• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did 11 - 1 Alabama get picked over 12 - 1 Wisconsin?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the BCS bowl and Coach of the year — yeah.

Have you figured out the difference in CFB and NFL yet? Or do you need a further explanation?

:lol: @ counting a BCS bowl as being an accomplishment. Get your Boise St on!

And you are the only one who constantly brings up the NFL...on the college football forum.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a HC's job is to build and maintain a winning program then no coach has done a better job at the college ranks than Saban. I mean that's kind of painfully obvious. You have to be pretty much stupid to not see and agree with that.

Harbaugh isn't a horrible coach, but he's at least a second tier HC and will stay there until he wins a championship. There's a crowd at that level. Petersen is at that level at most. Harb's hasn't done shit even when he had the talent to do so and that's just a plain old fact. He's not alone.

Dabo has moved up to the top tier. Meyer is there despite a couple of underwhelming season finishes. Then who else is on that level? :noidea:

There have been a lot of retirements and other changing of the guards and most of the old top tier coaches are long gone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a HC's job is to build and maintain a winning program then no coach has done a better job at the college ranks than Saban. I mean that's kind of painfully obvious. You have to be pretty much stupid to not see and agree with that.

Harbaugh isn't a horrible coach, but he's at least a second tier HC and will stay there until he wins a championship. There's a crowd at that level. Petersen is at that level at most. Harb's hasn't done shit even when he had the talent to do so and that's just a plain old fact. He's not alone.

Dabo has moved up to the top tier. Meyer is there despite a couple of underwhelming season finishes. Then who else is on that level? :noidea:

There have been a lot of retirements and other changing of the guards and most of the old top tier coaches are long gone.

You must have missed where I said — he is a great coach........in the SEC. The Saban fans don’t like to be reminded of his record outside the SEC.

In the SEC, he is the best coach in football. In the B1G, he did less in 5 years than the coach he took over for and the coach at MSU right now. In the NFL, he was a sub .500 coach, who jumped ship back to his safe zone.

But in the SEC, with that conference footprint — he is a great coach. Take away that ‘level playing field’ and he is just another coach.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: @ counting a BCS bowl as being an accomplishment. Get your Boise St on!

And you are the only one who constantly brings up the NFL...on the college football forum.

When you take over a 1–11 team and in 4 years win a BCS Bowl, it is an accomplishment. Hell, Saban couldn’t win ANY bowl games in 5 years at MSU. But he is great in the SEC.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have missed where I said — he is a great coach........in the SEC. The Saban fans don’t like to be reminded of his record outside the SEC.

In the SEC, he is the best coach in football. In the B1G, he did less in 5 years than the coach he took over for and the coach at MSU right now. In the NFL, he was a sub .500 coach, who jumped ship back to his safe zone.

But in the SEC, with that conference footprint — he is a great coach. Take away that ‘level playing field’ and he is just another coach.
If that makes you feel better then stick with it.

He's the best coach in college football today. Period. There are no qualifiers needed on that. Flat out top coach in the game as it stands right now today.

If you need to put up other stuff to sleep better at night go for it. I won't stop you.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's the best coach in college football today. Period. There are no qualifiers needed on that. Flat out top coach in the game as it stands right now today.

If you need to put up other stuff to sleep better at night go for it. I won't stop you.

I just stated the truth. I do agree he is the best coach along side urban Meyer in CFB. Personally, what Meyer has done is more impressive to me. He has went undefeated in the MWC out west. Won 2 national titles at Florida in the South and won a NC at OSU in the Midwest. He has won regardless of location or conference.

Saban’s success is tied to one conference and one conference footprint.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you take over a 1–11 team and in 4 years win a BCS Bowl, it is an accomplishment. Hell, Saban couldn’t win ANY bowl games in 5 years at MSU. But he is great in the SEC.

Saban beat Ohio St twice, while Ohio St was ranked #1.

So apparently, beating Ohio St is harder than winning a BCS bowl game.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just stated the truth. I do agree he is the best coach along side urban Meyer in CFB. Personally, what Meyer has done is more impressive to me. He has went undefeated in the MWC out west. Won 2 national titles at Florida in the South and won a NC at OSU in the Midwest. He has won regardless of location or conference.

Saban’s success is tied to one conference and one conference footprint.
You are entirely obsessed with the SEC. I get it. They have dominated, or should we say Saban has dominated since going there. If just being in the SEC made you a top tier coach, then why aren't any others in that conference that high? Why wasn't the guy before Saban also a top tier world beater?

No one has won more titles. That's a fact. If you really want to harp on the SEC and the advantages, you have to accept the drawbacks such as well, there are other teams in the SEC with this so called advantage that they play each year.

