• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will texas maybe Get in a Trade?

: Your picks?

• Josh Johnson

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Cliff Lee

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Zack Greinke

• Cole Hamels

• Matt Garza

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Non of the above

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am perfectly content with Holland or Oswalt come playoff time if we acquire someone

Holland yes, Oswalt no. If our playoff rotation includes Oswalt you can kiss the WS goodbye.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holland yes, Oswalt no. If our playoff rotation includes Oswalt you can kiss the WS goodbye.

I don't agree though I see what you're saying, Oswalt has shown signs of coming around in his last couple starts, I think by playoff time one of Holland and/or Oswalt will be ready to go and have worked out all the kinks, and could just as well be Oswalt as Holland at this point

My money is on Holland, but I wouldn't be shocked if Oswalt was there either come playoff time...

The only thing I know is it won't be Colby Lewis at this point, nothing else is for certain at this point

1502tuley

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't agree though I see what you're saying, Oswalt has shown signs of coming around in his last couple starts, I think by playoff time one of Holland and/or Oswalt will be ready to go and have worked out all the kinks, and could just as well be Oswalt as Holland at this point

My money is on Holland, but I wouldn't be shocked if Oswalt was there either come playoff time...

The only thing I know is it won't be Colby Lewis at this point, nothing else is for certain at this point

:(

:Cry:

I fear losing Lewis is going to really hurt us. We are going to have to rely on some really inexperienced arms, and that is scarry.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fact of the matter, you're always giving up a future something or another when you make trades like this, whether it be Martin, Olt, Profar, Perez, etc...

Martin for a rental... No way.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball Time in Arlington: A Texas Rangers Blog - Home - Josh Johnson, The Rangers, And The Trade That CouldBe

Great piece on going after Josh Johnson and how it might be cost effective, prospect wise

Quick synopsis: They have a gaping hole at 3B with no prospects in the near future, we have Olt

Josh Johnson has injury concerns long-term but has been healthy this year and is owed 13+ million next year, cost goes down, and we can cut bait after next year if we so choose (and we should)

Just traded Hanley Ramirez for peanuts, Olt + Neil Ramirez, Justin Grimm or whoever would be a vastly superior package than they got for HanRam

So is if the cost is Olt + any pitcher they want not named Perez/Buckel, do you do it?

Even I say in a heart beat, and I have long been meh on Johnson due to his injury concerns

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but the premise of not trading quality for a rental doesn't make sense

We're hurting for of depth. That's one piece I don't trade.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're hurting for of depth. That's one piece I don't trade.

If we trade Martin, there needs to be a CF coming back.

Thus, Lee+Victorino for a package makes sense. Heck we could ask for Ruiz as well and make this a blockbuster. It would cost us a package like Moreland+YT+Leonys+Olt+Perez+Odor and probably more. But if we could get a TORP, a starting CF and a starting C, I'd do it. Move Nap to first and worry about a 1B next year. We would also probably need to ship murphy or Gentry away for something since we don't need another OF on the roster.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade Martin, there needs to be a CF coming back.

Thus, Lee+Victorino for a package makes sense. Heck we could ask for Ruiz as well and make this a blockbuster. It would cost us a package like Moreland+YT+Leonys+Olt+Perez+Odor and probably more. But if we could get a TORP, a starting CF and a starting C, I'd do it. Move Nap to first and worry about a 1B next year. We would also probably need to ship murphy or Gentry away for something since we don't need another OF on the roster.

That reminds me, add Odor to my list of untouchables

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That reminds me, add Odor to my list of untouchables

Prospects don't always pan out. I'd say most of the time they don't. Look at Smoak, glad we didn't keep him and miss out on Lee the first time.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I'm not saying wipe out the farm system, but when you can get an established guy for a prospect, you do it 99% of the time. If you protect everyone from trades you end up with logjams and washouts.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prospects don't always pan out. I'd say most of the time they don't. Look at Smoak, glad we didn't keep him and miss out on Lee the first time.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I'm not saying wipe out the farm system, but when you can get an established guy for a prospect, you do it 99% of the time. If you protect everyone from trades you end up with logjams and washouts.

Like I said. My untouchables include Profar, Martin and maybe Perez. That kid can pitch and I don't want him going anywhere. Maybe Alfaro due to our history of no catching depth. I'd hate to let Olt go, but for the right piece I definitely would. Especially if it nets us a WS.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels agreed to a 6 yr deal 144 million. Let's offer them a chance to unload some salary.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your list is getting awfully long.

Its mostly a list of guys I'd hate to see get traded and no one out there I'd be willing to trade them for, thats the great thing about depth in the system, you don't have to

its 5 players; Profar, Perez, Alfaro, Odor, Buckel, not really that long, and they're of varying Tier qualities, so there are always other players in their same tier to trade instead

Last edited by a moderator:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar is my only untouchable. Everyone else we can block from ever seeing the majors by either what is on the team or with a trade right now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Profar is my only untouchable. Everyone else we can block from ever seeing the majors by either what is on the team or with a trade right now.

Even Profar can be blocked, in fact he's more blocked to me than someone like Alfaro

Catching depth in the system is probably even worse than our OF depth in the system