• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who was the best team in 1997/Nebraska or Michigan/Discuss

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska obviously if we go by who would win 99 times out of 100.

But wait, the backup for Michigan in '97 was Brady. That game happens in real life, Griese goes down early and Nebraska fans spend the last 20 years wondering what the fuck happened.
In that scenario, Brady would have come in and played his last game of organized football. Nobody would know his name.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is brutal

th

Good_Code

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a keg for 5 of us, 2 of whom were from Nebraska and huge husker fans. They partied so hard when NEB
won they downed have that keg themselves. Then one of them puked and his face turned black. Turns out he broke blood vessels in his face from forcefull vomiting. Then he went to the bathroom and lost his balance and and fell into the bathtub where he hit his head. I guess it was all worth it for him cuz Nebraska won

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had a keg for 5 of us, 2 of whom were from Nebraska and huge husker fans. They partied so hard when NEB
won they downed have that keg themselves. Then one of them puked and his face turned black. Turns out he broke blood vessels in his face from forcefull vomiting. Then he went to the bathroom and lost his balance and and fell into the bathtub where he hit his head. I guess it was all worth it for him cuz Nebraska won
Light weight.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like there is still some debating this.
Seems clear.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact anyone would prefer that retarded system to today is laughable

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to be Slippery Rock.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most michigan fans know that they would have lost, but I don't blame them for clinging to the only championship they have HAD since 1948... and it would be only their second since the AP even started (1936).

#MichiganMostOverratedBlueBlood

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flaunt-it-black-satin-lace-snap-crotch-teddy-85.png

If you read my posts in this thread, it is clear.

Tonight, ESPN kept telling us how great the Miami defense was in 2018. Right................

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most michigan fans know that they would have lost, but I don't blame them for clinging to the only championship they have HAD since 1948... and it would be only their second since the AP even started (1936).

#MichiganMostOverratedBlueBlood

Michigan has no more of a claim to being a blue blood than Pitt or Minnesota.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually saw both of these teams play that year, and it's not really close.
Nebraska was head and shoulders better.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, both teams should be honored forever as Undefeated, Untied, Bowl Championship Teams. There is nothing that either team could have done to have been better that season. Let the trophies fall where they may.

That being said, I think it would have been a helluva game.

I liked Nebraska's offense better, but Michigan had a salty defense, and Charles Woodson was a special generational player (even though I didn't think so at the time). Both teams won when they were not at their best (NU @ Mizzou and Michigan vs. Iowa).

However, there are two things I think give the nod to Nebraska. First, NU beat SEC Champion Tennessee with Peyton Manning in the Orange like a drum. The same Tennessee team that opened the year beating Co-Pac 10 Champion @ UCLA - who shared the title with Wash. State - which Michigan barely beat in the Rose.

Plus, Michigan did not beat one single team who won a Bowl Game that season. Moreover, the teams that Michigan beat who did Bowl were all throttled in their Bowl Games and averaged single digits of offense in those games.

So, it makes me wonder how truly great the defense was? It was obviously better than most, but they the B1G was offensively challenged that year, and it was exploited across the board in Bowl Games that year.

I ranked Nebraska #1 and Michigan #2, but I do think it would have been a GREAT game! 'Twould have been a great year for a 4 team playoff!

Just my onion.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is brutal

th

Their lone win was over a winless Illinois team. John Smith did a nice job turning the program around after that though, 1998 was the first of 9 consecutive bowl appearances.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, both teams should be honored forever as Undefeated, Untied, Bowl Championship Teams. There is nothing that either team could have done to have been better that season. Let the trophies fall where they may.

I liked Nebraska's offense better, but Michigan had a salty defense, and Charles Woodson was a special generational player (even though I didn't think so at the time). Both teams won when they were not at their best (NU @ Mizzou and Michigan vs. Iowa).

However, there are two things I think give the nod to Nebraska. First, NU beat SEC Champion Tennessee with Peyton Manning in the Orange like a drum. The same Tennessee team that opened the year beating Co-Pac 10 Champion @ UCLA - who shared the title with Wash. State - which Michigan barely beat in the Rose.

Plus, Michigan did not beat one single team who won a Bowl Game that season. Moreover, the teams that Michigan beat who did Bowl were all throttled in their Bowl Games and averaged single digits of offense in those games.

So, it makes me wonder how truly great the defense was? It was obviously better than most, but they the B1G was offensively challenged that year, and it was exploited across the board in Bowl Games that year.

I ranked Nebraska #1 and Michigan #2, but I do think it would have been a GREAT game! 'Twould have been a great year for a 4 team playoff!

Just my onion.

There's no way that Michigan team would have been able to keep up with the point-scoring that Nebraska would put on them. It might be close for a quarter, quarter and a half, then *boom*, Frost, Ahman Green and that offensive line would be optioning left, optioning right, quarterback-keeping, and pitch-sweeping all over that Maize n Blue ass. Let's not forget, that Tennessee was a VERY good team that year in Peyton's final season, and Nebraska made them look like chumps in the Orange Bowl

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my onion.

I'm not sure that Michigan would have been Florida State that year.