• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who would be a good fit for Fields?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore was a great WR. He would have led the NFL in receiving yards in '95 if the Rams hadn't force-fed Bruce for 200 yards in a meaningless last game of the season.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore was a great WR. He would have led the NFL in receiving yards in '95 if the Rams hadn't force-fed Bruce for 200 yards in a meaningless last game of the season.

I like me some Herman Moore but better than CJ seems outrageous

That said I can see some argument to be made that CJ had some hollow stats.

But as a prototype for WR its hard to find a better one. Jerry was just a freak of nature.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But as a prototype for WR its hard to find a better one. Jerry was just a freak of nature.
to be fair.
Herman Moore was no slouch in the prototypical ideal WR stature either.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Football player vs superior athlete. I wouldn't have picked Moore over Johnson either but I can understand the argument.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staff is better without CJ.

Who was not close to top 5 all time. Just a quitter who was an elite athlete. Herman Moore > Calvin.
Shocked Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dead serious.

First person to post a pic of CJ catching a game winning touchdowns gets a cookie. (Nobody can collect said cookie)

Dude had one huge season. Got 200+ targets out of Staff’s 725+ and the team won 4 games.

Had no passion, is not a winner.

Not a chance he’d be my first Lions receiver all time. Might not be my second.
I would argue 100 1,700 and 16 TD’s is another huge season but maybe I am the crack whore.

Look at those rosters. A blind man that knows nothing about football could have built better teams than that FO.

There are a ton of factors that make a QB successful and unfortunately the franchise AND coaching are two extremely important factors.

I do think Stafford would have been better if he played for another franchise but I think the same about CJ and he still put up huge numbers on shit teams.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would argue 100 1,700 and 16 TD’s is another huge season but maybe I am the crack whore.

Look at those rosters. A blind man that knows nothing about football could have built better teams than that FO.

There are a ton of factors that make a QB successful and unfortunately the franchise AND coaching are two extremely important factors.

I do think Stafford would have been better if he played for another franchise but I think the same about CJ and he still put up huge numbers on shit teams.
What constitutes better?

He was in the perfect place to make awful decisions for a decade with no threat of being benched. While putting up stupid numbers in losses.

Johnson caught 100 once. Same amount of times he caught 60% of his targets. You’re rounding up for effect.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be fair.
Herman Moore was no slouch in the prototypical ideal WR stature either.
Caught more of his targets than CJ.

Never led the league in drops.

Caught 100 passes three years in a row.

All Pro the same amount of times.

But Johnson had a stupid nickname. And impressive biceps.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What constitutes better?

He was in the perfect place to make awful decisions for a decade with no threat of being benched. While putting up stupid numbers in losses.

Johnson caught 100 once. Same amount of times he caught 60% of his targets. You’re rounding up for effect.
My fault. He only had two top 15 receiving yards single seasons in NFL history. TWO.

You know who else did it twice? Nobody. Marvin Harrison is a close 2nd and he played 4 more seasons.

Like I said, he had a shit team around him. That means you can double or triple him more often. It isn’t a coincidence Tyreek is having his best season of his career with Waddle on the other side.

Moss had Carter. He had Gronk and Welker. Tim Brown.
Rice had Owens. He had Tim Brown. Taylor.
Harrison had Wayne. Clark.

Not saying he is better or close to those guys but I think he would have been even better on a legit franchise.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fault. He only had two top 15 receiving yards single seasons in NFL history. TWO.

You know who else did it twice? Nobody. Marvin Harrison is a close 2nd and he played 4 more seasons.

Like I said, he had a shit team around him. That means you can double or triple him more often. It isn’t a coincidence Tyreek is having his best season of his career with Waddle on the other side.

Not saying he is better or close to those guys but I think he would have been even better on a legit franchise.
CJ had one season with more yards than Moores career high.

And Detroit won 4 games that year.

