• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who would be a good fit for Fields?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Caleb is the better prospect and resets the rookie contract window. Can't see the Bears having the #1 pick two years in a row and don't pick QB while up against the 5th year option decision for Fields. The coaching changes are expected, but also have not occurred yet so....?
I'll admit I haven't looked at the draft yet. Caleb came into the season as a top shelf QB prospect but I haven't looked through to see how this rough year has impacted what people think of him. CBS has him as the #2 overall prospect so that means as a QB he is still above Fields as a prospect.

Fields' draft stock is likely going to have some recency bias to it. He didnt look great the other day. If he finishes the season strong then maybe someone throws a 2nd rounder at him. If he limps down the stretch I do think its probably closer to a 4th.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do clean house this spring, they need to get that next hire right (for either Fields or Caleb).
Totally agree.

Fields has talent, but Chicago was the worst possible spot for the kid. And I worry about any QB the Bears draft. This team needs some serious help.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree.

Fields has talent, but Chicago was the worst possible spot for the kid. And I worry about any QB the Bears draft. This team needs some serious help.
well there you go.

but hey...lets slam the OSU kid for what the Bears have been for all but two or three seasons

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields has a higher PR than these QB's.....

Burrow
Lawrence
Stafford

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midrange is 12-20
Lol no
Statistically...

Passing
Passer rating: #13
Net yards/pass attempt (includes sacks): #24
Passing success rate: #26

Rushing (of 41 QBs w/10+ attempts)
Yards/attempt: #1 QB
Fewest fumbles/attempt: #15
Rushing success rate: #13

All told, midrange with upside. Passer rating has improved every year. The question is whether his situational understanding can get better.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he finishes the season strong then maybe someone throws a 2nd rounder at him. If he limps down the stretch I do think its probably closer to a 4th.
That sounds right.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burrow
Lawrence
Stafford

That's neat and all, but tell me if you think the Bengals, Jaguars or Rams would call the Bears and trade straight up?

Let's turn it around, the Bears call them and ask for any of them straight up. What would the GM of the Bengals, Jaguars or Bears do?

a) Ask if this is a crank call.
b) Laugh hysterically
c) Just hang up
d) Tell them it's not April 1st, but good try
e) all of the above

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sit for a few years would require him to buy in beyond next year's contract without a 5th year option or market extension. There are NFL teams with starters far worse than Fields (and he has endured terrible coaching in Chicago). He's a better starting QB than what many teams are trotting out there each week in 2023 (and more of a known entity than the rookie QBs beyond the top 2).

Fields: 8 games, 198 py/g, 64.4%, 7.1 ypa, 1.5 pTD/g, .75 INT/g, 50 ry/g, 5.2 ypc, (1 rTD, 2 fum on the year)
Lamar: 12 games, 218 py/g, 68.3%, 7.8 ypa, 1.1 pTD/g, .42 INT/g, 48 ry.g, 5.1 ypc (5 rTD, 5 fum on the year)

Fields' stats aren't different enough from Lamar's to support the idea that he's not good.
There's no point arguing that Fields is better than the back-ups that have replaced injured QBs who were starting in Week 1. Fields is throwing a high proportion of his passes either behind the LOS or very close to it. That isn't a sustainable offensive scheme for a team with playoff ambitions. It's not about duplicating another player's stats. It's about playing football in a way that puts pressure on the opponents. Jackson pressures opponents, Fields does not. Fields can play in this league, but so can a bunch of players at a similar non-top 20 level. Teams without a top 20 QB, (or a rookie with potential), have their pick of these players every offseason. I've seen more quality play from both Darnold and Wentz than i've seen from Fields over the last 2 or 3 years. I don't hate the guy, but he's the wrong side of the Andy Dalton line.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the conversation but the question was "Who would be a good fit for Fields" not What is the best return for the Bears in a trade of Fields.
The teams with the most playing talent.

I don't think the Eagles or 49ers would want him, I'm not sure even they could win consistently with him or that he's good enough to beat out their current back-up.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sit for a few years would require him to buy in beyond next year's contract without a 5th year option or market extension. There are NFL teams with starters far worse than Fields (and he has endured terrible coaching in Chicago). He's a better starting QB than what many teams are trotting out there each week in 2023 (and more of a known entity than the rookie QBs beyond the top 2).

Fields: 8 games, 198 py/g, 64.4%, 7.1 ypa, 1.5 pTD/g, .75 INT/g, 50 ry/g, 5.2 ypc, (1 rTD, 2 fum on the year)
Lamar: 12 games, 218 py/g, 68.3%, 7.8 ypa, 1.1 pTD/g, .42 INT/g, 48 ry.g, 5.1 ypc (5 rTD, 5 fum on the year)

Fields' stats aren't different enough from Lamar's to support the idea that he's not good.
Fields career had been appreciably worse than a guy like Gardner Minschew who is seen as a elite level backup or below average starter

Which is pretty much right where Id put Fields right now although likely not quite on Minschews level

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically...

Passing
Passer rating: #13
Net yards/pass attempt (includes sacks): #24
Passing success rate: #26

Rushing (of 41 QBs w/10+ attempts)
Yards/attempt: #1 QB
Fewest fumbles/attempt: #15
Rushing success rate: #13

All told, midrange with upside. Passer rating has improved every year. The question is whether his situational understanding can get better.
Dumbest detailed post of the day, wil.

What do you win?

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burrow
Lawrence
Stafford

Burrow 365 attempts
Lawrence 370 attempts
Stafford 342 attempts

Fields 222 attempts

Considering the number of times he's thrown, I don't even think he'd have enough to qualify to be on the passing leader board.

If he gets 120-150 more throws this season, we can then see how he stacks up.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow 365 attempts
Lawrence 370 attempts
Stafford 342 attempts

Fields 222 attempts

Considering the number of times he's thrown, I don't even think he'd have enough to qualify to be on the passing leader board.

If he gets 120-150 more throws this season, we can then see how he stacks up.

If he gets 120 more throws, Bears' fans will rejoice at the 60 more WR screens.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no point arguing that Fields is better than the back-ups that have replaced injured QBs who were starting in Week 1. Fields is throwing a high proportion of his passes either behind the LOS or very close to it. That isn't a sustainable offensive scheme for a team with playoff ambitions. It's not about duplicating another player's stats. It's about playing football in a way that puts pressure on the opponents. Jackson pressures opponents, Fields does not. Fields can play in this league, but so can a bunch of players at a similar non-top 20 level. Teams without a top 20 QB, (or a rookie with potential), have their pick of these players every offseason. I've seen more quality play from both Darnold and Wentz than i've seen from Fields over the last 2 or 3 years. I don't hate the guy, but he's the wrong side of the Andy Dalton line.

when has Sam Darnold ever looked like a top 20 qb

come on bruh

completely ignoring the obvious running mismatch Fields still averages more yards per attempt, yards per catch, td pct, passer rating and completion pct.

I'd love for Cleveland to have him for 3.4 million as a backup in a vacuum and so would many teams but his presence would be somewhat distracting. Also the whole big payday for year 5 is problematic.

He will be starting somewhere next year or he will be the Jets backup or something similar. Bookmark this if you like.