• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who, instead of Ebron?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't include some type of trade scenerio that we don't know anything about. Who would've been your pick at 10 and justify it?

Here's an athlete that everyone was aware of being linked to Detroit, who happens to be an elite prospects on offense by some accounts, yet Lions fans are pouting because a defensive player wasnt chosen. Two different analyst go on record, stating Ebron is more athletic than Vernon Davis but less shifty. Ebron brings things to the table that the Lions didnt have. He's already a better option at TE and WR, than most of what the Lions had.

How goofy would it be to implement at N.O style offense without a TE that can play that role? Pettigrew and Fauria are not those type of players. Why sign Pettigrew is the next question fans ask? That should be the easiest answer to come up with. Fans should consider how Ebron potentially makes Pettigrew and Fauria better.

I understand the anger though. Watkins and Evans got snatched right up before the Lions eyes, only to then witness Cleveland snatch Gilbert up with a planned trade (dont think Cleveland didnt know the Lions needed a CB). Those were my top three players on the wish-list. After all, Mayhew must follow the blueprints that the fans lay out because they have watched and studied tons of YouTube videos and read various blogs and such. I guess the Lions were supposed accept any trade offer made also. Someone has to be pissed though. If they werent, this wouldnt be any fun.

These actions make things interesting to me. Like I said, fans will be pissed all up until we must state why the Lions are a good team compared to others. Soon, we will see the minds change right before our eyes. Tonight, the Lions take the BPA and I think it will be defense, but prepare yourselves. Some of those WRs are better than the defensive players available.

Im still impressed about the teams that go for who they want and aren't scared to take chances. Buffalo got a steal with Watkins and they got to keep all of their 2014 picks. Cleveland didnt even give Detroit a chance at the best CB.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason to try. Ebron was taken and now I must look forward to this evenings selections. With the old regime in place, I would be dumbfounded. The fact I have no clue what schemes and sets Lombardi and Caldwell plan to run. i can not judge the pick, yet!

I am not worried about what % certain players are on the field. Just as long as when it's 2 TE or one it works. Might see 3 TE set this year in red zone. Fauria was red zone beast because his height alone. He had 18 recs. 18 why? he is not a TE who can hurt you in the seams from anywhere.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've sat here and thought about a better option but I cant do it without including my own selfish thoughts. I just want people to at least let everything play out before we crucify everything they do. They needed this type of player from my perspective.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald. It'd give us instant leverage with the Suh contract negotiations and would let us light a real fire under Fairley. DL rotation depth is always very useful to keep the line fresh and able to put pressure on the QB - look at how many games last year the Lions dominated in the first half and then were dominated in the second half.

Lewan wouldn't have bothered me either - premium linemen are worth their weight in gold.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donald. It'd give us instant leverage with the Suh contract negotiations and would let us light a real fire under Fairley. DL rotation depth is always very useful to keep the line fresh and able to put pressure on the QB - look at how many games last year the Lions dominated in the first half and then were dominated in the second half.

Lewan wouldn't have bothered me either - premium linemen are worth their weight in gold.

Yep.

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've sat here and thought about a better option but I cant do it without including my own selfish thoughts. I just want people to at least let everything play out before we crucify everything they do. They needed this type of player from my perspective.

For offense yes, there were no better options.

With the new CBA the rookie $$ being smaller IMO reaches are not as severe. There was players of need. Could they take certain players at 10 without scrutiny? Most likely not. Aaron Donald for the fact of uncertainity at position. A DB whether CB or S could have been picked. Shazier is pick that would have been considered a reach.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are reasonable choices but I perfer to keep Waddle right where he is and I wouldn't like Donald at 10.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How goofy would it be to implement at N.O style offense without a TE that can play that role? Pettigrew and Fauria are not those type of players. Why sign Pettigrew is the next question fans ask? That should be the easiest answer to come up with. Fans should consider how Ebron potentially makes Pettigrew and Fauria better.

Yes...Why sign Pettigrew instead of Willie Young? Horrible.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the value in the Ebron pick.

If you need an athletic TE to run your scheme, have major depth issues at WR and could use an upgrade at TE, why not take a player like Ebron who helps solve those issues. Its a solid investment.

Taking Donald pushes Suh and Fairley further out the door, imo. That situatuon could get ugly.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the value in the Ebron pick.

If you need an athletic TE to run your scheme, have major depth issues at WR and could use an upgrade at TE, why not take a player like Ebron who helps solve those issues. Its a solid investment.

Taking Donald pushes Suh and Fairley further out the door, imo. That situatuon could get ugly.

That situation is already ugly. Not taking Donald just made it uglier.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the Lions now have one of the best groups of TEs in the league now to go with a solid pairing of Tate and CJ and Bell and Bush. Im glad they kept Pettigrew.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pettigrew's guaranteed money is done after this year anyway. We could always cut ties with him after the season.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thats not entirely accurate. His 2015 salary of $2.8m guarantees in March 2015. It's extremely hard for teams to make cuts that early which is why agents want that as part of their clients deals. It likely coincides with the first day of the new league year. If he isnt released before then he will be a $5.8m cap hit. He'll be a $3m cap hit even if they do release him before then.

The Clown Show in Detroit has nothing on Barnum & Bailey.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too late for me. Save yourselves.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who, instead of Ebron?

Zack Martin. Not even close to sexy but safe, versatile, and addresses two gaping holes in that o-line. It's a smart pick, one that dipshit Millenhew has never made.

We've debated whether Waddle should be a LT, whether Reiff is better inside, Sims is an UFA after the season, Ravioli is at the end of his career. He was an absolutely perfect fit and still accomplishes the improvement in the passing game that people who thought adding another WR would do.

Best way to improve the passing game is to improve the running game. We dont scare anyone on the ground so opposing D's go all in on the pass rush and add an additional defender on the back end. While we dont give up a lot of sacks its because Stafford unloads the pass quickly, right into the arms of opposing DB's. Then he goes to the sideline and eats a hot dog while he looks at pictures trying to figure out why there are so many DB's on the field.

Martin's versatility allows the Lions to truly find the best fit spots for their players. A TE who cant block was the typical stupid pick by Millenhew. Too early, could have traded back, and more luxury than need. He's a Lion so I root for him but its just another notch in the bedpost of why Millenhew is just as bad a GM as his predecessor and continues to follow the same blueprint for failure.

And there are still plenty of good WR's left that we could get tonight. And there was also talk of Stevie Johnson being available for cheap. Another blown opportunity in my book.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would of took douche bag , mustache finger Lewan over Ebron.

Donald is nice too but is strictly a 3 tech in a 4-3 front. If they re-sign Suh, it would be a completely wasted pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, cant buy the Zack Martin arguement. The o-line is fine and they are not the reason why this team haf problems scoring.
Ebron > Martin.

If the Lions need a guard, Filo might be available at 45.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my place, I know, but I would have taken ANY of the defensive players left on the board over Ebron.

Ebron may be a stud, but I can't think of a position less-needed on your team. Taking the best available player is a great strategy, unless you already are stacked at that position.

I gotta be honest, I thought it was the biggest shock of the 1st rd.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why give up on Waddle? He is what the fans have been asking for.