Dominating college football isn't easy. There have been a handful of coaches EVER to do so. From ANYWHERE. He's it. All alone. At the top. Period. Meyer and Dabo are also top tier, but behind him and there isn't anyone with a reasonable argument to any of that.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bill Snyder has been the best Coach in college ftball for a very long time. Saban has the best program

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Snyder has been the best Coach in college ftball for a very long time. Saban has the best program
Um, no. Not even a little bit.

Longest tenured =/= best. No national championships. None. Zero. Zilch. Hasn't even won his conference in like 17 years.

Really way off the mark here IMO.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no. Not even a little bit.

Longest tenured =/= best. No national championships. None. Zero. Zilch. Hasn't even won his conference in like 17 years.

Really way off the mark here IMO.
He does more with his players than any other coach in football and it really isn't close. And they won the conference with Klein a few yrs ago

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More not winning championships? OK.

I guess I rate coaches a bit differently. To each his own.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this still a thread? I haven't seen anyone from Wisconsin, ohio state or Southern Cal complain recently ... moving on nothing to see here.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guessIna bit differently. To each his own.
Obviously. Coaching 3 star recruits to near top of a major conference is harder than winning a national championship at a blue blood imo

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously. Coaching 3 star recruits to near top of a major conference is harder than winning a national championship at a blue blood imo
'near top of conference' means winning their division twice in 17 years and not winning the conference at all over that span? :noidea:

Again, we just have very different definitions of these ideas. You just aren't going to sell me on your deal man. Not happening. There are plenty of middle of the road teams with 3* kids littered all over their rosters and some of them get hot now and then.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban beat Ohio St twice, while Ohio St was ranked #1.

So apparently, beating Ohio St is harder than winning a BCS bowl game.

Harbaugh beat #1 USC as a 42 point underdog. We’ve went they that stupidity, where you try to validate how mediocre Saban was in the B1G by posting a single game.

Keep grasping.:lol:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh beat #1 USC as a 42 point underdog. We’ve went they that stupidity, where you try to validate how mediocre Saban was in the B1G by posting a single game.

Keep grasping.:lol:

Wow, you just showed yourself as a hypocrite in a single post. Impressive.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I rate coaches a bit differently. To each his own.
It depends on if a person extracts the recruiting/talent factor from coaching or puts it in a separate category. If it is included in the equation, then Snyder isn't even close. If recruiting/talent isn't factored in, he is definitely one of the best.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are entirely obsessed with the SEC. I get it. They have dominated, or should we say Saban has dominated since going there. If just being in the SEC made you a top tier coach, then why aren't any others in that conference that high? Why wasn't the guy before Saban also a top tier world beater?

No one has won more titles. That's a fact. If you really want to harp on the SEC and the advantages, you have to accept the drawbacks such as well, there are other teams in the SEC with this so called advantage that they play each year.

Dominating college football isn't easy. There have been a handful of coaches EVER to do so. From ANYWHERE. He's it. All alone. At the top. Period. Meyer and Dabo are also top tier, but behind him and there isn't anyone with a reasonable argument to any of that.

Not at all obsessed with the SEC, they have, by far, the best conference footprint in all of CFB and Alabama has been the best team, by far. I just like to point out — the great coach in the SEC was at Michigan State for 5 years and never even won 10 games, never won a conference title, a division title, or even a single bowl game.

CFB is about location, location, location. It isn’t who the best coach is in CFB. It is who is the best recruiter and who can collect the most talent. It is why you see a coach like Saban, absolutely dominate at SEC schools, but in the B1G, he took a 6-6 team and in 4 years, they were still a 6-6 team. He had his one solid year and jumped to a better location.

Realistically — there are only about 10 schools who have a shot to win a national title in CFB. If you wonder which schools those are — look at the recruiting rankings. It is why it is hilarious to hear Saban cry about wanting a level playing field, when the CFB landscape looks like a roller coaster and Bama is one of the few teams at the top of the first hill. There is no such thing as a level playing field in CFB.

Hell — I know Washington fans think they have a legit shot at winning a national championship, but until you start signing top 10 recruiting classes on a regular basis, it isn’t happening. I believe one team in the last 15 years has averaged less than a top 10 class over the four year cycle when they won a national title — that was Auburn. So all you need is a Cam Newton at QB and average top 15 classes and you have a shot.

That’s also why you had someone respond that Bill Snyder is the best coach and Nick Saban is the best recruiter (or however he put it). I think Saban is a hell of a salesman and is great at getting the best players to play alongside each other, while convincing 5 star after 5 star after 5 star to play on special teams and wait their turn.

We got to see how he fared without the location of the south. Good coach? Sure. Great coach? No. What makes him great is a blank check at a blue blood school and the best high school recruits brought up on SEC football like it is a religion.