Great player in garbage time, when it doesn’t matter.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvin Harrison DID have multiple top 15 yardage seasons.

So did Rice.

Then other guys knocked them down the list.

Antonio Brown still does. 5th and 12th. Hill will by the end of the month.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically it is not even a debate Stafford was better without CJ. The only stat that didn't improve was td%.

is that a factor of CJ or that Stafford improved? More likely the latter no?

or that they made a minimal investment in the rest of the roster? if you look at 2011 to 12 they had a shit RB (who the fuck was Mikel Leshoure?) and the only difference I see is that Burleson got hurt while CJ went on to have an all pro season with Titus Young as his 2?

Point being some of Stafford early issues can definitely be considered roster makeup and to round this conversation back to Fields he's a bit of a victim of that as well. I'm not saying he's going to have a Stafford esque career by any stretch but there is enough there that at least gives Poles pause.

I won't blame Chicago for either decision. Resetting the clock makes sense as does taking several top picks (because they'd be nuts not to trade down on one of those) and building a better football team.

Regardless of what they do they need to take Getsy behind the barn and shoot him. Anyone who's made his money on a top 10 all time qb gets nothing from me.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't win a playoff game for 13 years. He did have a nice 3rd season and his next 2 were mediocre at best. He didn't really hit any kind of consistent stride until his 7th season in the league

all that said

He's only won a playoff game in one year of his career.

He also is the active leader in come from behind wins and 6th all time.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also is the active leader in come from behind wins and 6th all time.

That would track considering the amount of starts he has.

And again given this is a Fields thread...why are we comparing him to a qb with 15 years in the league on a cumulative level?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is that a factor of CJ or that Stafford improved? More likely the latter no?

or that they made a minimal investment in the rest of the roster? if you look at 2011 to 12 they had a shit RB (who the fuck was Mikel Leshoure?) and the only difference I see is that Burleson got hurt while CJ went on to have an all pro season with Titus Young as his 2?

Point being some of Stafford early issues can definitely be considered roster makeup and to round this conversation back to Fields he's a bit of a victim of that as well. I'm not saying he's going to have a Stafford esque career by any stretch but there is enough there that at least gives Poles pause.

I won't blame Chicago for either decision. Resetting the clock makes sense as does taking several top picks (because they'd be nuts not to trade down on one of those) and building a better football team.

Regardless of what they do they need to take Getsy behind the barn and shoot him. Anyone who's made his money on a top 10 all time qb gets nothing from me.
He got better because the offense called plays where more players are the primary target.

Leshoure was a second round pick that tore his achilles in practice before he ever played. We never got to see what he could have been as he was never the same.

Titus Young was an absolutely amazing talent he just took all his head injuries before he put up the stats. Before he went insane he was looking to be something amazing. Yes, the talent was lacking overall. However, CJs last year he had Golden Tate and Eric Ebron around him. The year after it was the same, but CJ was replaced with Marvin Jones and Anquan Boldin. Stafford still got better.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would track considering the amount of starts he has.

And again given this is a Fields thread...why are we comparing him to a qb with 15 years in the league on a cumulative level?

So you're saying it's only because he has a certain amount of starts lol? No respect.

Someone else brought Stafford up as a comparison for some unknown reason. Not remotely a similar player, other than playing his early years on a losing team.

Fields is a middle of the road QB that can run and his team is not winning with him. His 3 wins this year (3-9) came against the worst defense in the league (Washington), the Vikings with Dobbs at QB, and this past week vs the struggling Lions who have been giving up 30 ppg on average for the past 5 weeks (all to teams with losing records). Does he still have upside? Sure. Should the Bears commit to him financially to find out when they have the #1 overall pick dropped into their laps? I don't think so. Trade him elsewhere that is looking for a QB, but out of reasonable trade-up range in the draft.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Woh dude* you are mixing and matching timeframes now. What a load of crap just to argue against a guy that knows more than you about the Lions.

*dudette?? Could explain the behavior.