• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who wins: Virginia Tech at Ohio State

Who wins?

• Total voters

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A side from Wamu and Shane, the jimmies seem rustled.

da ohio state calls plenty of their stuff "Ohio" and then fans get huffy when somebody trollingly calls them ohio? Butthurt and angry is no way to go through life man. It validates Hoke's entire premise, it's to bother you all.

The hell if I let some second rate coach rustle my jimmies. I guess this is one of the few things he did right.

Eh I assumed some of you nuts were grads, substitute you/r for da ohio state alums or the institution itself.

Nope didn't go to school there, just a fan. Although some of my family graduated from OSU.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A side from Wamu and Shane, the jimmies seem rustled.

da ohio state calls plenty of their stuff "Ohio" and then fans get huffy when somebody trollingly calls them ohio? Butthurt and angry is no way to go through life man. It validates Hoke's entire premise, it's to bother you all.

The hell if I let some second rate coach rustle my jimmies. I guess this is one of the few things he did right.

Eh I assumed some of you nuts were grads, substitute you/r for da ohio state alums or the institution itself.

Doesn't bother me one bit if someone wants to look stupid calling Ohio State by the name of another University. If someone wants to look ignorant that's on them.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I've seen Ohio State run the I-formation in 2 years. :scratch:

My guess is that there will be a lot of read options and the majority of those will get stuffed at the line, especially early. Barrett just isn't the dynamic threat that Braxton was. Gonna have to hope for some good defensive and special teams play to get the offense into good position. Barrett is a decent passer if he has time, but the O-Line barely gave him time vs Navy so I'm not expecting VT's defensive line to be any easier to block.

Not sure what the head scratcher is all about, but why not with an unproven QB that will be facing one of the nations best secondary's. This is a different team than two years ago. Yeah, its basic football at its finest, but I don't see how we can't run off tackle. Not to mention it allows for an easy quick dump off options to the TE. I would love to see them run a two TE with a jumbo package like the Seahawks. Its not like Herman looked like a offensive mastermind calling plays last game.

Not to worry the O-line will look better this game.

Would love to see some old school Split T formations on a couple plays. Not really believe anyone other than BAMA could get away with running those old plays, but would be fun.:nod:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to look at it like it is. Does VT have anyone with experience or that is a threat on offense. It might be worse than it has been in the past and they had Thomas at least. Now their defense is always stout, they will need lights out D and special teams to step up.

The new guys VT has at the skill spots are heads and tails above the experienced guys VT had last year. VT has 2 true freshman running backs that are 1 and 2 with the 1 and 2 from last year being 3 and 4 now. They have a true freshman WR that overtook every wideout on the roster to move to #1 and have 3 TEs that are all dangerous in the passing game. The new QB Michael Brewer is a redshirt Junior.

If VTs Oline plays well this offense will play well. If they don't then it will still be an improvement over last year, but will still look subpar.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new guys VT has at the skill spots are heads and tails above the experienced guys VT had last year. VT has 2 true freshman running backs that are 1 and 2 with the 1 and 2 from last year being 3 and 4 now. They have a true freshman WR that overtook every wideout on the roster to move to #1 and have 3 TEs that are all dangerous in the passing game. The new QB Michael Brewer is a redshirt Junior.

If VTs Oline plays well this offense will play well. If they don't then it will still be an improvement over last year, but will still look subpar.

sounds to me that the winner will be the tallest midget in the battle between 2 questionable OLs.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds to me that the winner will be the tallest midget in the battle between 2 questionable OLs.

Very well could be.

How VT's offensive line responds to Ohio State's defensive line and how Ohio State's freshman QB responds to VT's secondary will determine the game IMO.

I think VT needs to win the turnover battle to win, and that is most definitely a possibility.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well could be.

How VT's offensive line responds to Ohio State's defensive line and how Ohio State's freshman QB responds to VT's secondary will determine the game IMO.

I think VT needs to win the turnover battle to win, and that is most definitely a possibility.
-=
I think for OSU to win, they need to have an effective running game. If OSU relies on JT to beat VT with the pass, it is over. VT wins,

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-=
I think for OSU to win, they need to have an effective running game. If OSU relies on JT to beat VT with the pass, it is over. VT wins,

Ohio State has a very good defensive line. If they control the game, it should keep VT drives short and keep Ohio State in decent field position all night. I agree that Ohio State needs a decent ground game to win, but you can say that about just about any team w/o a heisman hopeful at QB.

