• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's Up For Some Mountain Lion Hunting?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska hunters could be targeting mountain lions by next winter - starherald.com: Local News: western nebraska, pine ridge, mountain lions, nebraska game and parks commission, chadron

Nebraska's first mountain lion hunting season could begin as early as next winter.
Surveys in western Nebraska indicate there is a large enough permanent cougar population in the Pine Ridge for a “limited harvest” there, said Sam Wilson, State Game and Parks carnivore manager.
An estimated 22 mountain lions live in the Pine Ridge area in northwest Nebraska. The actual population could be as low as 16 or as high as 37, Wilson said Friday.
The Nebraska Legislature approved a bill last year allowing for a mountain lion hunting season when Game and Parks approves. That could happen soon. The commission is expected to consider regulations governing a cougar season during its May 24 meeting in Chadron.
Mountain lions are native to Nebraska but vanished in the 1890s, when settlers and hunters poisoned or hunted them out of the state. The first confirmed sighting of a cougar in Nebraska in modern times was in 1991 in the Pine Ridge.
In addition to the Pine Ridge population, there have been 83 confirmed sightings of cougars elsewhere across Nebraska. Wilson said all male mountain lions seen outside the Panhandle probably aren't resident cats but those wandering after being kicked out of their home territory by a dominant male.
Cougars have roamed into eastern Nebraska and Iowa. Des Moines police killed a big cat near an elementary school in October. Monona County sheriff's deputies shot and killed a mountain lion treed in a pine near Blencoe in December 2011. Iowa has had about eight cougar sightings in the last 10 years.
During a commission meeting in Omaha, Wilson said big cats from South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado are recolonizing Nebraska.
“Mountain lions are walking back into Nebraska from neighboring states,'' he said. “That barbed-wire fence on the border does not stop a mountain lion.”
The first cougar kittens were documented in the Pine Ridge in 2007, indicating a resident population. No females or kittens have been documented outside of Nebraska's Panhandle, Wilson said.
Wilson conducted genetic surveys in the Pine Ridge and in the Niobrara River valley near Valentine to help wildlife biologists make informed management decisions. He used specially trained retrievers to scour ridges and creek bottoms for cougar scat, or feces, in 2010 and 2012.
The study helps researchers determine the gender of each cat and estimate the population size. Researchers also looked for parent and offspring relationships.
The samples identified 13 different mountain lions (eight male and five female, two of them breeding) in 2010. Last year's study found 15 individual cougars (six male and nine female). Five of the 2012 cats matched were the same cougars identified in earlier genetic tests.
Cougars are found in a variety of habitats but prefer rougher, wooded areas. The abundance of prey, especially deer, is considered the most essential component of cougar habitat.
Wilson said the Pine Ridge is Nebraska's best habitat for the big predators.
“It just looks like lions should be there,” he said. “It's lion paradise.”
But paradise burned last year, when wildfires struck about 33 percent of the Pine Ridge's suitable cougar habitat, Wilson said.
Biologists estimated that the pre-fire Pine Ridge habitat could support 27 cougars. In a worst-case scenario, the post-fire Pine Ridge is likely to support 18 cats, Wilson said. A similar impact was felt in the Niobrara valley. The area could support 14 mountain lions before last summer's wildfires. Now habitat there may support as few as 10.
The fires destroyed trees and other “ambush cover'' that mountain lions require to stalk deer, turkey and other prey, Wilson said.
Wildlife biologists plan to model Nebraska's potential regulations and season on South Dakota's. South Dakota has a large population of mountain lions in the Black Hills, immediately north of Nebraska's Pine Ridge.
South Dakota's cougar season is under way. It started Dec. 26 and ends March 31, or when a limit of 100 total mountain lions are taken, or when a limit of 70 females are taken.
Hunters had taken 23 total South Dakota cats as of Friday. Twelve were female.
Wilson said Nebraska wildlife biologists prefer a winter hunting season to avoid leaving dependent kittens in the field if a female cougar is killed.
Nebraskans are permitted to shoot a mountain lion if it's threatening people or attacking or trying to attack livestock. Cougars not threatening people or causing livestock losses are to be left undisturbed.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand how they get into Iowa from Nebraska.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many humans that couldn't swim across that current.....

I mean that shit is truckin' en sech. If I threw a dog in that I'd expect it to drown.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tellin ye guise...........the government is placing these cougars.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be quite entertaining to see one of them try to swim across that......

With the current and the channels. If you ever stop and look at that water it's constantly swirling. 'Tis why so many people have drowned in the mighty Mo.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The river is moving too fast to freeze on the Iowa/Nebraska border.

Was just a guess. I woulda thought that there are some points that are capable of freezing.

I'll just go with your theory that the government is placing them there... To control the sasquatch population.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a human can't swim across it easily, I don't expect an animal to be able to doggy paddle across it with ease......

Jest sayin.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always went along with the swimming theory for migration......but when you really think about it, I just don't know if it makes sense.

Animals are much smarter than humans when it comes to making decisions against nature. Most animals are going to look at the Missouri River and say "fuck that." They have instincts that tell them not to do it. Same reason you don't see animals falling off of cliffs and shit like that........they're not as dumb as humans.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you have to have mountains before you can have mountain lions??? :dhd:

How 'bout we rename the thread "Who's ready for a sandhill cougar hunt?" :lol:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is alot of people that think the DNR in Iowa is putting the mountain lions here to thin out the deer population. On a sidenote I actually did go mountain lion hunting in QWyoming about 20 years ago. That was some scary shit. When you are hunting an elk, mule deer, antelope, etc you arent to worried about it eating your face off.... LOL

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sister lives in Chadron on the edge of town. She was walking her dog a few months ago toward a field across the street from her house. Dog all of a sudden stopped and "tensed up". She stopped and looked herself and didn't see anything at first. Then saw something move...the lion stood up from the grass and walked away from her toward a treeline.

Scares the shit out of me. They always say you never see them until it's too late.

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Iowa cats, I saw a whitetail buck swim the Mizzou one time. Made it across to the SD side.

I think they try and fail too (just like us lol) as I've seen plenty of floaters while out there boating around.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been a lot of sitings up here in Northeast Nebraska.

My parents went out for a drive a couple years ago and saw one. It was standing right at the top of a hill in the middle of the road and then took off running into a field.

One of my best friends had something similar happen.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Jared Allen to hunt down those Lions?