• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's OK with BJGE as RB?

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Of course it doesn't, but neither do who had the most catches last year, or who makes more money. It's random nonsense that people use to try and sound right. They play a similar style of run and push the pile, don't go down on first contact football. Only on this board do people think Michael Bush would have solved our RB situation. It would be the exact same situation it is now.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they should have signed both, and dumped B Scott:first:

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some interesting numbers, for those who say the Patriots didn't trust BJGE to catch the ball: In 2011, BJGE ran 153 pass routes and was targeted 17 times, averaging over 15 ypc. The "receiving back" Woodhead ran 272 pass routes, and was still only targeted 35 times. Fact is, Brady just doesn't throw to his RBs. Ridley and Faulk ran a combined 124 routes and were targeted only 14 times. Small sample size, but BJGE's 15 ypc led all RBs.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is purely conjecture, but maybe teams like the Pats who use the slot guy as much as they do don't need the backs as much....BJGE had a rep as a good pass blocker who picked up blitzes very well, another area where Benson was not so good....

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, the point is, there were no free agent RBs who were going to come in and be a great RB. Bust, BJGE, and even Benson are all similar in running style and are going to go out and average 3.8 ypc. Bush and BJGE have a nose for the endzone, which Benson doesn't.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course it doesn't, but neither do who had the most catches last year, or who makes more money. It's random nonsense that people use to try and sound right. They play a similar style of run and push the pile, don't go down on first contact football. Only on this board do people think Michael Bush would have solved our RB situation. It would be the exact same situation it is now.

I'm starting ti agree. I think BJGE might even be a better pass catcher than Arian Foster and Matt Forte.

He was targeted 17 times and only had what 12 catches? And you mean he wasnt even the best or most trusted pass catching rb on the roster? Yet you want us to believe he's as good as a guy who had some 600 yards receiving (off memory)?

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some interesting numbers, for those who say the Patriots didn't trust BJGE to catch the ball: In 2011, BJGE ran 153 pass routes and was targeted 17 times, averaging over 15 ypc. The "receiving back" Woodhead ran 272 pass routes, and was still only targeted 35 times. Fact is, Brady just doesn't throw to his RBs. Ridley and Faulk ran a combined 124 routes and were targeted only 14 times. Small sample size, but BJGE's 15 ypc led all RBs.

Morning Vance. Interesting read indeed!! I personally like our rb's,i think we'll be stronger at that position than people think. But thats just my opinion! lol :yo:

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes. Watch him catch passes. He does it with correct form and smoothly. He dropped close to the same percentage of balls that Bush did, though I hardly suspect you'd check on things that matter. Far easier to just look at raw numbers for you than to, you know, watch.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I literally can't think of one player during the Belichick-era who left the Pats and had any legitimate type success with a new team.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes. Watch him catch passes. He does it with correct form and smoothly. He dropped close to the same percentage of balls that Bush did, though I hardly suspect you'd check on things that matter. Far easier to just look at raw numbers for you than to, you know, watch.

Now, I know it's difficult for you to think analytically, but as number of attempts increase, you'd expect percentages to drop. This is true for QB completion %, RB rush per attempts, etc. The more it's done, the more it's expected and the more teams plan against it. On average, BJGE was getting 1 pass attempt a game. If your numbers are correct and their percentages are essentially equal, it bodes in favor of Bush.

Btw, I find it absolutely hilarious you're trying to argue for what your eyes tell you over what the actual stats tell you. In reality, you need both, but the weight of stats far outweighs that of the subjectively from making an opinion from something you see on a highlight reel.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Richard Seymour?

I thought of him, but anytime you can get a 1st rd draft pick for a 30 yr old DL on the last yr of his deal you have to take it. That deal is killing the Raiders right now so I wouldn't look at it as successful.

Vinateri was another player I was borderline about since he helped the Colts win a SB with clutch kicks. but he was a veteran, and they replaced him with a better, cheaper option

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asante Samuel made the probowl with the Eagles.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought of him, but anytime you can get a 1st rd draft pick for a 30 yr old DL on the last yr of his deal you have to take it. That deal is killing the Raiders right now so I wouldn't look at it as successful.

Vinateri was another player I was borderline about since he helped the Colts win a SB with clutch kicks. but he was a veteran, and they replaced him with a better, cheaper option

I think the important side to look at is the offense. The defenses were better in the past, but their offens(iv)e (system) just has a way of making players look better than they are. The same can't be said about the defense.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Asante Samuel made the probowl with the Eagles.

He had a great feel for jumping routes, but I don't think that he was a 10 million dollar a yr corner. the Pats had him on a rookie deal, franchised him for an extra season, and then let someone else overpay for him on the open market.

I might be giving the Pats the benefit of the doubt on these moved. But I doubt they're regretting them after the fact.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a great feel for jumping routes, but I don't think that he was a 10 million dollar a yr corner. the Pats had him on a rookie deal, franchised him for an extra season, and then let someone else overpay for him on the open market.

I might be giving the Pats the benefit of the doubt on these moved. But I doubt they're regretting them after the fact.

They should regret losing him. Their pass defense has been horrendous the last few years.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should regret losing him. Their pass defense has been horrendous the last few years.

Exactly. If you have watched their D the last few years, they would love to have him.