• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, both teams should be honored forever as Undefeated, Untied, Bowl Championship Teams. There is nothing that either team could have done to have been better that season. Let the trophies fall where they may.

That being said, I think it would have been a helluva game.

I liked Nebraska's offense better, but Michigan had a salty defense, and Charles Woodson was a special generational player (even though I didn't think so at the time). Both teams won when they were not at their best (NU @ Mizzou and Michigan vs. Iowa).

However, there are two things I think give the nod to Nebraska. First, NU beat SEC Champion Tennessee with Peyton Manning in the Orange like a drum. The same Tennessee team that opened the year beating Co-Pac 10 Champion @ UCLA - who shared the title with Wash. State - which Michigan barely beat in the Rose.

Plus, Michigan did not beat one single team who won a Bowl Game that season. Moreover, the teams that Michigan beat who did Bowl were all throttled in their Bowl Games and averaged single digits of offense in those games.

So, it makes me wonder how truly great the defense was? It was obviously better than most, but they the B1G was offensively challenged that year, and it was exploited across the board in Bowl Games that year.

I ranked Nebraska #1 and Michigan #2, but I do think it would have been a GREAT game! 'Twould have been a great year for a 4 team playoff!

Just my onion.

Obviously, you are one of those posters who doesn't read the entire thread. If you read any of my posts in this thread, you will realize I posted all of this and more.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the thread, you will notice how @TrustMeIamRight thinks he is smarter than everyone, such as when he said he referenced one site for SOS but then when I posted it, he ignored it, that site showed that Nebraska was ranked higher, as did several other sites.

Or when he said there was only one common opponent, I pointed out there were two.

He then said defense wins championships, I pointed out that Boston College has the #1 defense in the nation that year, yet, they lost every game in the ACC that year.

Then he talks about how people are using the transitive property, but always uses it.

Michigan played a bunch of inferior teams and it showed in the bowl games.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, you are one of those posters who doesn't read the entire thread. If you read any of my posts in this thread, you will realize I posted all of this and more.
You are correct, I didn't read all 20 pages. I simply gave my opinion on the matter after the thread popped back up. Was not trying to agree with or contradict any other person's point of view.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know how I know Nebraska was the best team???

"EYE TEST"

th

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am blind, but I just tried youtubing 1997 Nebraska and Michigan. Thinking that someone would have made a video comparing the two squads, highlights, stats, etc... you know, the game that never was crap. All I found were separate videos on each team.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read the thread, you will notice how @TrustMeIamRight thinks he is smarter than everyone, such as when he said he referenced one site for SOS but then when I posted it, he ignored it, that site showed that Nebraska was ranked higher, as did several other sites.

Or when he said there was only one common opponent, I pointed out there were two.

He then said defense wins championships, I pointed out that Boston College has the #1 defense in the nation that year, yet, they lost every game in the ACC that year.

Then he talks about how people are using the transitive property, but always uses it.

Michigan played a bunch of inferior teams and it showed in the bowl games.

Is this still going? I’d think Nebraska fans would be ecstatic with the going away present they gave Tom Osborne in 1997. Instead, 20 years later, they want to continue to talk about it.

Yes, the team who needed an illegal kick on a last second miracle pass play to force overtime against a mediocre Missouri team was the number one team in the country.

The fact Tom Osborne decides to announce his retirement before the bowl game had nothing to do with getting sympathy votes from the media and Scott Frost didn’t cry and whine to every reporter trying to convince them Nebraska was the best.

Crazy how times has changed. Scott Frost is now HC of a mediocre football program and Nebraska is now a women’s volleyball school.:suds:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this still going? I’d think Nebraska fans would be ecstatic with the going away present they gave Tom Osborne in 1997. Instead, 20 years later, they want to continue to talk about it.

Yes, the team who needed an illegal kick on a last second miracle pass play to force overtime against a mediocre Missouri team was the number one team in the country.

The fact Tom Osborne decides to announce his retirement before the bowl game had nothing to do with getting sympathy votes from the media and Scott Frost didn’t cry and whine to every reporter trying to convince them Nebraska was the best.

Crazy how times has changed. Scott Frost is now HC of a mediocre football program and Nebraska is now a women’s volleyball school.:suds:
IBH.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan hasa football team?

Yes, but after playing Nebraska this year, I’d be hard pressed to call what Nebraska plays is football.

Prior to the scrubs on the field on the final drive of the game — Michigan was winning 56-3 and outgained then 491-52. And no, that isn’t a misprint.:lol:

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago Bulls and it’s not even close

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but after playing Nebraska this year, I’d be hard pressed to call what Nebraska plays is football.

Prior to the scrubs on the field on the final drive of the game — Michigan was winning 56-3 and outgained then 491-52. And no, that isn’t a misprint.:lol:
ywQ8lmp.gif

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah man it was my attempt at being a smartass.

Sarcasm isn't for everyone

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah man it was my attempt at being a smartass.

Sarcasm isn't for everyone

For Nebraska fans (who I actually respect quite a few on here), I wish I was being sarcastic, but that isn’t the case.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously you are an asshole. Most people aren’t reading 400+ posts, especially on a topic as old and worn out as this one.

Even if NU would’ve beaten Michigan, they did NOT beat Missouri. Spin it however you want, but that 97 title was a GIFT for Nebraska.

And I say that as someone with no love at all for Michigan. The best thing I can say about Michigan is that they aren’t Texas.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska is the clear loser here because they've been obsessed about this for over 20 years.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Nebraska fans (who I actually respect quite a few on here), I wish I was being sarcastic, but that isn’t the case.

I was the one being sarcastic, Nebraska has won 8 games in two years and we got curb stomped by Michigan. Michigan has had the most success in recent years as the program has ever had.

I was kidding, just joking around. I wasn't being serious.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you are an asshole. Most people aren’t reading 400+ posts, especially on a topic as old and worn out as this one.

Even if NU would’ve beaten Michigan, they did NOT beat Missouri. Spin it however you want, but that 97 title was a GIFT for Nebraska.

And I say that as someone with no love at all for Michigan. The best thing I can say about Michigan is that they aren’t Texas.

Even Nebraska fans know the 97 co-champ was a going away gift to Osborne. It is exactly why he announced he was retiring when he did. He knew it’d get him sympathy votes. It is also why Scott Frost whined in front of every microphone he could find how they deserved a split.
It is also why 20 years later — Nebraska fans are still trying to justify it.
It is, what it is. It was a LONG time ago — no one cares anymore.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why are you assholes here talking about it?

A Oklahoma fan made the thread. Nearest I can tell only 3 Husker fans have commented in a thread of 21 pages.

Husker fans don't talk about this because there is no discussion.

Would any ohia state fans like to talk about how your god urban covered up domestic abuse for ten years?

See this is why I stay in my yard. If Nebraska is so irrelevant then don't talk about us. But you can't because you are jealous and you know ohia state is about to shit the bed

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're Michigan fans that lost av bets and don't like to admit that they would have lost in 97.