand who is eligible. Especially at the NFL level.

Even more amazing is that once they knew they were confused they didn't check out of the called defense to one of their base defenses. In this instance checking to a zone would have covered them since it wouldn't be necessary to know who is eligible.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, BB should change that gray hoodie, it makes him look like as thug.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or a better way to describe it, is that you hate the Pats, and also don't know the rules.

What's really amazing, and interesting no one in the media seems to be talking about, is how did an entire defense not understand who is eligible. Especially at the NFL level.

Even more amazing is that once they knew they were confused they didn't check out of the called defense to one of their base defenses. In this instance checking to a zone would have covered them since it wouldn't be necessary to know who is eligible.

And this is where your reply is flawed in several areas. If you read the topic and question is not subject to one game or specific play. It's about the patriots body if work as well as several examples if benefitting from and playing the system with the wrong intentions. Two this is not about hate or bias I'm a raiders fan. I don't hate the patriots I hate the broncos. Truth is there was a time I had respect for the pats " Doug Flutie" . I hate the broncos yet I can respect Payton's body of work die to how he has played the game with integrity. If this was about hate or trolling it would be geared toward Denver. I am posing a valid debate but I'm only getting deflections, excuses and very defensive replies which is a portion of the OT. I'm hoping to get a serious response, opinion or rebuttal to the question I have posed in response to a topic based on facts and a prior history. So how have the patriots not benefitted from or not used the nfl rules on purpose to directly or indirectly give themselves and advantage or benefit from them?how is their run or Brady's legacy not questionable?what effect do you think these practices have in the integrity of the league ? All I have seen are replies geared toward me rather than the topic and my views through observation. For what it's worth if it was the raiders I would want others questioning it. For the integrity if the team and the NFL. I wouldn't feel right turning a blind eye and being complacent

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's part of the game and within the rules. Part of football particularly at the highest level is about disguising your intentions in order to gain an advantage over your opponent. It's not shady or trickery. It's part of the game and within the rules.

I think Harbaugh is an excellent coach but in this case he was caught off-guard and rather than correct the situation he burdened his team with a 15 yard penalty.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amazing isn't it?

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me one, shame on me
Fool me twice, run on the field and yell at the officials, get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty and than blame the other team and/or the refs for your screwup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What BB did was legal.

Here's the thing - there's absolutely NOTHING stopping other teams from doing it to him.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, BB should change that gray hoodie, it makes him look like as thug.

I couldn't relate to him as a "thug" that metaphor would be more fitting if something like the saints with bountygate. I think the principle of my statement and the topic is eluding you. You don't have to blatantly break rules to be doing something wrong. I actually already covered this through a much more comparable metaphor earlier. If a criminal works the system flaws because their are gray areas and loop holes does it make what they have fine any less wrong? I'm also discussing the whole. They got off easy in spygate the saints took a much harder hit. And benefited from events suck as the tuck rule amongst a long list if questionable calls and non calls. I can't stand the 9ers but what they accomplished as well as Montana was something special and they did it the right way. They did it with integrity, hard work and skill

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's part of the game and within the rules. Part of football particularly at the highest level is about disguising your intentions in order to gain an advantage over your opponent. It's not shady or trickery. It's part of the game and within the rules.

I think Harbaugh is an excellent coach but in this case he was caught off-guard and rather than correct the situation he burdened his team with a 15 yard penalty.

As I said being within the rules does not mean you're not cheating the system as well as the fans of the sport