• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's on your hockey Mount Rushmore?

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the first American player to reach the 1,000 point mark? I left him off in favor of putting a goalie in there but yes, he should probably be in there instead of Richter.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mount Rushmore of pests:

Chris Nilan
Bobby Clarke
Claude Lemieux
Ken Linseman

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mount Rushmore of pests:

Chris Nilan
Bobby Clarke
Claude Lemieux
Ken Linseman

I never considered Clarke a pest. He had the biggest badest team around him so I'm sure he felt he could get away with just about anything.

Darius Kasparaitis should be on that list though.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought about it, but didn't know who to take off. Do you remove the winningest coach in history (by a huge margin)? The 2nd winningest who also won 4 straight Stanley Cups? The only 3-time Jack Adams winner (he gets an extra Rushmore nod for his HHOF snubbing)? Or the guy who has the trophy named after him?

I'd probably take off Adams. Maybe Burns, but probably Adams. Having the trophy named after him isn't really a point in favour in my book and has always seemed to me to be more like an honour he got for sticking around so long and mostly for being one of the good old boys that always stuck up for the owners, but either way his coaching record just isn't impressive enough to be there ahead of Blake. I'm supposed to get all excited about a .512 career winning percentage? Hell, Blake won 87 more games while coaching in 50 fewer. I'll take the guy with 8 cups in 13 seasons over the guy with 3 in 20.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All time: Gretzky, Orr, Howe and Lemiux
Current: Ovi, Towes, Nash, Price

Canucks: McLean, Bure, Linden, Danny Sedin

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mt Rushmore of playoff underachievers:

Joe Thornton
Patrick Marleau
Joe Thornton
Patrick Marleau

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot Dale Hunter. Who could forget his role in that 1984 Good Friday Brawl. One of the best brawls I have ever seen live on TV back when they were showing NHL games on USA network, if I remember right.

I knew there was somebody I was leaving off the mountain.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a good coach to. This is coming from somebody who hates his guts for what he did to Turgeon in 1993.

Gotta disagree here. But if you want your team offense killed and lots of Tortorellaesque shot-blocking, he's your man.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree here. But if you want your team offense killed and lots of Tortorellaesque shot-blocking, he's your man.

Well Ovechkin might not have scored as many goals as he has this year, but the Capitals won more games than they have this year. I think Leonsis would disagree with you. He didn't want Hunter to leave.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ovechkin might not have scored as many goals as he has this year, but the Capitals won more games than they have this year. I think Leonsis would disagree with you. He didn't want Hunter to leave.

I wasn't talking about Ovechkin, which is why I said "team".

As far as Hunter "winning more games"... they had 107 points the year before Hunter, were on a 94 point pace (small sample) when Boudreau was fired, played at a 91 point pace under Hunter, and had a 97 point pace with Oates the year after after Hunter left. I'm not sure there's much of an argument to be made that they "won more games" with/because of Hunter.

As far as Leonsis' opinion, if the subject is business I'll probably consider him an expert. If the subject is hockey or hockey coaching I'm not sure why I should.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps might not have been as fun to watch, but they were structured well. His record in the OHL speaks for itself. The guy can coach. I'm not a fan of him as a player, but I don't doubt one bit his coaching ability. I think Washington was headed in the right direction under Hunter. We'll obviously never know how things might have turned out if he had chosen to stay.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps might not have been as fun to watch, but they were structured well. His record in the OHL speaks for itself. The guy can coach. I'm not a fan of him as a player, but I don't doubt one bit his coaching ability. I think Washington was headed in the right direction under Hunter. We'll obviously never know how things might have turned out if he had chosen to stay.

Personally I think that building an OHL team and coaching them is pretty different from coaching an NHL team. Handling pros isn't like handling kids.
I also think that part of Washington's problems during their decline have come from focusing on getting/keeping "gritty" players who "play the right way" without proper regard for whether or not those players are actually skilled. That seems like it only would have been worse with Hunter on the bench.