Turnovers and special teams may determine this one.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the head scratcher is all about, but why not with an unproven QB that will be facing one of the nations best secondary's. This is a different team than two years ago. Yeah, its basic football at its finest, but I don't see how we can't run off tackle. Not to mention it allows for an easy quick dump off options to the TE. I would love to see them run a two TE with a jumbo package like the Seahawks. Its not like Herman looked like a offensive mastermind calling plays last game.

Not to worry the O-line will look better this game.

Would love to see some old school Split T formations on a couple plays. Not really believe anyone other than BAMA could get away with running those old plays, but would be fun.:nod:

Because it isn't even in the playbook. Ohio State never goes under center anymore, so there is 0% chance of seeing the I-Formation.

We will be seeing a steady diet of pistol handoffs, QB option reads, and some of those shovel pass sweeps I'm sure. I'm not advocating chucking the football based on what I saw last week, just thought it was odd you were sure the Buckeyes would line up in a formation they don't even run anymore all game long.:noidea:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State has a very good defensive line. If they control the game, it should keep VT drives short and keep Ohio State in decent field position all night. I agree that Ohio State needs a decent ground game to win, but you can say that about just about any team w/o a heisman hopeful at QB.

Turnovers and special teams may determine this one.

It is a bit bigger in this game. Freshman QB against a talented and experienced secondary. Plus VT has some guy named Bud. I hear he is pretty good at dialing up a blitz package to confuse a green OL.

Acrux

THEE Real Authoritay ©
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked if OSU is going to focus on the run to tire out VT DL, and then see what may be available in the passing lanes. OSU has enough backs to keep fresh, long as more first downs are more productive than not they probably wont stray to far from doing that, meaning VT secondary will be moot until they press and gamble daring OSU to look for the pass first. If anything you'll see more screen attempts to stretch the D of VT in the beginning. I cant see OSU being comfortable enough yet to make their playbook rocket science.

If OSU can avoid starting out slow, and TO's I think the home field is what will give them enough to get a W.

This game could be one crazy play away from flipping everything upside down though.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bit bigger in this game. Freshman QB against a talented and experienced secondary. Plus VT has some guy named Bud. I hear he is pretty good at dialing up a blitz package to confuse a green OL.

I'm worried about that quite a bit. O-Line looked atrocious against Navy, I can only imagine what they will look like vs a talented front and complicated scheme.

I'm hoping that our D keeps VT locked down and we can get a few turnovers, because I don't see the offense able to manufacture any kind of sustained long drives. Gonna have to either get lucky with a couple huge plays, get some turnovers, or win the field position battle early and often.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be shocked if OSU is going to focus on the run to tire out VT DL, and then see what may be available in the passing lanes. OSU has enough backs to keep fresh, long as more first downs are more productive than not they probably wont stray to far from doing that, meaning VT secondary will be moot until they press and gamble daring OSU to look for the pass first. If anything you'll see more screen attempts to stretch the D of VT in the beginning. I cant see OSU being comfortable enough yet to make their playbook rocket science.

Bud agrees

Last edited by a moderator:

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say much else though

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't say much else though

I believe they have been extremely quiet with the media for months because of this game. I've never seen VT as quiet in the off-season as they have been this year.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it isn't even in the playbook. Ohio State never goes under center anymore, so there is 0% chance of seeing the I-Formation.

We will be seeing a steady diet of pistol handoffs, QB option reads, and some of those shovel pass sweeps I'm sure. I'm not advocating chucking the football based on what I saw last week, just thought it was odd you were sure the Buckeyes would line up in a formation they don't even run anymore all game long.:noidea:

Again, I'm saying why not. Never said I was sure. Although you are making a statement saying it isn't even in the playbook. Do you know Tom Herman..? If so you might want to mention that his option read looked like shit last week.

It just doesn't make sense to keep the same playbook we had with Braxton. I'm sure we will see most of the plays you mentioned which is problematic to me because Bud will be looking for this. Maybe they will open the playbook up, but I'm not seeing it with VT.

BTW. I don't believe the line is as bad as many including ESPN is saying.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't sound like confidence.

"Bud, you confident in our D?"

3iWLxq4.gif

I'd say he's pretty darn confident.